[BBC News] Appeal for 'twinning' volunteers

Newsbot

Why twin the capital of the Isle of Man, with a nothing town, in a nothing place.

Because Kirk Michael has already snapped up Ghamrang, Nepal

Volunteers are wanted to help build links between Douglas and its new twin town, Ballymoney.

...which just goes to show how little we actually have in common with this place.

The people of Douglas should have some say as to who they twin with. Ballymoney's not even on the coast.

Though we do seem to have one thing in common - bally barmy councillors!

Volunteers are wanted to help build links between Douglas and its new twin town, Ballymoney.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6905562.stm

Douglas Corporation would do better to concentrate their minds on improving facilities in Douglas. That's what they were elected to do.

Twinning towns was a novelty 20 years ago when people didn't travel very much. But I don't see the point in this day-except as a jolly for local councillors.

They should come out of the town hall and walk about a bit to see what needs doing. Or even hold a few meetings and talk to their rate- payers.

Why twin the capital of the Isle of Man, with a nothing town, in a nothing place.

Because Kirk Michael has already snapped up Ghamrang, Nepal

Does Dhamrang have a board announcing it is twinned with Kirk Michael in the IOM? How cool would that be?!

The more I think about this the more ridiculous this is. The point of twinning, is to foster ties between disparate cultures, to get to know people and societies you wouldn't normally come into contact with. I would suggest being able to listen to your twin-town's local radio station isn't a consideration.

And how much cultural benefit will the burghers of the respective towns gain from this? It is not as if people from Northern Ireland are unknown on the streets of Douglas, hell they built most of them! I guess that the Kirk Michaelese and the Ghamrangders can have a fair old chat about the differences between living in a landlocked Asian country and a Northern European Island; what do the Douglas and Ballamoney have to talk about last night's Eastenders?

I see that Kirk Michael school uses material from Nepal in their lessons and raises money to help their Nepalese counterparts. Douglas and Ballamoney kids will be studying essentially the same subjects as each other in virtually the same language.

Then there's the disparity of the places Douglas is two and a half times the size of Ballymoney, more if you include the suburbs. Douglas is a centre for tourism, international finance, and internet betting; under industry wikipedia lists just this. I can see why the Ballamoneyites want to twin with Douglas, at least they get a holiday by the sea. What's in it for Douglas other than the knowledge that there is somewhere, smaller, less interesting, less diverse than their own town- but that's Ramsey's role!

What next? Crosby and Glen Vine become Sister Cities? Higher and Lower Foxdale become Kissing Cousin Conurbations?

Archived