Government Cancels Life

stookie

The Government issued the following press release today:

"To prevent the spread of any more unhappiness, hurt, disease, accidents, heartbreak, stress, anxiety and anything else not nice, the Government has today decided to cancel all life. All citizens are instructed to immediately find the nearest room, observing a limit of one person to a room and cease any movement until they receive official confirmation that all life is deemed to be without peril."

A spokesperson for the Department of All Footinmouth Thinking (DAFT) commented, "It's well known that life is full of surprises and DAFT is certain some, if not all of them, are not nice. How would it look if something not nice happened to somebody and DAFT had not taken all possible measures to prevent it? DAFT believe this bold move will be judged favourably once everyone realises they have a life absent of any risk of something not nice happening." [Reports that at this point the interviewer confiscated the spokesperson's life are as yet unconfirmed]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Government does because government can.

/thick manx drawling voice

"We're the Isle of Man...we can do whatever we like" /thick manx drawling voice

I assume you are not of local parentage yessir! ,with a wank of a statment such as that ?

I see the first signs of sensible thought (or maybe someone has pointed out the costs of cancelling MGP at this stage) in the re-opening of farmers' markets - why they were closed in the first instance defeats me as no such policy was in place in the UK

and why was the Royal show cancelled, why not just cancel the animals and leave all the trade stands as a lot of the stuff comes across specially for 2 shows, there's a lot of produce stuff as well (or do you have to cancel the farmers too ?) (there was a show on border news last week which went ahead without animals)

but anyone usure of the effects of an outbreak there's plenty of reading available

and why was the Royal show cancelled, why not just cancel the animals and leave all the trade stands as a lot of the stuff comes across specially for 2 shows, there's a lot of produce stuff as well (or do you have to cancel the farmers too ?) (there was a show on border news last week which went ahead without animals)

But what if a local farmer had just returned from a visit to the infected farm in the UK, and had picked up the virus on his wellies, and hadn't cleaned them, and went to the show and infected the ground there, and every other farmer then picked up the virus from the ground on his wellies and went home and infected all the other farms on the island?

Unlikely - but what if ?? :blink:

but anyone usure of the effects of an outbreak there's plenty of reading available

But what if a local farmer had just returned from a visit to the infected farm in the UK, and had picked up the virus on his wellies, and hadn't cleaned them, and went to the show and infected the ground there, and every other farmer then picked up the virus from the ground on his wellies and went home and infected all the other farms on the island?

he should have washed his wellies at the farm gate

Are you trying to get a job at DAFT?

More stupid thinking...

WHAT IF that happened without a Royal Show?

Let's all get into our solitary confinement right away!

nonsense - all that will happen is that meat importers will fill the gap - the manx supply no matter its quality is too small to make any impact. I don't know what the current value of a lamb carcase is but probably not more than £30 - cancelling the MGP at this late stage is unlikely to cost less than £1M - an aweful lot of sheep need to be sold to recoup that.

I'll be very interested in what the Scottish executive does - sheep start to be moved from the Islands starting mid August (I belive Fair Isle has the first such sale followed quickly by the rest of the Shetland producers working soutwards).

I think the farmer might know if he had visited the infected farm in the UK.

As for the rest, well it could happen at any point it time that the virus is brought in from the UK before the disease is spotted there. Or from somebody visiting from a part of the World where F&M is rife, or from importing infected meat. These possibilities are always there and the logically progressionof the current action is that the way we are reacting now should be the way we should always act just in case one of the above events might happen. That obvioulsy would be baloney!

As I posted on another thread we have gone OTT and out on a limb when compared with the action taken by all our neighbours and with what is required keep the disease out of the IoM. We are acting as if we have the disease and wish it not to spread. Not as if we do not have the disease and wish to put in place appropriate and prudent steps to restrict what little chance there is of it arriving.

Government does because government can.

/thick manx drawling voice

"We're the Isle of Man...we can do whatever we like" /thick manx drawling voice

I assume you are not of local parentage yessir! ,with a wank of a statment such as that ?

I think you will find I am as Manx as most. It's just that when I hear a thick drawling Manx accent saying something pathetic I don't fight tooth and nail to pretend what was said was actually erudite and interesting. Nossir.

Simply backing the Isle of Man and Manxiness regardless is not for me.

Archived