Iom Electricity Price Hike

Albert Tatlock

I am not even cross about this, I'm presuming it is because of the loans and errors that were made. We have electric and the supply is constant so this is the price we have to pay, such is life.

...I haven't heard many pensioners, people on minimum wage or people running businesses saying that.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the elctricity front this is demonstrated as prices go down in the UK and up by twice the rate of inflation in the Isle of Man. Though going by Geoff Corkish's manifesto, prices are likely to soon go down again, and we can no doubt expect some money back, and some 'heads to roll':

As I said, there's been a fuckup that needs paying for. I'll ask again, what's the alternative?

On the elctricity front this is demonstrated as prices go down in the UK and up by twice the rate of inflation in the Isle of Man. Though going by Geoff Corkish's manifesto, prices are likely to soon go down again, and we can no doubt expect some money back, and some 'heads to roll':

As I said, there's been a fuckup that needs paying for. I'll ask again, what's the alternative?

Cripes! ...newspeak is far more common than I thought.

Er...good management, good governance, good stewardship, educated and experienced men and women. If this money is to pay for a 'f**kup' then people need to be held responsible for it...not a 6.9% stealth tax increase across the board hitting the poor, the disabled and pensioners etc. If this money is to pay for a 'f**kup' then it should come out of central coffers - and the people involved should get their arses kicked. It won't affect senior people associated with the government on >£50K a year - just thousands of poor sods trying to make ends meet.

I don't know what's the alternative - candles!! It just seems to be pay out, pay out, pay out over here! (please don't say, there's a boat etc etc I'm from here!!) I'd just like us over here be able to get something good for a change, we always seem to have to be making the best of things. Never mind that you have to pay through the nose for everything - Oh well, the scenery's beautiful, oh well you wouldn't want to live in the UK would you with all those immigrants, oh well the quality of life here's great compaired to the UK, etc etc etc. I know there's nothing we can do but I just get sick of putting up with the cost of things here and then having to listen to smug faced MHKs saying it's all wonderful really and we should be grateful. I'm sick, sick, sick of it! If you try and talk to them about anything like the cost of living they never answer any questions, they stonewall you if you do manage to speak to them, they're arrogant and condescending most of the time and speak to you like your some kind of dim-wit who really isn't in touch and at the end of the day and the bottom line (Peter), I honestly think that all they worry about is retaining their job and salary and pension. When did any one of them put forward a radical idea that they knew was good for the Island but would be unpopular! I can't think of any.

Anyway I'm going to lie down in a dark room now and have a little weep until this feeling passes :(

hows about letting one of the english energy providers in to the island?

you would soon see the prices drop

like a stone!

or hows about getting e-on involved in the island (they make wind farm generated electricity)

i am another member of the general public who has not seen his wages rise in line with inflation, how can a 6.9% rise in energy bills be sustainable for me?

Er...good management, good governance, good stewardship, educated and experienced men and women. If this money is to pay for a 'f**kup' then people need to be held responsible for it...not a 6.9% stealth tax increase across the board hitting the poor, the disabled and pensioners etc. If this money is to pay for a 'f**kup' then it should come out of central coffers - and the people involved should get their arses kicked. It won't affect senior people associated with the government on >£50K a year - just thousands of poor sods trying to make ends meet.

Good management and governance, it was reported that the resucue package is well ahead of budget, they're doing well to dig out of the hole by all accounts. They've certainly dropped much of the follies they were getting into when this blew up, like the powerline broadband shite. Stealth tax? The guy's gone on the radio to say the 6.9% rise is because of the rescue package, how stealthy is that?

People held responsible? The board of the time were all binned, the case is ongoing? Cpme out of the coffers? It has too, this isn't the full extent of the rescue package.

It's not ideal, but it's our problem, it needs fixing, we need to buckle down and dig ourselves out of it.

hows about letting one of the english energy providers in to the island?

you would soon see the prices drop

like a stone!

Well, no you wouldn't, as the rise is to pay for the debt, which wouldn't go away if you bought energy from another supplier. The debt still needs to be paid. What was the final figure? £4,000 for every resident iirc?

When are we all going to stop taking this shit and start refusing to pay the increase.

Manifesto

GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURE

It is apparent to us all that more control and responsibility is required for the day to day management of our nation’s income and departmental budgeting. Coming from the business community I have some knowledge of how a company should be run and managed. Indeed, if private enterprise embarked upon the buying and operation of acquisitions as has been evidenced in the recent past by government, the shareholders would demand to see the accounts and call the directors to book and look for heads to roll. We enjoy a buoyant economy but we must not act irresponsibly with our money. Rigorous scrutiny of government expenditure is essential, as is ownership of responsibility.

That's worrying "I have some knowledge of how a company should be run" the words 'Some' and 'Should' don't inspire much confidence in ability do they?

If this money is to pay for a 'f**kup' then it should come out of central coffers

Where do you suppose these central coffers are funded?

Though these coffers are funded disproportionately by the richest and poorest. 6.9% of an electricity bill can be a weeks shopping for a pensioner and a round of drinks for a civil servant. To announce a rescue plan, then to allow people to get away with a f**k up and make everyone else pay for it disporportionately (especially the poorer of society) is totally unfair. It's nothing but a stealth tax and a cop-out.

It's all very well and good having a bit of a bitch on here, but who is actually going to do anything about it? If you want action you need to get more people on your side, make some leaflets, hand then round douglas with the facts and stats and give the addresses of the people to contact and telephone numbers. Or something.

If not, then nothings going to change. I very much doubt even a letter or two to a MHK would do anything. You need LOTS of people doing the same thing at the same time if you want anything to happen.

It's all very well and good having a bit of a bitch on here, but who is actually going to do anything about it? If you want action you need to get more people on your side, make some leaflets, hand then round douglas with the facts and stats and give the addresses of the people to contact and telephone numbers. Or something.

If not, then nothings going to change. I very much doubt even a letter or two to a MHK would do anything. You need LOTS of people doing the same thing at the same time if you want anything to happen.

I'll ask one more time: There's a debt that needs paying. What do you propose as an alternative? Not paying isn't an option, it must be paid.

I'll ask one more time: There's a debt that needs paying. What do you propose as an alternative? Not paying isn't an option, it must be paid.

no no, what I meant was, there's alot of bitching in this thread, but there is no point in people bitching in here if they are not going to do anything about it.

I do not have an opinion on the matter as I am not the bill payer and I do not know all of the facts myself. That's why I wasn't bitching about the MEA, just asking is anyone, who was bitching, going to do anything.

Archived