Iom Electricity Price Hike

Albert Tatlock

Stop peppering your posts with buzz words you picked up from the Daily Mail.

I wouldn't wipe my ar*e on the Daily Mail....and I only read the UK Independent having given up on all the other British newspapers.

To say 'we've sorted out a package' - and then dump the costs in this way is 'stealthy' behaviour in my book. Did you expect a 6.9% increase?

I'll ask one more time: There's a debt that needs paying. What do you propose as an alternative? Not paying isn't an option, it must be paid.

The answer is in several previous posts. Forums are a two way process - you are expected to read as well as post items.

No-one is saying it doesn't have to be paid for - and if you've got anything above CSE level 4 maths - you can work out that it is the poorer members of society that are going to play far more of a part on paying for it. Thousands of older people die each year from cold-related illnesses in the winter months - and in only six years more than 150,000 over 65s died in the UK. A whopping increase of 6.9% is a lot of money for some old people, if the winter is a cold one I suspect a fair few pensioners on the island will be struggling.

Next time I'll use bigger type and some pictures if you think it will help you.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many older people died on the Island as a result of cold related illnesses in the past six years?

(I know the answer)

Well when I last researched the detail a few years ago (associated with the pension supplement debate) we were talking around 20 to 30 additional (preventable) deaths per year (according to an island based actuary) - depending on the extent of each winter.

How many older people died on the Island as a result of cold related illnesses in the past six years?

(I know the answer)

Well when I last researched the detail a few years ago (associated with the pension supplement debate) we were talking around 20 to 30 additional (preventable) deaths per year (according to an island based actuary) - depending on the extent of each winter.

It's ok to say you don't know.

I don't know the exact official figure if one exists - but I do know it is an estimate because the cold causes excessive winter deaths by exacerbating a variety of factors including hypothermia, falls, influenza, pnuemonia etc etc.

To say 'we've sorted out a package' - and then dump the costs in this way is 'stealthy' behaviour in my book. Did you expect a 6.9% increase?

I expect one now, because we've had advance notification of it. If it was 'stealthy' it would have hit us unawares eh?

The answer is in several previous posts. Forums are a two way process - you are expected to read as well as post items.

I've replied to your suggestions about the cash coming from public funds, it already is coming from public funds in addition to the price increases.

No-one is saying it doesn't have to be paid for - and if you've got anything above CSE level 4 maths - you can work out that it is the poorer members of society that are going to play far more of a part on paying for it. Thousands of older people die each year from cold-related illnesses in the winter months - and in only six years more than 150,000 over 65s died in the UK. A whopping increase of 6.9% is a lot of money for some old people, if the winter is a cold one I suspect a fair few pensioners on the island will be struggling.

Next time I'll use bigger type and some pictures if you think it will help you.

Don't forget it's a percentage, so weathy people who use more power will pay more. If this was the sole way the debt was being paid, I'd agree with you. But it isn't. Should I write that in big type so you get the picture?

Double zoinks! From MR: "The Manx Electricity Authority's price rise of almost 7% from next month is something we should get used to - according to the Treasury.

The scope of the rise had already been approved by Tynwald - inflation plus 2½% - and that level of regular increase could continue every year until 2015.

Treasury Minister Allan Bell says he has to balance the need to sort out the MEA's finances AND look after vulnerable utility customers."

The scope of the rise had already been approved by Tynwald - inflation plus 2½% - and that level of regular increase could continue every year until 2015.

Treasury Minister Allan Bell says he has to balance the need to sort out the MEA's finances AND look after vulnerable utility customers."

Eight years notice, that's some stealth tax!

Could it be time to move off the rock?

For the sake of an extra 2.5% electric bill? Are you serious? We're talking about an increase per household of around a quid a month (over inflation). If that's incentive for you to relocate, you need your bumps feeling.

I am not even cross about this, I'm presuming it is because of the loans and errors that were made. We have electric and the supply is constant so this is the price we have to pay, such is life.

Yes, which is all well and good if these rises were due to external forces. These rises are due to incompetent idiots. The loan was rediculously massive by island standards, as were the errors that allowed the loans to be given in the first place. Some of the people involved in it were just plain stupid and others were sneaky and manipulative to the extreme. These things should not be allowed to happen, to me it defies all logic. Now we have to sit patiently while the powers that be sort it all out, taking the price rises as they come for the next 8 years.

No, it may not be a massive amount each month and pensioners getting heating allowances and standard rises in their pension supplement each year in line with inflation and it's not going to mean that for 1 week each month, families across the island have to go without food to keep from freezing in the depths of winter. But that's not the point, is it? We should never have been put in the position where we have to pay for their big fuck off mistake.

I think we should have a bloody revolution or something it annoys me so much. Hang them all from the fucking shitehawk when that gets put up.

/rant over

For the sake of an extra 2.5% electric bill? Are you serious? We're talking about an increase per household of around a quid a month (over inflation). If that's incentive for you to relocate, you need your bumps feeling.

:)

But don't forget the good news in this item "On the positive side this year we do not anticipate that there will be a need for a fuel cost adjustment - and last year that was a penny a unit." take solice in the fact that I am not average!

This statement is a disgrace, plain and simple. There should be a fuel cost adjustment - downwards! The price of gas has been dropping due to a glut. It also seems the Manx rate of inflation is 4.4% which to me appears somewhat on the high side?

The board of the time were all binned, the case is ongoing?

They left. Well, sort of. People like Mike Proffitt ended up putting themselves on the board of - Skyward. Retainer? A piffling £120K p.a. It was strange as providing IT services was not really his line. Probably one reason why their first business plan was a "little light on detail" shall we say. For £120K p.a. I wouldn't mind producing business plans full of obvious generalities either!

Yes, that was a fuckup, the £120m wasn't properly approved by government, so our elected representatives didn't represent us. Those involved have gone, the mistakes being dealt with by a rescue package, and we're all paying out of our pockets. What do you suggest as an alternative?

Your elected representatives were not given the opportunity to represent you. Allegedly they didn't know about the extra £120 million because MEA didn't tell them and the Treasury didn't ask. Well, actually the Treasury did ask MEA for details but MEA refused to hand them over.

There was an alternative. Tynwald could have refused to retrospectively approve the loans which would have left Barclays in the shape of Mike Proffitt beating up the ex-MEA board - Chairman Mike Proffitt - to recover their dosh! Nice irony.... Unfortunately this strategy would undoubtedly make papers like The Grauniad which would then make the IOM look more like Bank of Toytown than usual. This is completely at odds with their campaign to get shadowy international money to be stashed away no questions asked. So Tynwald rolled over and gave away YOUR money. Nice one.

Archived