[BBC News] Artist defends her gull sculpture

Newsbot

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyway, on a different note, what is the commonly used Manx name of the common gull:

A. Fluffy chick

B. Shitehawk

C. Shigh Talk

D. Some word beginning with 'f' I can't pronounce

None of the above as 90% of people on the isle of man havent even seen a common gull let alone give it a commonly used name.

I fail to see the importance of a fucking common shitehawk that is everywhere, why not our national bird?

It would make the locals well Chuffed.

Ah the Gull, it mocks us so, a painful reminder of who and what we are and where we may or may not be going. Of course, we can use our imagination and conjure up ways to cull any number of the species. Cull the Gull, if you like, lol,lol, but like the rat and the pigeon, we can never really be masters over this airborne natural survivor. I suspect here lies the true reason for the animosity shown so publicly against this rather splendid sculpture. So like ourselves - without the tiniest hint of guilt, the shifty bird will home in on a recently purchased item of barely edible take away food, often dropping it as it soars away and defecates as a handful of salt in a weeping wound, emphasising the often futile nature of the crime as a flock of brothers home in on the spoils. It's never pleasant to be reminded of one's own calculating coldness, but time and again the Gull does just that. But unlike us, the Gull can, on a whim, be gone to pastures new, to exploit newly discovered fertile ground at a moment's notice, and can only see the sea as a friend, rather than the formidable barrier that so often thwarts the spontaneity of our own expression.

I believe the artist has looked the Gull straight in the eye and said - LOOK, I HAVE UNDERSTOOD FROM WHERE YOU COME, AND THIS IS MY ATTEMPT TO SHOW THE WORLD THAT UNDERSTANDING. Has she succeeded? You be the judge...........

Pfft. Duck tape is no good for a Seagull.

You would have thought that being German, he would have some kind of idea about attaching rockets to things that fly.

I can't really imagine all those top german scientists standing there scratching their heads and exclaiming, 'Duck Tape!' that's it, we'll stick it together with Duck Tape!

Archived