Ramsey Marina

mojomonkey

It looks like plans for a marina for Ramsey are back on the cards. I was wondering what people's views on the idea are? As you can see not all Ramsey residents seem keen on the idea.

Personally, I think that its a good idea. Surely anything that helps to revitalise Ramsey has to be a good thing. It seems to have been successful elsewhere and it appears to me that Ramsey missed out last time.

What's your thoughts?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think his shithole of a scrapyard rather detracts from the quayside area.

A marina on that stretch that leads from the swing bridge towards the mooragh park would be great, although they wouls presumably need some kind of water retention scheme

Ramsey needs this desperately. It could be a cracking town if some effort was made, a marina might not answer all the prayers but it'd be a start. They've got 1 new school, 1 on the way, a marvelous extension on the 3rd, a new pool is being built and the shitty estate is getting rebuilt. It needs more jobs or at the very least more people. I think, and hope, the new facilities tempt families in to the area, hopefully encouraging businesses to move up north too.

Well Ramsey needs something at the moment it is dirty and it needs a bloody good tidy up.

Will he care once he sells his fields up the river and the scrap yard ?

post-2080-1184884079_thumb.jpg

The marina has got to go ahead to try and get Ramsey development moving (and my house value).

The only concern that you may have is that the marina will only be accessible to incoming and outgoing ships for very limited amount of time due to the fact that when the tide is out it can be about a quarter of a mile away from where they are hoping to have the boats moored. Terry's right in saying that the only way it could work is through a water retention scheme, but the above issue would still exist.

However, quite a few people who own those kind of boats just use them as floating gin party venues anyway, so they won't be assed either way.

Not that I would be surprised, but it would be yet another blunder if the commissioners did not allow this development to happen.

It's only some of commisioners, the ones that come up with raid (Ramsey against insensitive development) last time and got there mates elected. I reckon 4 maybe 5 are still there and would be against it and they're the same ones as last time, luckily the others have gone.

I don't really understand what his objections are. How has the Peel marina impacted on House of Mananan (sp!)or car museum attendances? Douglas marina, whilst not a hive of activity, is very defintiely used. Most of the island's harbours were built for the fishing industry and with that all but gone, where is the harm in focussing on another use?

Most of the Ramsey posters on here seem to be supportive, so perhaps time to dump this Commissioner at the next election.

Whilst I agree that the place needs development, and full harbours are more photogenic than empty ones, we cannot get away from the fact that we don't live in the 'Med' with hardly any tidal range and loads of sunshine, but have to put up with some 6 - 10metres of tide twice a day. A marina will not permit more boats to enter when the tide is out, there is no wet outer harbour as in Douglas where they can berth until the tide is right to go into the marina.

I cannot get away from the fact that the land is so flat along the sulby river (the only spot height I can find on the OS map is 9metres near the Cronk Ruagh, which is considerably above the river height), I think there is only maybe 7 metres drop in some 4km from the coast, that any backing up of the water would have the effect of slowing the flow and raising the river level for a considerable distance, and although this may not have much impact for the majority of the time, it would take some serious anti-flood planning, and maybe involve dropping the flapgate to allow more flow if the crystal ball showed there was going to be heavy rain up in the hills in the next 12 hours (depending on the state of the tide), or you will have the sulby cossacks mounting a sabotage raid on the flapgate :)

The ideal solution would be to just retain the water up the old river towards the Mooragh which is quite a sizeable area, and leave the commercial areas as they are now, the only problem there would be that there is no inflow of water up-side of the flap from the Mooragh side without pumping or piping from higher up the river to compensate for water loss. maybe the ideal solution would be dam the old river near the shipyard and make a new entrance and flapgate in the corner of the outer harbour and entrance under the road at the north side of the bridge, that would simplify having to swing the old bridge so often, it may not stand the wear and tear being that it was built in 1892.

Timely reports on this forum of torrential rain in Ramsey today illustrate how unpredictable the weather is, it's been a beautiful day for most of the Island !

(somewhere I have old photos of rowing boats on the river up near the Garey, maybe there will be scenes like that again in the future !)

Ramsey habour is a very important area for wading birds, also there's a limit to how many marinas the Island can support. The birds will have nowhere else to go.

I agree with the references to the Ramsey council - a marina is not the silver bullet that will regenerate a worn-out town. A change of attitude is needed first.

I agree with the references to the Ramsey council - a marina is not the silver bullet that will regenerate a worn-out town. A change of attitude is needed first.

If this project were to be successful would it not be the catalyst to change attitudes, or maybe provide a shove out the door for those commissioners that have held Ramsey back for so long.

If this project were to be successful would it not be the catalyst to change attitudes, or maybe provide a shove out the door for those commissioners that have held Ramsey back for so long.

I honestly don't think so.

Archived