Ramsey Marina

mojomonkey

I think most towns have them...

I think a lot of the time it's the "unknown" factor and being in unusual surroundings which make it seem worse.

I daresay Ean if you came out on the ale with me I'd be terribly happy somewhere you'd feel was full of yobs down Ramsey and vice versa in your neck of the woods

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd agree entirely. I wasn't saying Douglas doesn't have the problem but pointing out that it certainly wasn't a Douglas only phenomenon. I think there's also something to be said about the population size of Douglas and Onchan in comparison to Ramsey, more people equals more knobheads.

The biggest downer Ramsey has is people such parchedpeas talking it down.

Never been to Ramsey National Week, so can't comment. Although the name seems a bit odd to me. Ramsey? National?

Is it true that Yn Cruinnacht have left Ramsey now then? used to be great in the tent over the river. Then they changed that to a hotel. Then everyone lost interest. Good luck to Peel, I'm sure you'll do well with it.

If people like me are the 'biggest' downer on Ramsey then it seems you've no problems at all. But tell me this - what reason do I have to vist Ramsey when I come back to the Isle of Man? What's going on each week other than the 'fight for the good looking bird' contest that used to happen in NITE life every Friday?

As the bastion of the North, the biggest town, the second Capital, almost, it should be thriving with ideas. It still has some of the finest retailers on the Island - Millichaps for furniture, the Butchers shop in the street, the shop by the police station for everything else you need and a load more besides. But they are a few good retailers versus a load of chaff. My cousin tried to open up a small shop selling portraits in the street. The rent they were asking for the shop was horrific. And yet the shop they wanted, only a small unit, still lays dormant today. Hurrah to the Commisioners for that masterstroke.

Too many vested interests. Not enough cohesion. A real shame for a town that SHOULD be amongst the nicest on the Island. The harbour area, the DRIVEABLE street (yes we don't all want to PEDESTRIANISE ourselves to death, I like to park in the middle and not haave to rely on Mr Safeway or whateve it's called now too much), the Mooragh park (again, a glory of yesteryear).

Why is it so hated? it's a damn shame and a waste.

The biggest downer Ramsey has is people such parchedpeas talking it down.

Never been to Ramsey National Week, so can't comment. Although the name seems a bit odd to me. Ramsey? National?

Is it true that Yn Cruinnacht have left Ramsey now then? used to be great in the tent over the river. Then they changed that to a hotel. Then everyone lost interest. Good luck to Peel, I'm sure you'll do well with it.

If people like me are the 'biggest' downer on Ramsey then it seems you've no problems at all. But tell me this - what reason do I have to vist Ramsey when I come back to the Isle of Man? What's going on each week other than the 'fight for the good looking bird' contest that used to happen in NITE life every Friday?

As the bastion of the North, the biggest town, the second Capital, almost, it should be thriving with ideas. It still has some of the finest retailers on the Island - Millichaps for furniture, the Butchers shop in the street, the shop by the police station for everything else you need and a load more besides. But they are a few good retailers versus a load of chaff. My cousin tried to open up a small shop selling portraits in the street. The rent they were asking for the shop was horrific. And yet the shop they wanted, only a small unit, still lays dormant today. Hurrah to the Commisioners for that masterstroke.

Too many vested interests. Not enough cohesion. A real shame for a town that SHOULD be amongst the nicest on the Island. The harbour area, the DRIVEABLE street (yes we don't all want to PEDESTRIANISE ourselves to death, I like to park in the middle and not haave to rely on Mr Safeway or whateve it's called now too much), the Mooragh park (again, a glory of yesteryear).

Why is it so hated? it's a damn shame and a waste.

SORRY BUT I HAVE TO AGREE WITH SOME OF YOUR COMMENTS.

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT RAMSEY HAS THE THE BEST RANGE OF INDEPENDENT SHOPS ON THE ISLAND AND THEY DO DRAW PEOPLE TO THE TOWN (MILLIE'S, TOYMASTER, PURE INSPIRATION, SHAKTI MANN, ANDREW BARTON TO NAME A FEW), THEY ARE EXCLUSIVE AND DON'T RACK THEIR PRICES TO MEET DOUGLAS RENT LEVELS FOR THE SHOPS. THE STAFF ACTUALLY TALK TO PEOPLE AND ARE HELPFUL.

YOU CAN SHOP THERE AND NOT EXPERIENCE THE DOUGLAS FACTOR OF FINDING EVERY SHELF IN EVERY SHOP STACKED WITH INFINITE VARIATIONS OF THE SAME STUFF - AND YOU COME AWAY KNOWING THAT YOUR PRESENT ISN'T GOING TO BE REPLICATED BY EVERY ONE ELSE GOING TO THE PARTY (THE OLD WEDDING TOASTER SYNDROME). THERE'S PLENTY OF SMALL CAFE'S DOING REALLY GOOD FOOD AT GOOD PRICES.

A RETURN TO THE MOORAGH PARK WOULD SURPRISE YOU. I SPENT THE WEEKEND DOWN THERE WITH THE KIDS - NEW SKATEPARK, GREAT PLAYAREAS, AND A WATER FEATURE WHICH THEY LOVED - THE PLACE WAS HEAVING AND THE WEATHER WASN'T EVEN THAT GREAT.

IT DOES NEED A DECENT CAR PARK AND THEN MAYBE THEY COULD WIDEN THE PAVEMENTS IN THE MAIN STREET OR EVEN TAKE AWAY THE KERBS AND REDUCE THE PARKING.

STRANGELY THE PEOPLE IN RAMSEY ARE MORE FRIENDLY THAN OTHER TOWNS, DOUGLAS IS HORRENDOUS, AND A NIGHT OUT IN PEEL LAST MONTH ATTRACTED ONLY THE ODD GRUNT FROM THE LOCALS (THE BAR STAFF IN THE CREEK WERE GREAT THOUGH)

ON THE RENT SIDE I DIDN'T REALISE THE COMMISSIONERS OWNED ANY SHOPS OR THAT THEY HAVE THE POWER TO CONTROL RENTS - MAYBE THAT SHOULD BE LOOKED AT. BUT IF INVESTMENT RETURNS ON PROPERTY RESULT IN HIGHER RENTS THEN IT MUST BE CHANGING HANDS AT SOME PRICE. I WOUDL HAVE THOUGHT ANY LANDLORD WOULD PREFER TO GET SOMETHING IN RENT RATHER THAN NOTHING. ARE THE ESTATE AGENTS STILL DRIVING PRICES UP - REMEMBER THEIR CUT IS A FIXED PERCENTAGE OF WHATS PAID WHEN PRICES DOUBLE THERE PROFITS DO AS WELL.

I ALSO ONLY SAW 2 EMPTY SHOPS THERE LAST WEEK, ONE HAD A PLANNING NOTICE IN IT FOR REFURBISHMENT AND THE OTHER WAS WAS FULL OF WORKMEN DOING IT UP. PERHAPS YOUR COUSINS BUSINESS PLAN WASN'T UP TO IT, DID HE THINK ABOUT BUYING A PROPERTY, IS HE TRADING IN DOUGLAS NOW OR WAS THE RENT TOO HIGH THERE AS WELL.

Archived