Another Newspaper?

Amadeus

What? You knew about this more than 10 days ago? It would have been your civic duty under the Copycat Rumour and Stories Act 2005 to immediately inform the forum upon gaining such knowledge!

Warning - Rumour Alert - Warning

Another Newspaper coming up? Manx Guardian? And an MHK involved? Anyone know?

End Rumour Alert

Someone will have overheard chat about "The Chronicles of Man" and assumed it is a newspaper (which perhaps it was).

Didn't Rick Wakeman write them?

755142.jpg

What? You knew about this more than 10 days ago? It would have been your civic duty under the Copycat Rumour and Stories Act 2005 to immediately inform the forum upon gaining such knowledge!

Surely that rule would only apply if the up and coming newspaper was the Timbuktu Guardian. Then you would have to invent some kind of ridiculous link to the IoM

Surely that rule would only apply if the up and coming newspaper was the Timbuktu Guardian. Then you would have to invent some kind of ridiculous link to the IoM

well there is a tenuous link to Timbuktu and any potential news article in about 6 months time

In fairness to my colleagues in the print media (because this week it's apparently their turn for a slagging instead of ours) I have to say that I often wonder what you expect of a local paper - and I use the word 'local' carefully.

Let's be honest, it's not their remit to cover international stories unless there's some sort of Manx link, and we live (thank heavens) in a relatively quiet, peaceful and laid-back place. I've made the point before that IMO an investigative reporter would be unable to generate much copy - unlike overseas there's no real opposition here (in Government) or competition (to big businesses) to provide whistle blowers or deep throat sources, and Manx people (and institutions) are very good at closing ranks and keeping quiet.

It's easy to criticise - but last time I went to Manchester I took special notice of the local papers (and radio) there - specifically the Evening News (huge circulation and resources) and the Tameside Reporter (a group serving urban areas to the east of the city). The only difference between them and us was that the MEN looked at national issues that affected their region, and the Reporter looked at regional issues that affected their patch. I thought the design and layout were more modern, but with a squillion times more cheap and nasty advertising.

Despite our independent status, we're effectively just a semi-rural area of 80,000 people - and the odds are that most of the weekly news will always comprise charity cheque presentations, court reports and 'local' politics.

People keep trying to 'sex up' the news - I was interested a couple of weeks ago to see a report that 46% of people no longer trust BBC TV news, and hear Sir Trev comment on the new trend of dynamic stand-up news presenters with virtual sets and lots of CG...but the fact of the matter is that it's the same old hardy perennials - just a different day.

You CAN polish a turd, but ... it's till a turd!

In fairness to my colleagues in the print media (because this week it's apparently their turn for a slagging instead of ours) I have to say that I often wonder what you expect of a local paper - and I use the word 'local' carefully.

Let's be honest, it's not their remit to cover international stories unless there's some sort of Manx link, and we live (thank heavens) in a relatively quiet, peaceful and laid-back place. I've made the point before that IMO an investigative reporter would be unable to generate much copy - unlike overseas there's no real opposition here (in Government) or competition (to big businesses) to provide whistle blowers or deep throat sources, and Manx people (and institutions) are very good at closing ranks and keeping quiet.

It's easy to criticise - but last time I went to Manchester I took special notice of the local papers (and radio) there - specifically the Evening News (huge circulation and resources) and the Tameside Reporter (a group serving urban areas to the east of the city). The only difference between them and us was that the MEN looked at national issues that affected their region, and the Reporter looked at regional issues that affected their patch. I thought the design and layout were more modern, but with a squillion times more cheap and nasty advertising.

Despite our independent status, we're effectively just a semi-rural area of 80,000 people - and the odds are that most of the weekly news will always comprise charity cheque presentations, court reports and 'local' politics.

People keep trying to 'sex up' the news - I was interested a couple of weeks ago to see a report that 46% of people no longer trust BBC TV news, and hear Sir Trev comment on the new trend of dynamic stand-up news presenters with virtual sets and lots of CG...but the fact of the matter is that it's the same old hardy perennials - just a different day.

You CAN polish a turd, but ... it's till a turd!

Stu, I would rather examine a polished turd than a shite turd...

Back in the days of the good old outside toilet, local newspapers where used for more pressing matters. Think green (or perhaps brown in this case) recycle local newspapers and save valuable toilet paper...

And... in the words of the great Jim Royle: "charity cheque presentations, court reports and 'local' politics, my arse" !!

An independant newspaper run by an MHK? Likely...

I'm with Stu, until you've tried to run a news resource, you can't understand how hard it is overhere. You can't print unsubstanciated stories, you have to have quotable sources, and for the 'local skeet' there just isn't any.

Court press releases, local interest 'Woman wins Jam compo' and some scant entertainment news is pretty much all they have to go off.

Archived