[BBC News] Prison officers tour high schools

Newsbot

i think it more the fact that too many people of school leavers age to 20 ish are out drivin with no insurance and robbing stuff or getting drunk and having fights

Prison officers on the Isle of Man visit schools to try to deter children from ending up in jail.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6912042.stm

Could this mean that they have too many prison officers to do the job that they were appointed for............or is it a new scam to generate some more overtime?

..............unless their visits to schools are voluntary.

"Prison Officers to visit school", eh !, I don't think so . . . . My daughter and I have discussed this matter and she has expressed her wish, which I fully support and understand to walk out of any such " role play ", scenario. I do not need any uniformed "officer" to come to my childs school and basically, frighten them. I would rather more teachers take their place and teach the children basic arithmatic, reading and writing. Unfortunately, some children will end up in prison, and some will not, that's a fact of life.

I recall a couple of years ago that the Police sent in "sniffer dogs" to a school in the Isle of Man to "search" for drugs being carried by the pupils !, at that time I made it clear to all who knew me that any "police dog" sniffing around my child would result in me taking my dog to the Officers home address and letting it "sniff" around their own child. Needless to say no such dog appeared in the vicinity of my child. Oh, and before you ask or comment, I do not and never have used illegal drugs of any description.

Time to direct the authorities in the direction they should be going in, namely, clearing the promenades of the drunken neds who hang around every night making the life of decent ordinary people a nightmare.

Time to direct the authorities in the direction they should be going in, namely, clearing the promenades of the drunken neds who hang around every night making the life of decent ordinary people a nightmare.

not all crimes are drunken, how about they should deter crime

not all crimes are drunken, how about they should deter crime

Yep, your right Smeagle, just using this as an example. Ta.

I don't see any reason why a parent should object to this. Firemen make visits to schools to make youngsters aware of a variety of potential dangers; police officers do similar things to explain about road safety etc., so explaining exactly what a term in prison consists of can only be of benefit - especially to those who grow up thinking that it isn't any kind of real deterrent to committing crimes.

As for the sniffer dogs, I think it was a very good and very brave decision. Whether your child uses drugs or not isn't really the issue. The fact is that there are always a small number of pupils who do so and they can influence others. Anything that discourages them is to be applauded.

Unfortunately, there are always a few arrogant and ignorant parents who object to such measures - encouraging their offspring to believe that they are above the rules that most pupils are happy to obey. I can only feel sorry for such children who will be inheriting the same unjustified arrogance that their parent displays.

Prison Officer: And in the new jail you get your own luxury cell with sky tv and a playstation. Have access to tons of sports facilities and free meals. So its really bad ok.

Little Chav: When can I go then?

"Prison Officers to visit school", eh !, I don't think so . . . . My daughter and I have discussed this matter and she has expressed her wish, which I fully support and understand to walk out of any such " role play ", scenario. I do not need any uniformed "officer" to come to my childs school and basically, frighten them. I would rather more teachers take their place and teach the children basic arithmatic, reading and writing. Unfortunately, some children will end up in prison, and some will not, that's a fact of life.

I recall a couple of years ago that the Police sent in "sniffer dogs" to a school in the Isle of Man to "search" for drugs being carried by the pupils !, at that time I made it clear to all who knew me that any "police dog" sniffing around my child would result in me taking my dog to the Officers home address and letting it "sniff" around their own child. Needless to say no such dog appeared in the vicinity of my child. Oh, and before you ask or comment, I do not and never have used illegal drugs of any description.

Why, if they have nothing to fear, would your children be frightened? Not all children are little angels, I'm sure your children can name a fair few in their school who clearly aren't. I don't think "bad" children should be singled out, it would probably make them lash out at society more. "Right boys and girls, you are all here today because we think you are the ones most likely to end up in prison, so Mr. Screw is here to see to it that you're all warned about the what could happen to you when you leave school, obviously some of you will be leaving sooner than others because you're wasters! Enjoy you chat, try not to misbehave and if you can't manage that, don't stab each other!"

Teenagers these days are so far removed from the consequences of their actions because there aren't any that will deter them. Yet, if they are unable to see that what they do is wrong then they won't be bothered by any potential punishment. A great deal of kids do know right from wrong so it would benefit them to see the consquences, I think it's a reasonable deterent.

I really don't see your issue with the sniffer dogs, I think it's very narrow minded of you. I'd rather the drugs be out of school and the culprits found than have them secretly carried around and possibly shared with others.

Archived