[BBC News] Artist defends her gull sculpture

Newsbot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
£30,000?!! Paint me white and I'll stand there and pretend to be a seagull for £30,000

Deal... Report for duty at 8pm tonight - I'll tell the local kids - can't wait to see that on YouTube :)

Ahhh well known local artist Krista Magee, the last time I saw Krista she was involved in another hair brained money making scheme, MAPA (Manx Academy of Performing arts), I'm sure it worked to, I for one was stupid enough to shell out for all the crap the performing children needed to go to the useless meetings. If Bryan Kneale was to make a Gull for Douglas it might hold some credibility but even a simple Google search shows Krista calls herself an artist yet wasn't able to show any of her 'art' (with the exception of the gull ofc)

Good luck to her though, shes a generally nice person.

I love it when artists commissioned to produce public art defend their work after it's criticised, despite the simple fact that they've failed if the public hate what they've produced.

There is a current fashion amongst local councillors to believe that public art miraculously improves and regenerates the area it's in, hence Magee's statement that nobody asks about the benefits public art offers society. What these benefits are, and where there are examples of it, remains a mystery.

For myself I think the idea of a massive sculpture of a seagull is a bit lame and generally uninspired: it seems to say that the main identifying aspect of the promenade and Douglas as a whole is the large quantity of seagulls we have, or that the seagull is somehow special amongst the features of Douglas. Even as a purely decorative feature of the prom it leaves a lot to be desired - we already have plenty of real seagulls to look at if we're that enamoured with them!

What these benefits are, and where there are examples of it, remains a mystery.

there is a bit over bridge from lipton's carpark at the museum steps ;) the benefits as yet are still a misery mystery to me i also believe there are other fine examples at the viller's park area near where skanky chavs and and 8oarders hand out.....

Miss Take Posted Today, 04:20 PM

Have just looked at the artists' impression of what it will look like - the wing'll have someone (very tall)s eye out, mark my words.

linkage of a picture to share with the rest of use would be nice

I love it when artists commissioned to produce public(1)art defend their work after it's criticised, despite the simple fact that they've failed if the public(2) hate what they've produced.

..although I suspect public(1) and public(2) do not refer to precisely the same group of people.

It seems that most public art usually gets a slagging off for a period of time, and then gains acceptance and possibly even affection.

e.g. Angel of the North as an example.

Aye, but the Angel of the North at least looks like it's had some thought put into it, so an argument can be made that it has some kind of merit (although even this iconic piece of sculpture fails to answer the question regarding social benefits - The Angel of the North has been up for nine years now and Gateshead, and the north east in general, is still as crap as it ever was!).

In this instance, however, we're dealing with a seagull. A big placcy seagull.

Archived