Is Douglas River Dead?

copycat

I know with certainty that there are plenty of fish at the point of ayre and around the Islands coast,so why are we not seeing them in the rivers ???????.

Err, could that be because there is a difference between freshwater and saltwater fish? There are fish in the rivers, ask Karen McHarg (DAFF's Inland Fisheries Manager).

To my eternal shame I have killed more than my fair share of migratory fish over the years (salmonand seatrout duh????)

If you had bothered to read properly, the thread of the article you would see the point I was trying to make

i:e .

That the board of" ag+fish Halfwits" have for years been taking migratory fish from different rivers ,mixing up the genetic imprints of fish from different rivers ,rearing them in yet another river(cornaa!!) then putting them back in yet another river and wonder why there is no bulk of fish returning to the rivers to spawn 3-5 years down the line .

Yet there are plenty of migratory fish around the islands coast trying to find their way to their home river ,but in all probability "fucked up " by the incompetence of the guys who bred them in the first place ?.???

"There is a difference between freshwater and saltwater fish" ? No kidding???????

Please tell me you're not really that stupid," mojomonkey" ?

As for the D.A.F.F they are about as much use, as a government worker!!!!!!!!.

No worries mojomonkey!

When Iwas a kid I stood by the side of a well known salmon pool in Peel with my father and we counted fifty -six salmon passing through in half an hour! ( that would be mid seventies) most rivers in the isle of man were the same ,it saddens me to see the amount of damage that has been caused over the years by pollution,poaching etc.!!

So I do tend to get on my soapbox with subjects such as this ,knowing as I do that things could be so much better in manx rivers ,with a little more thought and common sense from the powers that be????.

Driving out of Tesco this afternoon I noticed one of the Insituform sewer repair trucks with a big hose hanging over into the river.

I hope they weren't pumping reclaimed shit into it

What !pumping reclaimed shit into Tescos?????

As a kid I used to fish the Silverburn River (off topic - but heh!) - mainly around the Ballasalla, but also down towards Castletown.

The river seemd to be mostly populated with brown trout - some getting up to fairly reasonable sizes, however after the flooding in the early 80's, it seemed modifications were made near the sewage works in Silverburn, and this dropped the water level of the river, most my old fishing spots now have barely 6 inches of water, where years ago it might have been a meter or more.

The resevoirs (AFAIK the rivers also) seem to be only stocked with rainbow trout - these trout are not native and must make it harder for the native 'brownies' to survive, rainbow trout grow much quicker than the brownies, and I assume they are stocked for the anglers for this reason.

Would it be better for DAFF to farm the native species of freshwater fish, rather than non-native species.

There also used to be a quarry near Rushen Abbey (now filled with rubbish & no water there anymore) where there were lots of Perch - is there anywhere else on the Island where Perch can be caught?

Regarding pollution, is it true that a Ballasalla farmer has been paid by the Gov to dispose of IRIS waste and has polluted some of the rivers around the Port Grenaugh & Santon Gorge area????

No worries mojomonkey!

When Iwas a kid I stood by the side of a well known salmon pool in Peel with my father and we counted fifty -six salmon passing through in half an hour! ( that would be mid seventies) most rivers in the isle of man were the same ,it saddens me to see the amount of damage that has been caused over the years by pollution,poaching etc.!!

So I do tend to get on my soapbox with subjects such as this ,knowing as I do that things could be so much better in manx rivers ,with a little more thought and common sense from the powers that be????.

it would be mid-seventies that I last went fishing and I too seem to remember that sort of number of fish and also in the Douglas River at the first weir in the Nunnery - now there doesn't seem to be anything to be seen at all and not even with my trust Polaroids. Its just very sad and disappointing. :(

Maybe someone will come on and say there are still some good fish runs - here's hoping.

As a kid I used to fish the Silverburn River (off topic - but heh!) - mainly around the Ballasalla, but also down towards Castletown.

The river seemd to be mostly populated with brown trout - some getting up to fairly reasonable sizes, however after the flooding in the early 80's, it seemed modifications were made near the sewage works in Silverburn, and this dropped the water level of the river, most my old fishing spots now have barely 6 inches of water, where years ago it might have been a meter or more.

The resevoirs (AFAIK the rivers also) seem to be only stocked with rainbow trout - these trout are not native and must make it harder for the native 'brownies' to survive, rainbow trout grow much quicker than the brownies, and I assume they are stocked for the anglers for this reason.

Would it be better for DAFF to farm the native species of freshwater fish, rather than non-native species.

There also used to be a quarry near Rushen Abbey (now filled with rubbish & no water there anymore) where there were lots of Perch - is there anywhere else on the Island where Perch can be caught?

Regarding pollution, is it true that a Ballasalla farmer has been paid by the Gov to dispose of IRIS waste and has polluted some of the rivers around the Port Grenaugh & Santon Gorge area????

so that'll be no fish coming up there either then :(

so that'll be no fish coming up there either then :(

It wont help but if you do catch any , make sure they are well cooked ??/

Archived