Shocking! No More W W N !

Amadeus

Tabloid Shocker! No More Weekly World News

(CBS/AP) An angel of death has visited Earth! Aliens have pulled off an abduction! A mystery ailment has claimed a victim!

Weekly World News, the tabloid that for 28 years has chronicled sightings of Elvis, extraterrestrial activity and the exploits of Bat Boy, is no more. Its publisher said Tuesday it would put out its last issue next month, maintaining only a Web presence.

What does it mean for a black-and-white staple that has delivered news of such historical proportions as Bigfoot's capture of a lumberjack he kept as his love slave and the merman found in the South Pacific? Stay tuned. One thing's for sure: Americans' waits in supermarket checkouts will forever be changed.

The tabloid's publisher, American Media Inc., issued a brief statement that announced the Aug. 27 issue would be Weekly World News' last. It called the closure necessary "due to the challenges in the retail and wholesale magazine marketplace that have impacted the newsstand."

Terrible! Where's the American south gonna get its news from now??

cheneyrobotwn3.jpg

Tabloid Shocker! No More Weekly World News

Terrible! Where's the American south gonna get its news from now??

cheneyrobotwn3.jpg

I happen to be from the American South and I can tell you, I know not one single person who has ever purchased this rag. And I am not clear why you specified the South as opposed to America in general. Contrary to popular belief, Southerns are no more ignorant than Americans in general or even those who frequent this forum.

Contrary to popular belief, Southerns are no more ignorant than Americans in general or even those who frequent this forum.

You'd expect there'd be more sympathy from the Manx for people who are fed up of being viewed as under educated inbred yokels living in a backwards haven of racism, bigotry and ignorance ;) For what it's worth, it's the same the world over: inhabitants of metropolitan areas in England, for instance, tend to view residents in the South West and South East in much the same light.

The Southern States (and to some extent the Midwest) of the U.S. are particularly unfortunate in that America's own media seems to hold and portray the same view of them.

And how about "Ans is a prick".... Trust you, Ans, to come up with a negative, anti-American, smartass remark...you are the king of them! Makes you feel better about yourself, I'm sure.

What a charming representative of the Southern states you truly are. You need to unload that chip off your shoulder really because all you actually seem to contribute to this forum revolves around sleuthing through threads looking for anything that dares to criticise your nation and then responding with some pithy diatribe about how misrepresented you all are.

And if that's all you have to say, then maybe you need to reconsider why you're even a member here now that your internet boyfriend (heh) has crawled back under his little rock.

I happen to be from the American South and I can tell you, I know not one single person who has ever purchased this rag. And I am not clear why you specified the South as opposed to America in general. Contrary to popular belief, Southerns are no more ignorant than Americans in general or even those who frequent this forum.

I can tell you why - an article in an American paper mentioned that some of the stories run in the WWN have been taken as true and caused concern in the American South in the past - I can't find the article anymore as it was on google news at the time and is now gone, but I - as a deckchair stealing, sauerkraut eating, country invading (oh, sorry - that's your job now, isn't it?) German, thought it was funny that an American paper mentioned that.

Here's an article from one of the WWN writers:

Weekly World News meets God!

...."Half the readers realize the stories are tongue-in-cheek; the other half believe they're all true," my editor explained. "You have to write the stories to satisfy both groups."

Still, I often wondered about the half of the readers who considered the WWN a legitimate news publication. Did they find papers like the Los Angeles Times and the Wall Street Journal too dull? Too realistic? Could these folks be the ones who enjoy pork rinds, attend monster truck rallies, elect our president?......

So I shall change my statement to "Where's America gonna get its news from now?" in the hope that this resolves your complaint.

And how about "Ans is a prick".... Trust you, Ans, to come up with a negative, anti-American, smartass remark...you are the king of them! Makes you feel better about yourself, I'm sure.

What a charming representative of the Southern states you truly are. You need to unload that chip off your shoulder really because all you actually seem to contribute to this forum revolves around sleuthing through threads looking for anything that dares to criticise your nation and then responding with some pithy diatribe about how misrepresented you all are.

And if that's all you have to say, then maybe you need to reconsider why you're even a member here now that your internet boyfriend (heh) has crawled back under his little rock.

You really are a sad little man.... so full of self loathing and an ego to span an ocean.... I bet you weren't very popular as a kid in school.... I imagine you were very much picked on.... the kid who sat at the back of the class picking his nose and making rude shapes out of plasticine.... you revel in the title of mod on a small board as its the only status you are ever liable to have.... unlike you I work hard for a living and get my kicks out of what I produce rather than hiding behind a keyboard dosing out crass remarks to people who you wouldn't have the nerve to say boo to in person.... There is one true description for a person like you and that is "coward."

Thank dog I have met many manx people in my time not to base them all on the like of you.

you I work hard for a living and get my kicks out of what I produce

Aye, but (apparently) you produce robots for the Chinese, secret fusion reactors for the French, and gleams of hope in the eyes of Iraqi war orphans as they watch you parachute from the skies to build them a magical bridge direct to Santa's winterland toy workshop, so it's not really a fair comparison; mainly because everyone else don't really stand a chance since most choose to adhere to some sense of reality when assessing their lives.

you I work hard for a living and get my kicks out of what I produce

Aye, but (apparently) you produce robots for the Chinese, secret fusion reactors for the French, and gleams of hope in the eyes of Iraqi war orphans as they watch you parachute from the skies to build them a magical bridge direct to Santa's winterland toy workshop, so it's not really a fair comparison; mainly because everyone else don't really stand a chance since most choose to adhere to some sense of reality when assessing their lives.

I am not the only person ever to sell the Chinese robotics, I have never done any work for the French in any capacity and I parachuted once for charity.... I don't believe in santa and drones are boring.

Archived