Government Cancels Life

stookie

Fair comment!

But I'm pretty sure that most of the sh*te he is coming out with, will have been scripted for him and do you really think the same sh*te would have sounded any better coming from an englishman, scotsman etc.?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what if a local farmer had just returned from a visit to the infected farm in the UK, and had picked up the virus on his wellies, and hadn't cleaned them, and went to the show and infected the ground there, and every other farmer then picked up the virus from the ground on his wellies and went home and infected all the other farms on the island?

Unlikely - but what if ?? :blink:

Are you trying to get a job at DAFT?

More stupid thinking...

WHAT IF that happened without a Royal Show?

Let's all get into our solitary confinement right away!

Wooooosh.....

As someone who grew up townie on the Isle (before uni and living away) and has lived on a farm over here, I'm fully in support of the measures in place.

Although I'm not aware of the numbers of sheep, pigs and cattle on the Island, given the Island's size, the incubation period and the impact on the economy (short term and long term), I'm supportive of the measures, as the impact would be pretty big in both the short and medium term for the Island's economy.

If it did arrive here, farmers *will* be fairly generously compensated for the slaughter (which is lot worse than simply seeing a TV helicopter shot of burning carcasses in fields) and there'll be a significant hole in the Island's agriculture for the next year or 18months for those who actually choose to re-stock rather than sell up to developers in the lowlands or shut up shop in the less hospitable areas

Maybe it's just me as I've only ever attended the show last year for the first time ( I know now what I was missing out on!) but instead of cancelling it full stop why don't they just postpone it for a few weeks.

If all is well in the UK say 4 weeks from now then why not just re-arrange it then?

There are several points to be made

(a) has there been any recorded case of transfer other than by the industry itself (movement of livestock,transport vehicles or personell?) - this was raised last outbreak and no one gave any credible transfer via walkers (with no connection to infected farms) walking on uninfected lands

(b)there has been NO movement of livestock within the incubation period from the UK

© even it it did arrive on the Island by some means (seagull convoy?) why should it spread instantly throughout the Island

In the middle ages people indulged in self flagellation to avoid the plague - possibly that too 'worked' on the basis that no plague appeared

Or as in the UK continue just without cattle sheep, pigs.

Horses, produce, fur and feather etc can call still run

Maybe it's just me as I've only ever attended the show last year for the first time ( I know now what I was missing out on!) but instead of cancelling it full stop why don't they just postpone it for a few weeks.

If all is well in the UK say 4 weeks from now then why not just re-arrange it then?

I do not think anybody is not supportive of measures to stop the importation of F&M. The arguement is whether many of the steps are necessary. If Step A to C are enough to prevent it arising do we need steps D to Z as well.

The Island currently has I understand it a policy much more strict and severe than anywhere else in the UK and Ireland outside the immediate 3km & 10km restriction zones

Why does the IoM feel the need to introduce such steps if nowhere else does?

As someone who grew up townie on the Isle (before uni and living away) and has lived on a farm over here, I'm fully in support of the measures in place.

Although I'm not aware of the numbers of sheep, pigs and cattle on the Island, given the Island's size, the incubation period and the impact on the economy (short term and long term), I'm supportive of the measures, as the impact would be pretty big in both the short and medium term for the Island's economy.

If it did arrive here, farmers *will* be fairly generously compensated for the slaughter (which is lot worse than simply seeing a TV helicopter shot of burning carcasses in fields) and there'll be a significant hole in the Island's agriculture for the next year or 18months for those who actually choose to re-stock rather than sell up to developers in the lowlands or shut up shop in the less hospitable areas

(b)there has been NO movement of livestock within the incubation period from the UK

I know you're on a bit of a grind.. but that's not true. Animals imported within the incubation period have been blood-tested however, I'm not sure what the lead time is on them kind of tests though.

the reported incubation period is about 7 days - this fits in with the known facts re production of vaccine at Merrill and the first noticed outbreak - the Island press (and yes I know this is a dodgy source as investigative journalism is a dirty word here) gave 'several weeks' as the last last time livestock imported - and surely the govt should be on top of imports in order to 'keep the Island free of F&M' as movement of livestock is responsible for 99% at least of outbreaks.

Yes I am on a bit of a grind - I raised exactly the same points last time - the UK this time insisted the coutryside was open until the press and Tory MPs (remember the Tory party across did not want any access to the countryside by ramblers whether F&M or not) started a press campaign.

Channel 4 News, has just had an interview with a farmer in the infected area (actually between the lab and the infected farm). Officials have told him he must keep the footpaths across his land open!

His MP was on saying, and I'm paraphrasing, "it's all very well saying there is no scientific evidence that there's a risk, but these people in the infected area are worried. Obviously, we shouldn't close the footpaths in the whole country or even in all of Surrey, but just in the seclusion zone".

So are Daff daft?

Find my Homer quote in another thread - also think about the self-flagellation or praying befor images etc to avoid plague or even prayers for Royal family - all of which can be demonstrated statistically (yes I know a dirty word for non-scientists)to be nonsense but people still believe in their efficacy.

My own guess judging from the delay in issuing the report is that lawyers are involved, almost certainly protecting commercial backsides - a commercial quantity of vaccine using the virulent strain from 1967 has just been produced, the local sewers have overflowed - ok 2+2 may make 5 this time but I'd be very worried about living anywhere near that plant in future.

Can anyone explain why they site a research facility containing stuff like F&M in the countryside? Are they total barmpots (DAFT emplyees?) or what? It's a bit like studying smallpox in the middle of London (but they probably do that as well!)

I spotted a footpath that goes through Vicarage Park estate (I guess, built to preserve an old public footpath when the estate was built) and that has tape across it! Where is the sense in that? It is a footpath going through a housing estate.

Next they will close down the rear entrance of Marxies as that was to preserve a public right of way and so must be a footpath and, ipso facto, must be closed! Dolts.

Archived