[BBC News] Unusual ear scoop is found in dig

Newsbot

It's an ear scoop at one end, for cleaning the wax out of the ears, but the other end is a toothpick. It's a really nice find

I have an image in my head of someone bluffing there way through archaeology.

"What is it, you say? Well... erm... this pointy bit is... erm... this is what they used for pointing at... erm... dinosaurs... and the scoopy bit... erm... the scoopy bit was used to scoop stuff... ice cream mostly... sometimes mud which they built stuff out of... erm. LOOK AT THAT THING BEHIND YOU!" / runs away

A combined tooth pick and ear scoop is found during the annual archaeological dig on the Isle of Man.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6918953.stm

That would of course have been classified under the Glasgow University Archeology system. I'd go for the Pricker/Toilet Instrument definition, since it doesn't have "boil-burster" listed.

Pooled Artefacts Pooled Class Consists of:

Brooch: Square-headed brooch, Saucer brooch, Disc brooch, Romano-British fibula, Trefoil-headed brooch, Brooch, Penannular brooch, Applied brooch, Small square-headed brooch, Cruciform brooch, Equal-armed brooch, Small-long brooch, Quoit brooch, Great square-headed brooch, Composite disc brooch, Swastika brooch, Annular brooch, Button brooch

Sword: Sword, Scramasax, Scabbard fittings

Toilet set: Pricker, Ear scoop, Tweezers, Spatula, Toilet set, Tooth pick, Cosmetic brush handle, Toilet instrument, Cylinder (ie. brush handle?) Shield: Shield boss, Shield grip, Shield stud

Vessel: Bowl, Pot, Jar, Vessel, Cone beaker, Dish, Cup, Drinking cup mount

Bucket: Bucket, Bucket mounts, Stoup

Spear: Spearhead, Javelin, Ferrule

Knife: Knife, Clasp knife

Belt fittings: Buckle, Belt plates, Buckle plate, Belt fitting, Belt slide, Romano-British buckle

Axe: Francisca, Battle axe, Axehead

Box: Box, Box fittings, Lock, Romano-British seal box

Bracelet: Bracelet, Armlet, Romano-British bracelet, Bracelet fitting

Coin: Coin, Roman coin

Ring: Ring, Purse ring

Girdlehanger: Girdlehanger, Chatelaine

Pin: Pin, Linked pins

Animal remains: Tooth, Oyster, Boar tusk, Animal bones, Limpet, Fossil

Fastenings: Nail, Clip, Stud, Clasp, Rivet head, Rivet mount

Fittings: Fitting, Disk, Bars, Loop, Wire loop, Wire, Double loop, Links, Spiral strip, Chain, Roundel, Mount

Purse: Purse mount, Purse fitting, Purse, Firesteel, Strike-a-light

Strap fittings: Strap tag, Strap mount, Strap end, Strap plate

Tool: Sharpening steel, Shears, Implement, Scraper

Beads: Bead, Ring beads

Finger ring: Finger ring

Comb: Comb

Needle: Needlecase, Needle

Spindlewhorl: Spindlewhorl

Pendant: Pendant

Dress fastening: Button, Lace tag, Wrist clasp

Scales: Scales, Weight

Keys: Key

Perforated spoon: Perforated spoon

Fork: Fork

Horse furniture: Snaffle Bit

Necklet: Necklet

Arrowhead: Arrowhead

Sorry, wrong word. Withdrawn by McDonalds and not banned by anyone.

The infamous little plastic spoons offered coke heads a readily accessible implement in which to snort a wee pile. The McDonalds spoons were 'Exhibit A' in far too many drugs court cases for the whiter than white McDonalds comfort.

So back on topic. I can't remember if the spoons doubled up as an ear scoop/scratcher or a toothpick.

"It's beautifully carved out of bone with a spiral design all the way down the handle," So if the ear wax was runny, it could run down the spiral to the toothpick end, that's a great design!

Sorry, wrong word. Withdrawn by McDonalds and not banned by anyone.

The infamous little plastic spoons offered coke heads a readily accessible implement in which to snort a wee pile. The McDonalds spoons were 'Exhibit A' in far too many drugs court cases for the whiter than white McDonalds comfort.

So back on topic. I can't remember if the spoons doubled up as an ear scoop/scratcher or a toothpick.

SmackDonalds?

Why were they banned?

Customers were mistaking them for a combined ear scoop and tooth pick. It only took a couple of burst ear drums and a punctured gum to stop it.

EDIT - I can just see it. Now with every happy meal, a combined ear scoop and tooth pick.

Archived