[BBC News] Government defends marina plans

Newsbot

But there were concerns that sea water from the marina could then overflow into the nearby Sulby river.

Erm nevermind overflowing, I wonder what stops it actually flooding the river at the moment. Yep nothing.

Who thinks of this crap? People clutching at straws springs to mind.

But there were concerns that sea water from the marina could then overflow into the nearby Sulby river.

Erm nevermind overflowing, I wonder what stops it actually flooding the river at the moment. Yep nothing.

Mind you i have heard stranger objections, talking to someone at the southern agg show this weekend they claim that if they put a retaining barrier in the harbour flooding of the flatlands up as far as the garey ford is a certainty

he looked confused when i told him he was talking bollocks was i in the wrong or am i correct :huh:

Mind you i have heard stranger objections, talking to someone at the southern agg show this weekend they claim that if they put a retaining barrier in the harbour flooding of the flatlands up as far as the garey ford is a certainty

he looked confused when i told him he was talking bollocks was i in the wrong or am i correct :huh:

(not the bit about overflowing into the river as that will be backed up behind the flapgate at the same level as the 'marina'), but ...

I suggest that you go and sit by the river up by the Garey and watch the level at low tide and high tide and you will see for yourself.

There is very little fall in the river from there to Ramsey, maybe 20ft or so for about 4 miles and any loss of outflow will raise the river level and then any additional rainfall would likely overload the river and flood.

I would suggest that 'someone' may be right :)

Regarding the flooding of Sulby River and the quite recent problems there have been, especially with the new estate "The Mill Race" (there is often a clue to any environmental surprises in the naming of a road) it is interesting to note that over 100 years ago, Sulby residents presented a petition to Tynwald requesting a committee be set up to look at the flooding problem.

The petition was rejected.

What has this got to do with the Ramsey Marina?? mmhh.

Regarding the flooding of Sulby River and the quite recent problems there have been, especially with the new estate "The Mill Race" (there is often a clue to any environmental surprises in the naming of a road) it is interesting to note that over 100 years ago, Sulby residents presented a petition to Tynwald requesting a committee be set up to look at the flooding problem.

The petition was rejected.

What has this got to do with the Ramsey Marina?? mmhh.

Sulby has been sorted now and as Albert said,

I would have thought that, like in Douglas harbour, they would not dam the harbour completely and would leave an overflow such as can be seen under the Douglas swing bridge.

So who gets the contract to build it if and when it happens?

Answer on well stuffed brown envelopes to ...................................

( Not of course implying any suggestion of even the most miniscule whiff of corruption besmirching our lovely totally and utterly free of corruption island)

I suggest that you go and sit by the river up by the Garey and watch the level at low tide and high tide and you will see for yourself.

There is very little fall in the river from there to Ramsey, maybe 20ft or so for about 4 miles and any loss of outflow will raise the river level and then any additional rainfall would likely overload the river and flood.

According to Ordnance Survey the fall from Garey is a mere 7ft. However I would rather trust a GPS measure.

I might be a million mile wrong here, but I always thought the plans for the marina were for the harbour basin area between the swingbridge and the park (see pic)? Are they planning to gate it off at the stone piers then?

post-96-1185986989_thumb.jpg

Are they planning to gate it off at the stone piers then?
the only problem i can see with that will be the amount of time that the marina would be usable as in what state the tide remains high enough to allow the gate to be open,

i know for fact that the douglas gate can only be opened at certain tide states but the harbour monster has no control when the gate closes and is dependant on tide state and air pressure only, so even if the harbour give you a closing time it can be cut short and there is nothing you can do , i have been caught out a few times <_<

I might be a million mile wrong here, but I always thought the plans for the marina were for the harbour basin area between the swingbridge and the park (see pic)? Are they planning to gate it off at the stone piers then?

post-96-1185986989_thumb.jpg

That's what I thought too, which is why I'm surprised at all the talk of flooding. I can't see them gating the piers with Mezeron needing access to the east quay as much as they do. They'd have to be pretty substantial gates too.

Archived