Organ Donation

bluemonday

Everyone should be on the donor organ register unless they opt to be removed says the UK govs Chief Medical Officer.

He says current demand means the number of people on the register needs to treble. I did register online as a donor a couple of years ago - I'd previously always carried a donor card but figured a permanent commitment via the online register was a better option.

BUT

Tomothy Statham, CE of the National Kidney Federations says the idea won't cause a dramatic rise in ops as the NHS does not have the surgeons, intensive care beds or money to carry out the ops.

Not sure I'm happy with the element of compulsion.

Opinions/views?

I'm all for an opt in programme provided it's heavily promoted and everyone is made aware without exception. It should be tied in with registering to vote or something to make sure people think about it on a regular basis.

I suppose its a good idea really, I would gladly donate my organs when I die and I carry a donor card but its something I havent spoken to my family about so would they know?. It must be really difficult for a Doctor to ask a family to donate a loved ones organs when they have just died and this would take away this problem. You would have the choice not to donate your organs and it would probably force people to talk about the issue more and not leave your family with the dilemma of what they should do when you have passed on.

Does the manx driving licence act as a donor card which you have to opt out off?

Yes, (NO!)* there are also options on there for which parts of you they can take if you're particular about it. It also allows them to use bits of you for research and training unless you specify otherwise. I don't want them using any part of me they wish, I'm all for donating organs to save others but I'd rather not give them my limbs or eyes :unsure: So I ticked the boxes for major organs only, not that I intend on them being usable when I eventually die of old age!

Edit to add: *I lied, it's a yes/no tick the box thing. Oops.

I think it should be OPT OUT if your that bothered about keeping any bits then it's up to you to specify so - agreed it should be some kind of annual choice along with voting or something however.

I would say it's a good idea as it'd be a catch all for all those who wouldn't object to donating but never get round to getting a card, however the danger is that the family of someone who's quite happy to donate their organs won't know about that choice and may disagree. Who do the doctors obey in such a case?

With this in mind, the only way to prevent such problems is to keep the opt in system, but publicise it more and make the opportunity to opt in something that people don't have to go out of their way to do - like a form delivered to every address annually in the same way as you register to vote.

What about children? Would they be subject to the 'opt out' rule too? How would you opt out for a child, when they're born? When they get their first driving lisense? I suppose if it was run like a electoral register then you'd have the choice each year, it's not something you think about unless presented with the situation. It can't be an easy decision to make at the time, the way the current 'scheme' works.

This is an issue that is close to my family and I.

My son was 3yrs old when he was given the chance of a new life, he recieved a kidney transplant.

If it wasn't for the kindness and forethought of this persons family I wouldn't have a stroppy/strapping 16 yr old lad.

For the family waiting for the call from the hospital, it's awfull. Every time the phone rings you jump, only to be disappointed when it's only your Mum!! You lose your social life because your frightened that if you go out you'll miss the call. On the island the pager system didn't work and this was before mobile phone were as popular.

I'd say the waiting is definately worse than all the medications and dialysis.

Given the chance Id say it should be compulsary, But..

Some people have religious beliefs that would prevent them from doing this,

There may be medical reasons ,

And then there is the moral side of things too

I'd never force my thoughts on such a subject on anybody else, but I would ask that even if only one person reading this thinks that it is something they would like to do do PLEASE speak to your nearest and dearest, tell them this is what you would like to do. The Doctor will always speak to the legal next of kin, whether it be a Parent, Wife etc. It will be there decision, remember there beliefs and thoughts on such an emotive subject, and at a time of grief may differ from yours, so talk to them now.

I'm not sure how to put links on here being a technophobic, but if you google NHS Organ Donor Register it'll get you to the site that you can opt into the donor register.

I'm always glad when I see something on Transplants, because it's putting the subject out there and making people talk about it.

Thank you for letting a glad mum ramble on!!

I agree with an opt-out scheme. It would capture the majority of us who are too lazy or disorganized to make our wishes clearly known, yet still gives those with strong feelings on the matter the option to have their body burned, buried or preserved, stuffed and used as a hat stand if they so choose.

As far as I'm concerned my body's no use to me once I'm no longer inhabiting it. If any of it is useful to someone else, then they're welcome to it.

*Wonders if there is any law which would prevent a body being preserved, stuffed and used as a hat stand.*

*Wonders if there is any law which would prevent a body being preserved, stuffed and used as a hat stand.*

Posh?

I'm for the opt out scheme. I did used to carry a donor card many years ago, but have long since lost it and never made the effort to get a new one. The opt out scheme may also make things easier for the relatives as it could just be a simple statement that the patient had not opted out and so there would be no pressure, intended or not, brought on the relatives to make a decision to save someone else's life at a time when they are really only thinking about their own loss.

I agree with Pragmatopian, once I'm dead the bits and pieces are no longer of any use to me, so use them to the best effect you can.

Archived