Mgp, On Or Off?

WTF

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't pretend to be an expert on the transmission of foot and mouth, but unless we close the whole island for the duration I can't see any reason to cancel the MGP! Surely normal restrictions to farmland can still be applied and say a small access corridor around fields etc made available?

The Manx doesn't attract the same numbers as the TT, and all the action is on the roads in any case. If it is cancelled it's just another overkill by the Manx Government. I attended a car rally in Belgium during the last outbreak, there were loads of Brits there with no restrictions, no foot and mouth outbreak there despite it being held in a huge agricultural area!

the whole path closure (not done in UK) is a gross over-reaction - during the last outbreak there was no reported infection via walkers, nor could any such be found in past infections - all transmission was via movement of livestock (at that time apparently illegal movements of sheep to obtain subsidy by it appears double counting)

the whole path closure (not done in UK) is a gross over-reaction - during the last outbreak there was no reported infection via walkers, nor could any such be found in past infections - all transmission was via movement of livestock (at that time apparently illegal movements of sheep to obtain subsidy by it appears double counting)

I can personally vouch that large parts of the countryside in England were shut off as it meant I couldn't do some of my site work. I also went to Australia during the outbreak and had to walk through disinfectant pads on arrival in Sydney.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the transmission of foot and mouth, but unless we close the whole island for the duration I can't see any reason to cancel the MGP! Surely normal restrictions to farmland can still be applied and say a small access corridor around fields etc made available?

Small access corridor is fine for spectators, but if a bike were to go off into a field beside the road, the marshals etc would have to go down there to sort the incident, and the helicopter would have to land in the field too.

It all comes down to if any further outbreaks are found in other places around the UK, I would imagine, but with an incubation period of up to 21 days, it could be a while before the full extent is known.

I know large sections of English countryside were closed last outbreak - once cooler heads reigned post outbreak it was realised that the damage to tourism was immense and as I said there was no evidence that walking in un-infected areas caused any problem. I used the 'Homer' quote in another post but the whole reasoning of the Government (yes I know that is an oxymoron) relies on 'post hoc propter hoc' - you could argue that so many prayers were said for deliverance that this too had the desired effect.

In reality there is no need to cancel the MGP just as there was no need to cancel the TT last time nor to put in place many of the current measures. Most are a gross over reaction and a case of the those making the decisions being scared to make a rational decision based on evidence or risk factors just in case F&M does arrive in the IoM and they get the blame. That is unless there is evidence of considerable recent movement of livestock to the IoM from the immediately infected areas.

Other parts of the UK are not taking such actions nor is France which is considerably closer to the outbreak than the Island is and will have more visitors! Will we in future ban any visitors to the IoM who come from or via a country that is not F&M free. If we go on holiday to such countries will we have to serve a period of quaranteen when we return. The latter are almost a logical extension of the current policy

When the news of cancelled events in the Islands and other restrictions put in place was announced on the Manx Radio news on Saturday by coincidence I had in the car an ex senior vet from the UK who had resonsibility in the last outbreak of doing the risk assessments and guidelines for the movements of animals, shows, horseracing, etc etc. Now that person is not necessarily infallable but his knowledge on the matter is far a headd of mine and most of us on this site. On hearing the news on Friday night he was questioning how close the farm was to Perbright as the source of an outbreak is virtually never ever cattle. His reaction on hearing Manx Radio news was one of incredulity leading him to question who was 1) giving the advise and 2) if the advise was a case not how do we prevent F&M being brought in to the IoM bit how if F&M is brought into the IoM can nobody be blamed.

Having said all the above I struggle to see how having taken the stance that they have already done that the IoM Govt can reverse it within the necessary timescale and make it not look like a decision driven by the commercial realism of supporting a motorsport event. In my opinion they should let the event go ahead, and I am no big supporter of the TT or MGP, but having taken the extreme stance they have done including closing footpaths etc I think the Manx Government have shot themselves in the foot and I can not see how they can relax their stance until the outbreak in the UK is basically over.

with foot and mouth back, will the MGP get cancelled like the TT a few years ago? :(

I am sure that advice would have been taken and that probably contingency plans had already been discussed and agreed.

However the farming community is a loud and vocal lobby both in the UK and the IoM. I have a lot of sympathy and support for many of them in both communities but at times they are a bit full of their own importance and how outstanding they are. I went to a farmers market on the IoM a good few years back at which a milking demonstration was given. The announcer on the PA was giving it loads of guff about the magnificent looking cattle etc etc etc. Now to my eye they looked no prize winners but I was only brought up in the country and whilst I think I have a half decent eye I am no expert. I did have a couple of mates with me on that date from the UK agricultural community and they were distinctly underwhelmed.

I am all for putting in necessary, reasonable and sensible precautions in respect of the disease etc but it appears that in events such as this we go to the extreme of asking what do the farmers want whether it is necessary or not and then implementing that. Why? Because there is a vocal lobby demanding such action and to stand up against is political suicide.

I do though know some hoteliers though who are hoping the MGP is cancelled and that they get the same compensation as the time the TT was occupied. For some it was their most profitable two weeks ever as they got full income paid by the government but none of the associated costs eg staffing, meals etc etc

my guess was that no advice was given - just a scientifically uniformed kneejerk reaction - just like the various security measures in case the Ben should be hijacked and rammed into heyshan power station !

Almost certainly there was a contingency plan - all the notices of path closures must have been stockpiled etc - what I meant was that there was probably minimal scientific basis for the decision to activate this plan given a single UK outbreak - the Govt should also have been aware of any livestock movement into the Island (is there much - my own guess is that most is one-way off and as carcase meat)

I don’t think that the MGP will run this year, I think it will cancelled and the reason giving will be the foot and mouth outbreak in the uk, but I also think that the real reason it will be cancelled is because of last weeks events, and the foot and mouth is a convenient and maybe not quite so controversial excuse.

Archived