Holy Grail Of Biotechnology –

bluemonday

As an example of scientific enquiry into one of the most complex and important areas of biochemistry I like this article, but I cannot help feeling that the article is trying to stamp its opinion on a scientist who is trying to saying things are much more grey than the black and white ethical or non-ethical stem cell line that the journalist is claiming.

“Do not stop stem-cell research with human embryos, because patients will die if you do stop.”

"What we cannot do ... is to let the optimism over my science hold us back from conducting research on embryonic stem cells while we are waiting for the alternative"

Although Professor Yamanaka’s work was welcomed by the opponents of the use of human embryos in stem-cell research, answering their objections was not his main motive.

I have a big problem with the whole idea of ethical vrs unethical stem cells.

People, we are chemical reactions - those chemical reactions are awesomely complex, but I firmly disagree with the idea that there is some sacred line which we cannot cross in science because we are experimenting on the chemistry involved with the human egg and sperm and how they develop.

If you don't believe (as Monty Python put it) that every sperm is sacred I have great problem seeing what suddenly makes a zygote so special.

The only fundamental objection I can find is the religious idea that life is "created" at conception - and more importantly for those objecting - that life is accompanied by some sort of soul.

I totally disagree with those ideas - life isn't created, its passed on - and has been for billions and billions of years. For me that is one of the most special things science has taught us - the unity of life - your great great great and so on a billion billion or so times grand parents were a part of the prebiotic soup! The same can be said about your pet dog, the chimpanzee and the nemotode worm.

How life is passed on is down to how chemical reactions become increasingly self sufficient as a sperm and an egg interact firstly with each other and then with the chemistry of the mothers womb. If there are difficulties with any of these, and an infinity of other things, then life isn't passed on.

A sperm and egg only has the potential to become life and so does a zygote, or a gamete - and if they aren't in the environment of the womb that potential is zero. As a result I have no objections to good science been conducted on these things out of the womb - though I would have many objections if they were carried out on the same chemistry inside a mother hoping to create a baby - that is the difference between the two situations and where the ethical argument should lie, not with any false line between life and non life at conception.

I am very glad the UK has taken a pragmatic approach to stem cell research and I find the attempts of the religiously motivated to link this issue to abortion and the sacredness of life as a ploy to enforce religious beliefs on people.

I see no reason why this area of science should be under some veil of religious secrecy which cannot be lifted. Understanding the chemistry of life has huge prospects in improving medicine and our understanding of the world.

There are very strong ethics commitees and regulations monitoring these issues, these take a wide range of ideas whether humanist, Christian, Jewish, etc. I don't want a religious group hyjacking the issue and rigidly saying what is ethical or unethical in stem cell research. The Japanese researcher seems to understand that, the journalist who wrote the article would not seem to.

Agreed. So much is promised with stem cell research it is good to have an unemotional assessment of what is and is not life.

Don't something like (making a real guess here, but I know it is a very high proportion) 75% of zygotes never implant and become part of the normal menstruation?

Archived