Cannabis Laws Set To Be Reviewed

Amadeus

Brown (the Gordon variety) has it in for the dopeheads:

Cannabis laws set to be reviewed

The prime minister told MPs a consultation on reclassifying cannabis will be launched next week as part of a review of the entire UK drugs strategy.

The drug was downgraded to class C - which includes things such as anabolic steroids - from class B, which includes things like amphetamines, in 2004.

But there are fears more harmful forms of the drug have become available.

A Home Office spokesman said the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) will be asked to review reports that danger from cannabis is increasing due to wider availability of more potent strains such as "skunk".

There is concern stronger varieties of the drug can cause mental health problems.

Blimey - I'm against drugs, but even I think that's a daft idea...

"It says: "Recently, there have been various forms of herbal or grass-type cannabis that are generally found to be stronger than ordinary 'weed', containing on average two to three times the amount of the active compound, THC.

"These include sinsemilla (a bud grown in the absence of male plants and which has no seeds), homegrown, skunk (which has a particular strong smell) and netherweed."

There's no difference in the strength of Skunk anf suchlike now as there was when the law was changed in 2004. So why the fuss now?

Early (General) Electioneering if you ask me to pander to Daily Mail readers.

"It says: "Recently, there have been various forms of herbal or grass-type cannabis that are generally found to be stronger than ordinary 'weed', containing on average two to three times the amount of the active compound, THC.

"These include sinsemilla (a bud grown in the absence of male plants and which has no seeds), homegrown, skunk (which has a particular strong smell) and netherweed."

There's no difference in the strength of Skunk and suchlike now as there was when the law was changed in 2004. So why the fuss now?

Early (General) Electioneering if you ask me to pander to Daily Mail readers.

Blimey - I'm against drugs, but even I think that's a daft idea...

Why?

What's it gonna change? Just causes more work for the police while really changing naff all. It's illegal now and will still be illegal then - is that gonna stop anyone from having a spliff? Probably not... The reasons given do indeed look like electioneering and nothing else...

Archived