Gamesmaster

Mission

Just a quick question, If the best price you can get for games is from an online retailer and not a supplier why can't you just buy bulk from an online retailer and so have a better profit margin?

Is there something stopping you doing this?

Absolutely nothing stopping me.Give me a link and I will purchase it from them.If its from someone like Play , then because they are Jersey based ( no vat ) there is always the possibility that Customs & Excise will stop it as it comes onto the island and add vat.It does happen.But if I could source a cheaper alternative , then I would be happy to buy from there and pass the savings onto you.

Can't do anymore than that really can I ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a quick question, If the best price you can get for games is from an online retailer and not a supplier why can't you just buy bulk from an online retailer and so have a better profit margin?

Absolutely nothing stopping me.Give me a link and I will purchase it from them.If its from someone like Play , then because they are Jersey based ( no vat ) there is always the possibility that Customs & Excise will stop it as it comes onto the island and add vat.It does happen.But if I could source a cheaper alternative , then I would be happy to buy from there and pass the savings onto you.

not at all, i was just curious.

both 101cd.com and blahdvd.com have got it for £26.95 deivered

you then get 8% back through quidco on 101 cd and 5% through blah dvd.

I used http://find-games.co.uk/ to find the cheapest price (i've used the first most of the retailers there) and http://www.quidco.com/, for cashback (They only withhold the first £5 for admin fee's Also there are quite a few vouchers around the net for the different companies, Giving an extra 2% off, Or there is a code for powerplaydirect for 50p (all adds up!)

Maybe you could contact them for a direct discount?

Some of them have special offers recently, Couple of months back play.com had GOW for £17.99 (Although it was a bundle copy, You could maybe bundle it with consoles etc.) and Gameplay recently had an offer for Forza Motorsport 2 for £15 when bought with another game.

Just a quick question really, Do you have any plans to buy/sell second hand games/hardware, Trade in's? etc?

All the games are normally dispatched separately which could be an extra hassle with 50 or so games arriving individually, But thats how most people manage to dodge customs and excise, Aside from that you probably won't be to popular with postie!!

cheapest I can see it online for is £39.99

Cheapest I can find (internet price) is £28.99, With cashback £27.83 (Sorry!, I'm like a bull in a china shop when trying to find the cheapest price!!)

I'd guess its the limited edition?, The standard is cheaper, The cheapest limited edition I can find is £38.

I'd agree with everything you said though, They've made the best of the space, Its a very nice shop, Nice layout, I also saw the LAN type set-up and I presume it was Marks kids playing on the PC's?, Also saw they had a couple of tv's behind the counter, Possibly for demo's etc?

I find it amazingly freaky that the stores website was designed by a friend of mine from an everton forum

Evertonians ( or should that be kippers ) everywhere ;) , Mark is a top bloke , he has put up with a lot on our site , anyone ever needs a website doing VTS Design are worth getting in touch with

Just took a look at those links and they are both selling GOW for £39.99 so not much less than what I am selling it for

Game are doing it online at £37.99 but in store it is £44.99 with HMV being £44.95 so I am in touch with their prices.These prices were correct when I last checked.

Forza is £39.99 on Game's site , so I will look into doing something with our price if I can at all.

Nitro , yes we do trade in games , consoles etc.. in fact got some keen prices on some 360 pre owned stock

Sincerely next time you pop in store , just introduce yourself , I wont be nasty , as I need regular customers and will always try to do the best we can

You could even have a little go on our pc gaming or 360 , Wii etc.. ;)

Finally , we had that MOH competition today , was quite good , got a little down with it at times because I had imposed a couple of rules ( no grenade or rocket launchers and no camping ) and it got a little heated between some of the competitors but in all , quite worthwhile.

Having a Call Of Duty 2 competition in a couple of weeks so anyone fancies entering just pop in and put your name down.Free entry and a chance to get a free game of your choice (upto the value of around £50) for the winner

Game are doing it online at £37.99 but in store it is £44.99 with HMV being £44.95 so I am in touch with their prices.These prices were correct when I last checked.

Forza is £39.99 on Game's site , so I will look into doing something with our price if I can at all.

Nitro , yes we do trade in games , consoles etc.. in fact got some keen prices on some 360 pre owned stock

Sincerely next time you pop in store , just introduce yourself , I wont be nasty , as I need regular customers and will always try to do the best we can

I don't think a fiver more for Forza than it's being sold online for is at all unreasonable, especially since places like play.com can routinely take over a week to deliver stuff (I've waited up to ten days for 360 games to be delivered).

As for trade-in, I think that's an area where you could easily upstage GAME, since they truly do take the piss with what they give for a game when they take it in, and what they then punt it back out for.

I got a game in there the other week that was pre-owned (simply because they didn't have a new copy) and I asked to check the disc first, (I've seen some properly dodgy pre-owned stuff come out of there), which as it happened was in good condition, but the guy did inform me that if I did get a dirty pre-owned disc, I could pay an extra fiver for them to clean it (!!!) - obviously not selling knackered discs in the first place didn't really occur to them.....

As for trade-in, I think that's an area where you could easily upstage GAME, since they truly do take the piss with what they give for a game when they take it in, and what they then punt it back out for.

Well I have heard that they are letting preowned slide a little.When I was manager there , Pre Owned was one of the companies main focus areas.Its where they make most of there profits the district manager told me.

I got a game in there the other week that was pre-owned (simply because they didn't have a new copy) and I asked to check the disc first, (I've seen some properly dodgy pre-owned stuff come out of there), which as it happened was in good condition, but the guy did inform me that if I did get a dirty pre-owned disc, I could pay an extra fiver for them to clean it (!!!) - obviously not selling knackered discs in the first place didn't really occur to them.....

Now this is really taking the mickey.Obviously with preowned you do have the problem of dodgy discs.Most of our preowned games are tested as they come in ( cant play the whole game through obviously ) but if for whatever reason they get to a stage in the game where playback is erratic we can repair the discs FREE OF CHARGE!!

I wonder what trading standards would make of that because whenever you sell anything , it must be fit for purpose , wonder if that applies to pre owned as well.Going to look into this one

<sniggers>

Just took a look at those links and they are both selling GOW for £39.99 so not much less than what I am selling it for

My bad, Sorry : I meant softuk : http://www.softuk.com/Xbox_360_Product_Vie...?ProdID=36UKGOW

The price comparison I used was : http://find-games.co.uk Sometimes game searches don't always work on that one so I use : http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/videoGames.aspx

The cheapest I can see Forza 2 is £28.99 which is quite a difference from GAME's £37.99!

There is also a discount code knocking around which is DISCOUNT (or DISCOUNT1) which gives 50p off, Then the Quidco cashback.

Archived