Is Douglas River Dead?

copycat

Photo from Amadeus on the thread looking out to Tesco reminds me that as far as I know there were no spring sea trout or salmon caught in the Douglas River - is this because its now dead to aquatic life 'cos of previous pollution and oil spills - there used to be quite a few fish caught at the weir just up from Tescos but now nothing at all. sad :( makes me wonder why the the river fishing licence is so expensive. Are there any fish these days in the Sulby or did the reservoir and water treatment works kill them off too?

Photo from Amadeus on the thread looking out to Tesco reminds me that as far as I know there were no spring sea trout or salmon caught in the Douglas River - is this because its now dead to aquatic life 'cos of previous pollution and oil spills - there used to be quite a few fish caught at the weir just up from Tescos but now nothing at all. sad :( makes me wonder why the the river fishing licence is so expensive. Are there any fish these days in the Sulby or did the reservoir and water treatment works kill them off too?

Perhaps Tesco are catching all the fish and selling them back to people?

Perhaps the fish are getting smarter?

Perhaps you're not hanging out with enough fishing dudes?

I think you're onto something with the Sulby reservoir though - all that water was bound to f*ck them up one day.

Anyway. The pub down the road from me is REALLY quiet tonight. Has it been forced to close down? Are Heritage Homes going to turn it into executive apartments and if so, at what cost to local alcoholics? Has a deadly oil spill engulfed the punters? I think we should be told.

Could you do me a favor, go down there, dunk your head in the water for half an hour and if you come back then you must be right.

I'm hoping you dont.

My local shop closed early tonight, do you know why?

Perhaps this should be in the fishing thread elsewhere, but can anyone explain how you farm salmon? They are migratory yet holding them in one place for their life cycle seems counter productive. Is it because they are held near their spawning ground so when they mature will 'know' where they are and so produce the necessary zygotes (edited to correct after a Google, should be haploid nuclei) to breed?

Genuine question. No doubt I will have some less than genuine answers! :rolleyes:

(And I just know Grant is going to be the first to reply!)

Perhaps this should be in the fishing thread elsewhere, but can anyone explain how you farm salmon? They are migratory yet holding them in one place for their life cycle seems counter productive. Is it because they are held near their spawning ground so when they mature will 'know' where they are and so produce the necessary zygotes (edited to correct after a Google, should be haploid nuclei) to breed?

Genuine question. No doubt I will have some less than genuine answers! :rolleyes:

(And I just know Grant is going to be the first to reply!)

Farmed salmon are reared in Large pens off the coast/in lochs purely for the consumer market, the eggs are fertilised artificially by the companies involved in the venture , grown to a certain size, then put in the pens to grow to maturity,being fed on a diet of pellets,antibiotics and red dye (to give the flesh colour)this makes them a far inferior fish to a wild salmon.

They will never swim free and as such ,don't need a homing system to find their way upstream to spawn.

Photo from Amadeus on the thread looking out to Tesco reminds me that as far as I know there were no spring sea trout or (salmon caught in the Douglas River - is this because its now dead to aquatic life 'cos of previous pollution and oil spills - there used to be quite a few fish caught at the weir just up from Tescos but now nothing at all. sad :( makes me wonder why the the river fishing licence is so expensive. Are there any fish these days in the Sulby or did the reservoir and water treatment works kill them off too?

Manx rivers as a rule are what you would call " Late" ,in so much as there has never been a spring run of salmon/seatrout . You might get the odd fish running if there has been rain ,but no quantity.Seatrout tend to move up into the rivers on a more regular basis around start-mid august ,usually staying on the lower reaches (unless there has been rain then they will run further upstream) .There are still fish to be caught in manx rivers but not in the quantities they once were.

Poaching over the years has done quite a bit of damage to stocks as has pollution(the worst offenders in recent years being various govm't agencies)

The department of agriculture and fisheries has run a re-stocking programme for years! but in my opinion it is nowhere near as effective as it could be due to the system of breeding they use .

What they do is this

Electronically stun"" migratory fish from different locations around the island in the late season.

They then take all these fish from different rivers up to the hatchery in cornaa ,where they mix the sperm and eggs

together regardless of where the fish was captured ,before leaving them in ponds in the cornaa river untill they are ready to be released back into the wild . When the fish are ready they are placed back in various river locations around the island.

Which basicly means that they have mixed up the genetic imprint from various strains of fish and then put the fish back

in a different location (in all probability ) from where both its parents where caught originally .Is it any wonder that the fish may find it hard to find its way back to the correct river to spawn ,when you mix up all the genes to such an extent???

I know with certainty that there are plenty of fish at the point of ayre and around the Islands coast,so why are we not seeing them in the rivers ???????.

(I hope this helps clarify why you are not seeing many fish in july) .

I know with certainty that there are plenty of fish at the point of ayre and around the Islands coast,so why are we not seeing them in the rivers ???????.

Err, could that be because there is a difference between freshwater and saltwater fish? There are fish in the rivers, ask Karen McHarg (DAFF's Inland Fisheries Manager).

Photo from Amadeus on the thread looking out to Tesco reminds me that as far as I know there were no spring sea trout or (salmon caught in the Douglas River - is this because its now dead to aquatic life 'cos of previous pollution and oil spills - there used to be quite a few fish caught at the weir just up from Tescos but now nothing at all. sad :( makes me wonder why the the river fishing licence is so expensive. Are there any fish these days in the Sulby or did the reservoir and water treatment works kill them off too?

Manx rivers as a rule are what you would call " Late" ,in so much as there has never been a spring run of salmon/seatrout . You might get the odd fish running if there has been rain ,but no quantity.Seatrout tend to move up into the rivers on a more regular basis around start-mid august ,usually staying on the lower reaches (unless there has been rain then they will run further upstream) .There are still fish to be caught in manx rivers but not in the quantities they once were.

Poaching over the years has done quite a bit of damage to stocks as has pollution(the worst offenders in recent years being various govm't agencies)

The department of agriculture and fisheries has run a re-stocking programme for years! but in my opinion it is nowhere near as effective as it could be due to the system of breeding they use .

What they do is this

Electronically stun"" migratory fish from different locations around the island in the late season.

They then take all these fish from different rivers up to the hatchery in cornaa ,where they mix the sperm and eggs

together regardless of where the fish was captured ,before leaving them in ponds in the cornaa river untill they are ready to be released back into the wild . When the fish are ready they are placed back in various river locations around the island.

Which basicly means that they have mixed up the genetic imprint from various strains of fish and then put the fish back

in a different location (in all probability ) from where both its parents where caught originally .Is it any wonder that the fish may find it hard to find its way back to the correct river to spawn ,when you mix up all the genes to such an extent???

(I hope this helps clarify why you are not seeing many fish in july) .

ah so - all is clear - thanks very much for that info.

Err, could that be because there is a difference between freshwater and saltwater fish? There are fish in the rivers, ask Karen McHarg (DAFF's Inland Fisheries Manager).

He's talking about anadromous fish like Salmon and Sea Trout, they're both freshwater and saltwater.

Archived