Anger At Withdrawal Of Apprentice Funding

Albert Tatlock

When I looked at doing an apprenticeship it was near on impossible to get in, I was told I had to find an employer to take me on as an apprentice first before I could apply for the course, I then had to do a test to whittle it down from possibly hundreds to 10 places and If I didn't get through on that, I didn't get the college, So I couldn't do the apprenticeship.

Oh and it was about 10 places per course.

Whole system needs looking at, They then moan they are crying it for different trades, Bloody shame as I really want to be a mechanic to.

From MR: DTI reviews training support.

"David Cretney MHK says that the situation arose after a decision by his predecessor to phase out the wages subsidy. He was concerned at the possible impact on small employees and decided to review the situation."

...though I think that reeks of heightism.

Interestingly , theres talk that theyre either closing shortly, or are in preparation to close, the training centre at the lights on Peel Rd.

Took the girlfriend 11 months to get a place, she finished the course, got her certificate, and was then told by staff there that theyre all being moved up to the college as a review has taken place and its felt that the training centre isnt as good a location as the college.

Anyone here got an idea of whether the college has the quality of trainers/facilities to take on more courses of this nature, or is it another short sighted financial move?

Front page of this weeks Examiner buisness news section 'Firms hit out over training grants wrangle'.

It looks like the Employers Federation are in support of the DTI according to this report? Quote "Louise Furniss, secretary of the Employers' Federation, said that more than 500 letters had been sent out to everyone who had taken on an apprentice in the last five years but only six of the people had responded"

Are there even 500 apprentice employers to write to on the IOM?

Has the DTI provided funding to the Employers' Federation in the past? and if so, is the EF representing the employers of the trainee's or are they pulled towards supporting the DTI?

This needs a quick solution, a friend of mine is trying to get on an apprenticeship and struggling to get a place. It may be that the only places available soon will be in Government departments! and in my opinion the best place to learn is the private commercial sector.

I suppose the 'system' was open to some abuse, I'm sure there have been many 'employers' taking advantage of money given to aid training apprentices.

Seems to be a cheap way of getting a general 'dogsbody' who will get pissed off with crap wages and move on to a 'real job' after a couple of years, all the employer does then is get another 'apprentice'.

I do feel however that a properly regulated system, perhaps aligned with a day-release course at the college that would provide at least some sort of certification should be encouraged by government /employees.

Energy FM website:

Another chance for employers to air their views

Local employers will meet with members of the Department of Trade and Industry this evening to discuss concerns they have about building sector apprenticeships.

A number of employers, especially those in the plumbing trade, are expressing fears over the proposed withdrawl of DTI financial assistance.

At a recent meeting empoyers confirmed they'd be unable to take on any new trainees this September unless grants are reintroduced.

Stuart Clague of SCS Limited says this meeting will hopefully be a step in the right direction, and he feels the DTI are taking their concerns seriously.

The meeting takes place at 6 o'clock this evening at the DTI training services building in Hills Meadow, Douglas.

Last Updated:31/07/2007 09:21:40

Interestingly , theres talk that theyre either closing shortly, or are in preparation to close, the training centre at the lights on Peel Rd......snip.........

....snip........Anyone here got an idea of whether the college has the quality of trainers/facilities to take on more courses of this nature, or is it another short sighted financial move?

Not correct and somewhat out of date.

The training function of the DTI was amalgamated with IOM College, the process starting several years ago. All teaching staff who wnated to transfer are now employed by the College.

The site is still being used, and no great changes to training have taken place. Albeit all training is now with the DoE.

I do feel however that a properly regulated system, perhaps aligned with a day-release course at the college that would provide at least some sort of certification should be encouraged by government /employees

Are you suggesting that this doesn't happen now?

Because it does.

That's laughable matty, are you saying that apprenticeships are just a matter of turning up to work for 3 years then hey presto you're qualified - WRONG!

Day release with ongoing examinations, onsite portfolio workbook, more examinations, site visits by college training staff, for 3 years at a pittance rate

...by the time an apprentice is qualified, I see no reason whatsoever why professional work isn't worth £40/hour+ (labour that is)

I suppose the 'system' was open to some abuse, I'm sure there have been many 'employers' taking advantage of money given to aid training apprentices.

Seems to be a cheap way of getting a general 'dogsbody' who will get pissed off with crap wages and move on to a 'real job' after a couple of years, all the employer does then is get another 'apprentice'.

I do feel however that a properly regulated system, perhaps aligned with a day-release course at the college that would provide at least some sort of certification should be encouraged by government /employees.

Hear, Hear, There's absolutely no problem with a well regulated system to stop the minority who will and do abuse the current system. As a time served engineer I served a 5 year apprenticeship attending day release + 1 night and Saturday morning every week of the academic year for 4 years. During this time my mates earned 2-3 times my annual salary which was not subsidised but paid for directly by the employer. Their risk was that I wouldn't make the grade or would be slow or would produce a lot of scrap. Their reward at the end of 5 years was a highly skilled and employable engineer whom they rewarded well once the apprenticeship was finished, but that was 30 years ago when the UK had a manufacturing base, today we live in a different world and the IoM is in a different but not unique position.

Due to it's size and the dependancy on certain market sectors, there is a massive skills shortage in all the unfashionable trades and professions. In order to stop employers having to advertise in England etc all the time for skilled workers the Government should be encouraging SME's by means of subsidy if required, to take on the young and the not so young trainees in order to support the economy and the stated government (DTI) objective of diversification of the economy and a reduction in reliance on the Finacial Services sector. I for one would be happy knowing that my tax money was being well spent and that Apprentices were coming out of the end of their training with meaningful, useful qualifications and training.

The report states that the subsidy is being offered to companies paying salaries in the region of £20k? Firstly where are these apprenticeships that pay this well and secondly, if this is what it takes to keep the necessary and important skills on island, what is the problem, we seem to be very happy paying people who have had little or no training disproportionatly large salaries to dictate to us how we can and cannot live, why not pay the people who actually contribute to our tax coffers a decent living wage?

Seems to me that someone somewhere is crying foul, the DTI is listening and then taking action without considering the consequences.

That's laughable matty, are you saying that apprenticeships are just a matter of turning up to work for 3 years then hey presto you're qualified - WRONG!

Day release with ongoing examinations, onsite portfolio workbook, more examinations, site visits by college training staff, for 3 years at a pittance rate

...by the time an apprentice is qualified, I see no reason whatsoever why professional work isn't worth £40/hour+ (labour that is)

Agree, but read the last bit of his response, I think he is supporting what you are saying.

TBH, the apprentice system needs bringing out of the 20th century, minimum wage for a hell of a lot of hard graft and learning is an insult. Three years day release + ongoing training and constant portfolio work would see any white collar worker on at least an average wage - currently over the £600/week mark.

Bitter & twisted - damn right

• 2 weeks later...

Three FM website today:

PLANS SCRAPPED TO PHASE OUT MONETARY SUPPORT TO EMPLOYERS

Posted on 14 Aug, 2007

The Department of Trade and Industry is scrapping plans to phase out the monetary support given to small employers on the island, who take on trainees.

The previous Government had planned to withdraw the support, so that the limited amount of money available could be directed into addressing skills shortages here instead.

However, because of concerns that small to medium sized employers may not be able to take on apprentices if the money was withdrawn, it's now only going to be taken away from companies that employ 20 or more people, because it's felt they should be able to cope OK without it.

The money will be phased out over the next three years.

DTI Minister David Cretney says he believes what he's come up with is a good compromise: "With our proposal we're saving about half of that but the rest of it is still going towards increasing skills of the population.

"I'm going to seek additional money in the future towards that becuase it's a key imperative in terms of taking the island forward that we have the best skilled workforce."

So if you want to be an apprentice, go to a smaller employer who should now be able to get grant assistance.

Archived