[BBC News] Artist defends her gull sculpture

Newsbot

Me too, especially the ones nesting on my neighbours chimlee.

Think you mean 'chimblee'.

Cor blimey guvnor !

I think you mean chimney?

(unless there is a little in joke, I'm missing?)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for "wasting" money on pointess things but plastic!?

The Raad-ny-Foillan is not as described any way, it does not go round the coast. Spend the money on sorting that out and I'll say money well spent.

Me too, especially the ones nesting on my neighbours chimlee.

Think you mean 'chimblee'.

Cor blimey guvnor !

I think you mean chimney?

(unless there is a little in joke, I'm missing?)

Yes - you're missing the in joke!! ;)

"Nobody really asks about the art and how does it benefit society."

so Krista, I would like to ask how this would benefit society because it seems that side of things was omitted by the article......

It clearly gets people who don't know each other talking. Saying things like "which f**wit brainiac thought of that £30K waste of public money?" and "you can't spend quicker than a carpet fitter". etc.

Perhaps instead they should have put up a statue of the council members that voted for this - it would be a lot cheaper - especially as I hear Ann Summers has a sale on.

If it's made of fibreglass, then I'll give it 6 months before some 'mindless-idiot-war-memorial-damaging-chav-yob' type damages it. I don't think they've thought this one out very well.

Albert's post has it for me.

The artist seems a nice sort of person who just wants to do her art. Somewhere. Anywhere.

It is Douglas Corporation that need addressing here, especially the Chairman Christian who used his casting vote in favour of the scheme.

Anyway, on a different note, what is the commonly used Manx name of the common gull:

A. Fluffy chick

B. Shitehawk

C. Shigh Talk

D. Some word beginning with 'f' I can't pronounce

• 7 months later...

Sculpture had to be redesigned cos it didn't pass basic health and safety laws re obstructions on pavements etc. More money wasted, you'd have thought the artist would have done a little research first. And no structural engineer will comment on the safety of the structure itself until it's up.... even more money wasted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
It's got planning permission

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=35126

At least with it being on the bottleneck it will be destroyed when the first storm blows in

"...considerable public discussion" ???

...guess I must have been away when it happened.

I see this gull as nothing more than a symbol of how our government and local government continually sh1t on us from a great height and waste money.

Will no scion of the blood wreak destruction upon this monstrous idol lest Manannán mac Lir rain down vengance upon the land?

Archived