My Lovely Drive

ccm

Got to the junction at the end of our road this morning and ......NO TRAFFIC!!!

If only every trip to work in Douglas was like this and not just the next six weeks or so.

Surely there's a lesson there somewhere (i.e. the time the school day starts and the working day starts, I believe in France the kids begin at 8.45)

What would normally take 25 mins was done in 16 mins this morning

I've had nights like that. It's usually down to too much caffeine or watching a Michelle Pfeiffer film before bedtime.

Got to the junction at the end of our road this morning and ......NO TRAFFIC!!!

If only every trip to work in Douglas was like this and not just the next six weeks or so.

Surely there's a lesson there somewhere (i.e. the time the school day starts and the working day starts, I believe in France the kids begin at 8.45)

Most of the schools start at 8:50, will starting them 5mins earlier make that much difference? Maybe you should start work at 8:30, missing the majority of the traffic, you'd get to finish work earlier too so have more time to enjoy your evening, even more so in the summer. I work 8:30 - 5:30, which is an improvement on the 8 - 5:30 I used to do, so the traffic has never really bothered me in the morning, especially now I work 200m from my front door! The 'problem' age children are infants, they can't go to school unaccompanied, even on a bus and then you have to try and organise the little angels around a bus timetable...it's easier to drive them.

In each case, our children have had just one term of being taken to school in the car. After that, one of us would take them to the bus stop to see them safely onto the school bus (knowing that they would be met by a teacher at the other end), and made sure that one or other of us was available to meet them off the bus at the end of the school day.

If we had lived a bit closer, they would have walked to school after the first year - it isn't that difficult to organise a rota of parents to walk with them.

The overprotectiveness of parents who believe that their little darlings simply couldn't manage without being driven to, or even through, the school gates is incomprehensible.

In each case, our children have had just one term of being taken to school in the car. After that, one of us would take them to the bus stop to see them safely onto the school bus (knowing that they would be met by a teacher at the other end), and made sure that one or other of us was available to meet them off the bus at the end of the school day.

If we had lived a bit closer, they would have walked to school after the first year - it isn't that difficult to organise a rota of parents to walk with them.

The overprotectiveness of parents who believe that their little darlings simply couldn't manage without being driven to, or even through, the school gates is incomprehensible.

The school my youngest goes to does not allow the children on the bus on their own, whether you meet them off it or put them on it yourself. You're just not supposed to do it. Prehaps this is because it's not a dedicated school bus service and DTL/DoE don't want the responsibility of a load of 4 - 7 year old sprogs, which is fair enough, why should they? Now I'm working, he goes to a nursery first thing and they drop him and 10 of his friends off in the morning. Reception age childen aren't even allowed in the playgroud unaccompanied, so a lot of people have no alternative but to drive the child to school.

When they are primary school age. I see no reason for them getting lifts to and from school, the bus services are pretty comprehensive and like Lonan3 said, you could take them to the bus stop if you're worried they'll go astray on the way or if you live in the sticks and the nearest bus stop is half an hour away. There will be quite a few working parents who drop the kids off on their way to work, so it'd be wrong to asume that every car full of school age kids is purely for the school run.

What annoys me is people who say that when thay were kids, they had to set off at 6am to walk the 15miles to the nearest school and they all sat in the same room blah, blah...alot of people work hard to provide a better life for their children or save them walking miles to school or getting up at 7am to catch a bus that takes an hour to do a journey your car could do in 20 minutes. If you have the time and inclination, who's to tell you that you shouldn't do it? I tell you what, when I was at school, I'd give anything for my mum to give me a lift in the cold rain!

They should run the Italian school year here. It runs from mid September to the end of June, with 10 days off for Christmas, 10 days off for Easter, plus public holidays. No mid term breaks. School hours are 08:00-13:00 Monday to Friday.

Imagine, no traffic problems in the mornings, Easy hours for part time work (mornings), the kids love it because of the short school day, the teachers love it for the same reason, basically everyone is happy.

They should run the Italian school year here. It runs from mid September to the end of June, with 10 days off for Christmas, 10 days off for Easter, plus public holidays. No mid term breaks. School hours are 08:00-13:00 Monday to Friday.

Imagine, no traffic problems in the mornings, Easy hours for part time work (mornings), the kids love it because of the short school day, the teachers love it for the same reason, basically everyone is happy.

Agreed. Make it so!

I noticed it this morning.I travel into Onchan from the whitebridge and back that way sometimes when the fat bitches are driving to/from the schools back to lakeside or somewhere as close.I used to walk to school(about 1 mile)every day,why doesnt it happen anymore?Suppose the said "fat bitches"have to rush home to watch daytime tv and such shite.

I noticed it this morning.I travel into Onchan from the whitebridge and back that way sometimes when the fat bitches are driving to/from the schools back to lakeside or somewhere as close.I used to walk to school(about 1 mile)every day,why doesnt it happen anymore?Suppose the said "fat bitches"have to rush home to watch daytime tv and such shite.

What an enlightening post...do come back again soon.

What annoys me is people who say that when thay were kids, they had to set off at 6am to walk the 15miles to the nearest school

You missed out "barefoot, in the snow".

Some old school logs actually record the children arriving barefoot.

I don't understand is all the cars going to Castle Rushen and King Bills. I can't remember anyone being driven to Castle Rushen when I had the misfortune to attend. And didn't the King Bills lot used to get a coach?

If you have the time and inclination, who's to tell you that you shouldn't do it?

And that, folks, is why the planet is in meltdown.

Why does the bus journey take an hour? Because the bus is stuck in traffic formed by people who labour under the illusion that theirs is a '20 minute journey' when it's actually twice that (at least) because of a traffic problem they have helped to create due to their belief that their own inclination and convenience are more important than any other considerations.

Whether popping your kids into a monstrous 4 x 4 with the windows rolled up against the carcinogenic fumes outside is giving them a better life or just handing on the ignorance which has f*cked up the world in the first place remains to be seen.

Love, Jeremy Clarkson

Archived