Xbox 360

Tea&Biscuits

I am hoping to buy my fella an Xbox for his bday in September - wondering where I can get one cheaper than usual (long shot I know!) and also does anyone know of any shops that let you kind of pay it off in chunks, ie this month pay half and then next month pay half sort of thing? I looked at Argos website and they let you pay in instalments but im not paying £7 a month for something like 12 years at a profit to them of £100!!!

Also anyone want to sell me one second hand?

Cheers

T&B

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Save half this month, then pay it all next month? :)

Buy it on your credit card?

Play and Amazon do the cheapest deals. I'd not buy a used one in case it's an unreliable one (they've had reliability issues) or it's been banned online.

if you want to get a 2nd hand one, have a look on www.avforums.com.

Its a forum site dedicated to all things electrical, and there is a sale/swap/wanted board on there, and they include feedbacks etc, and you might get lucky.

I have used them a few times without a hitch.

Also anyone want to sell me one second hand?

Cheers

T&B

Dont do it , wait till the new elite version is released and the price of the ol' white one will no doubt come down further

• 4 weeks later...

I am now tempted to get myself a 360 - but I'm unsure what the best bundles\offers are. I see Play have some good deals - the games that I'm after are primarily Forza2 and Guitar Hero, although I've heard good things about Gears of War (Although I'm not sure how PC converts find this?).

Is the best option the Premium bundle, as found here.

I know previously in the thread there is hint of a price drop, any idea when? Is it worth me holding out for a little while?

I am now tempted to get myself a 360 - but I'm unsure what the best bundles\offers are. I see Play have some good deals - the games that I'm after are primarily Forza2 and Guitar Hero, although I've heard good things about Gears of War (Although I'm not sure how PC converts find this?).

Is the best option the Premium bundle, as found here.

I know previously in the thread there is hint of a price drop, any idea when? Is it worth me holding out for a little while?

I think a price drop is on the way, but it's not a biggie, it's translated to about 30 quid in other terratories. One thing that might be worth waiting for is stocks of the hdmi version of the premium that's got the Benq dvd that's reportedly an awful lot quieter than the old 360.

Gears rules, and I'm a pc fps fan.

What else can you do with the 360? I guess Live is a must? I've got XBMC already - is the 360 up to much as a media player? Does it have a web browser of any sort? What about downloadable bits - are they worth looking at?

I'm kinda short on time, so it will be good to be switch something on, have a quick game and power it off. I hope Gears is as good as everyone makes out, I've tried console FPSs in the past but found I was crap using the controller rather than the mouse combo.

What else can you do with the 360? I guess Live is a must? I've got XBMC already - is the 360 up to much as a media player? Does it have a web browser of any sort? What about downloadable bits - are they worth looking at?

360's great for mp3 and photos when hooked up with either media player or a dlna server (I use Orb), and if you can be arsed to re-encode your h264 or xvids, its fine. But in the real world you want to watch whatever media you have, and transcoding is lossy and slow and a pain in the jap, so xbmc kicks its arse. I still have my xbox1, I've encoded all the kids dvd's to xvid, so the 360's shit really. If you're encoding stuff from new and you can do em 360 friendly then the 360 would be fine, but otherwise, nah.

Noise is also a problem, it's a lot noiser than the xbox1.

I'm kinda short on time, so it will be good to be switch something on, have a quick game and power it off. I hope Gears is as good as everyone makes out, I've tried console FPSs in the past but found I was crap using the controller rather than the mouse combo.

It's not strictly an fps, most of the games played out in the 3rd person. It does rule though, and is great fun on Live with a few mates. I used to think the same with the controller, and the mouse is deffo the win here, but it's worth putting some effort into learning to play on a controller. The 360's ace for kicking back on the sofa and chilling with a game. Live arcade rules too, I probably play that more than 'full' games. Cheap original games that are great fun.

the noise is a downer though, can't stress enough, if noise is a problem, don't get a 360.

i'm a bit late on this thread but game will let you pay up front in instalments, they give you a credit card type card and when you give them money they add this to the card. you keep the card and when you go in to get your purchase you surrender the card and they allow you what you've saved on it against the cost of your stuff.

Bingo!

"The new black console with its fancy HDMI port, 120GB hard drive and black peripherals will come in at GBP 299.99 (EUR 441), prompting a GBP 30 cut in the Premium pack to GBP 249.99 (EUR 367), and GBP 20 chop for the Core down to GBP 179.99 (EUR 264). "

That'll make the street price about £230 for a premium, I imagine, and the core cheaper than a wii. Fekking good value next to the ps3 and the wii.

Archived