Organ Donation

bluemonday

I'm on the organ donation register, though I lost my donor card - haven't seen them for a while - do they still have them?

I'm not particularly fussed about opt in or opt outs - the issue for me is informed consent.

I'd be concerned if people who did not fully understand, or know, about the issues to do with organ donation were just presumed to have consented.

What I'd like is for organ donation to be a fully discussed issue - allowing every one to understand and either agree and opt in, or disagree and opt out.

The most vital thing is discussing it with those nearest and dearest to you. Make sure they know your wishes.

My family know that if I died and my body was in a condition to help others I definitely want whatever parts of me will be useful to go to help people. Once my life is gone I wish my husk to help nurture others.

Its the discussion and the understanding of each person's wishes which is important.

If it was a yearly renewal, so people had to confront the issue and discuss it - that would be better than just a presumed opt in.

And when it comes to children - as far as I know getting small organs is doubly difficult and with the death of children its especially stressful for the doctors to ask.

People please think about it - if the unthinkable happened and your child died, for that death to give life to a dying child would be a true memorial to your child.

Also, only around 600 people a year leave their bodies for medical research. Doctor training is being undermined because of a lack of dead bodies to study.

I've seriously considered signing up for this, information on which can be got from any medical school.

Leaving your entire body might not only help someone needing an organ, but all those you leave behind too.

It is easy to say I would react this way or that in that position, but I am pretty sure that I would have no qualms about organs being used for donation if the unthinkable should happen to either of my children. If the unthinkable should happen (my replies are re my hypothetical child as I sincerely hope never to be tested on this), I would rather not be asked to be honest, but I would be OK if I knew that the normal process assumed that organs were available and would be cross-matched with potential recipients for donation, to be told later that organs were used to prolong another child's life.

However, I don't think I could allow any part of them to be used for medical research, although that, you would hope, is equally as valid, I would see it as an unnecessary pillaging of my child. Medical research covers a whole multitude of uses, some of which I may think did not warrant the invasion into my child's body.

Tricky, and all the above is hypothetical.

But, more to the point, can the IOM participate in an organ donation scheme?

I wondered about Gladys's question about the IOM - do they do transplants at Nobels? If not is the time to get the organs to Liverpool or where ever too long?

Anyone know? It would seem sad if we were out of the loop. I'm sure if the system was set up the time scales wouldn't be too long - they do intra-European transplants, so the IOM can't be that far away!

Chinahand, the distance thing is a bit of a concern, but not much as I would guess that a private hire plane would do the tranpsorting from here to an airfield close to the particular hospital and not much time would be lost (aren't most organs for transplant airlifted within the UK?).

But it is more that the IOM links in to a database which identifies the availability and then the match of the required organ.

Is there a similar reciprocal arrangement for patients needing transplants living here? I don't think there are any transplants carried out over here, but there must be patients needing transplants and, perhaps, they are covered within the scheme operated by the UK hospital that is leading in their care.

It would seem immensely bizarre if, say, a patient in need of a kidney here had to fly to the UK to receive a kidney only to find it was from a donor from the Isle of Man. Bizarre, but probably the only way it would work.

What a thought provoking post, more so when you consider your children. There must be a lot of people who wouldn't mind their organs being used, that haven't done anything about it. I'm included here, I used to carry a donor card, haven't seen it for ages. I think I may have mentioned to wife, family that I would be happy to donate.

It's not a subject a lot of people are comfortable talking about, death. I ride a bike so there's an increased possibility that my life could be cut short, who knows. For me, yes, opt out would be fine. I'm certain there would be far more organs available, so can't see how it can be a bad thing.

As for children, no parent can be sure how they would react to being asked that question, having just lost a child. Good point Gladys, not many would be thinking straight at that time, one could make a decision, (either way) and regret it when it's too late. Far better the decision is made when you are thinking straight.

Here's a suggestion, you could go one step further and say the people who do opt out of donating organs, also opt out of receiving organs!

You'd be brave to opt out then. (I would not include children in this, adults only.) Food for thought.

Some thoughtful posts.

It's concerned me that when a death happens, the last thing the family/friends etc want is to be asked - and some of the people asking need to learn the art of tact; to permit organ donation. So predetermination and promulgation of your wishes in the event of death is obviously a good thing. - as some people have said above.

To my mind, the whole area of organ donation/retention whatever, came under a cloud with the Alder Hay scandal and George Best didn't do it any favours. I was sick to death of people excusing it, Besty Blah Blah Blah. The simple fact, the man screwed his liver through booze, was given a new life by a donor then proceeded to kill himself through booze again. Besty blah blah blah. Ok he was in his time a good footballer. That doesn't detract from the fact that he was stupid enough to drink himself to death after having a second chance of life.

Frankly at the time, I almost took my name off the regsiter in disgust.

But I didn't as I realised he was a one stupid amongst many people who do appreciate the gift and benefit from having a second chance.

Further information is available on the General Registry website.

Reporting a Death to the Coroner

In any of the following circumstances the doctor may report the death to the coroner

an accident or injury

an industrial disease

during a surgical operation

before recovery from an anaesthetic

if the cause of death is unknown

the death was sudden and unexplained, for instance, a sudden infant death (cot death).

The coroner may be the only person who can certify the cause of death. The doctor will write on the Formal Notice that the death has been referred to the coroner.

If the doctor treating the deceased had not seen him or her within 28 days before death, the death must be reported to the coroner.

If the Organs or Body are to be Donated

You will have to act quickly if it was the wish of the deceased or the nearest relative to donate the organs for transplant, or the whole body for medical teaching purposes.

The usual procedure is to approach the next of kin to make sure they do not object to organ donation.

If the death has to be reported to the coroner, the coroner's consent may be necessary before the organs or body can be donated. A medical certificate must be issued before any organs can be removed from donors:

If the whole body is to be donated telephone HM Inspector of Anatomy (0171 972 4342)

It would seem immensely bizarre if, say, a patient in need of a kidney here had to fly to the UK to receive a kidney only to find it was from a donor from the Isle of Man. Bizarre, but probably the only way it would work.

Nothing bizarre about that, I met a woman who is flown to Manchester for outpatient treatment and is treated by a doctor who lives in the island.

The Manx health service is aware of the situation but continues this extravagant system rather than allow the doctor a room at Nobles one day a week.

Archived