Is Ur Pc Dialling Premium Rate Numbers?

manxmaid

Hi there, well today i got home from work and my phone bill was there greeting me, when i deciphered it I discovered there were 2 premium rate numbers on it totalling £32< I racked my brains, cursed the kids etc, then rang BT only to discover these numbers are under investigation, so be careful if u r on dial up, luckily for me the weekend my puter diallied these numbers I accidently unistalled my modem (dont ask), so when I came back online I was on broadband.

What happens is that when u visit certain sites, u get dissed, and then when u reconnect u r being connected to a premium rate number and not your usual dial up. Like I said lucky for me I accidentally uninstalled my modem otherwise it could have been a lot worse, now I have to follow the procedures to get my money back.

This is the link to the site that investigates premium rate numbers (BT gave me this)

http://www.icstis.org.uk/icstis2002/default.asp?node=67#8

Anyone else come across this nightmare? I have now got premium rate numbers blocked from my line. Its worth the £4 a month.

Umm, although this is a valid concern, in this instance, I don't see how your PC dialled up to a premium rate service if you had no modem.

Doesn't quite sound like that's what's happened here.

Ahh right, the post was a little difficult to understand :)

R_Reaver, you use a completely different technology to connect to your DSL, even if it's through a windows DUN. Broadband users are not affected by this and should be safe. Unless they leave their internal modems still in the box and a phone line plugged in....

I actually thought Premium Rate Call Barring was a free service anyway? I know you have to pay £4 for the user controlled one but you can ask the exchange to make it a permanent block and I thought it was free.

My own personal opinion is that users should take responsibility for their own PC security instead of trying to lay the blame with their ISP. Installing Mozilla as your primary browser will almost eliminate this kind of threat instantly for example.

Archived