Juan Moore Exhibition At Courtyard Gallery

Static

Just spent the morning entertaining some Chinese colleagues and took them to "The Cat That" cafe at Tynwald Mills for lunch (bloody expensive sandwiches!).

When we'd finished I dragged them over to the Courtyard Gallery for a quick look at what was on display as we had nothng better to do. I don't normally pass there often so was interested on what they had on show.

The latest exhibition was by their artist in residence, a guy by the name of Juan Moore. Never heard of him but thought it worth looking in for 10 minutes.

Absolutely stunning work IMO. Probably not to everyones tastes as some of it was quite 'dark' but very thought provoking.

I'm not an arty type really so would find it hard to describe his style but the link below shows some of his stuff - though the items on display at the gallery were better than that shown on the links.

There was some quite witty social comentary thrown in and the odd Manx in-joke (check out Peel girl/Manx girl - I tried explaining what he was getting at to one of my chinese friends.....how do you explain the 'Peel-Girl' thing to someone from a different culture?).

Well recommended if you're passing by. Just a pity I don't have £150-£300 spare so i could buy one of his pieces.

http://www.artshole.co.uk/juanmoore.htm

http://www.fullfathom.co.uk/Manannan%20Fantasia.htm

• 1 month later...
Just a pity I don't have £150-£300 spare so i could buy one of his pieces

If you like them & really want one, you should save up & get it (IMHO). ATM I am saving up for a Bobby Moore painting, he is such a lovely man & I love the colours he uses, same old story "I dont have a spare couple of hundred squids either". I've never been able to afford 'art' but have quite a nice collection of paintings/sculptures amassed over the years - none of which I regret having bought.....unlike the numerous clothing errors I have purchased over that time too. :)

On the strength of your post, we went and had a look today. His work has gone and there's now a Collen Corlett and Marg Hewson ' Pots and Paintings exhibition. A pity as we would have liked to see more of his work. Mind you had a good laugh at the prices in some of the shops there.......

Bloody hell!!!! First time I start a topic and people reply over 6 weeks later!!! I'm not surprised there's nothing left!!!! And as for the price at Tynwald Mills.....LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, (better change my name to Keyboarder LOL!!!!!!!!)

Bloody hell!!!! First time I start a topic and people reply over 6 weeks later!!! I'm not surprised there's nothing left!!!! And as for the price at Tynwald Mills.....LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, (better change my name to Keyboarder LOL!!!!!!!!)

I think it's taken everybody that long to get over the thought that you might have an appreciation of the arts and culture, however tenuous, lol,lol...........

I think it's taken everybody that long to get over the thought that you might have an appreciation of the arts and culture, however tenuous, lol,lol...........

Hmm, reminder to self - don't post when p****d........

.......and as to my tenuous appreciation of arts and culture, not quite as tenuous as the supposed humour in your posts, lol! :P

• 1 month later...

Hmm, reminder to self - don't post when p****d........

.......and as to my tenuous appreciation of arts and culture, not quite as tenuous as the supposed humour in your posts, lol! :P

Hey I'm very Glad that you enjoyed my artwork, and I do encourage you to save up for a peice, (i think I have an exhibition early 2009) the hole point of that exhibtion was to show people that at can be understood by anyone and to prove to artists that you don't need to paint a watercolour landscape to sell art, any way before I get into a rant...I must say thanks for going to see my show.

ps I can't stand Colleen Corlet's art, its just souless!!

Hey I'm very Glad that you enjoyed my artwork, and I do encourage you to save up for a peice, (i think I have an exhibition early 2009) the hole point of that exhibtion was to show people that at can be understood by anyone and to prove to artists that you don't need to paint a watercolour landscape to sell art, any way before I get into a rant...I must say thanks for going to see my show.

ps I can't stand Colleen Corlet's art, its just souless!!

Lol, bit of post modern bitchiness there, lol...... ; ))

Archived