Teaching Children How To Play

John Barber

It aint like that here, yet. Want a bet that it will end up the same.?

Judging by the fact that you joined this forum on 1 August and have only made five posts I reckon you are new to the Isle of Man. If so, a very warm welcome to you and I hope you love it to bits like the Cronky family. However, if you have just moved from accross be aware that it can take a few years to wind down into the Island's laid back lifestyle. It's easier to be suspicious than drop you gaurd.

I am confident that the Isle of Man won't become a Nanny State like the UK. People here seem only too aware of the social and cultural change in the UK. To some extent it's none of their business. To some extent they are aware of the changes and don't want the bad cultures following over here. The Manx Government does not spend it's time shovelling out politically correct garbage like the British Government. The community is strong and, despite what you read in the press, it's a safe place. Children and teenagers are the best possible advert for the Isle of Man and I don't suppose anyone wants to throw that away.

Judging by the fact that you joined this forum on 1 August and have only made five posts I reckon you are new to the Isle of Man. If so, a very warm welcome to you and I hope you love it to bits like the Cronky family. However, if you have just moved from accross be aware that it can take a few years to wind down into the Island's laid back lifestyle. It's easier to be suspicious than drop you gaurd.

I am confident that the Isle of Man won't become a Nanny State like the UK. People here seem only too aware of the social and cultural change in the UK. To some extent it's none of their business. To some extent they are aware of the changes and don't want the bad cultures following over here. The Manx Government does not spend it's time shovelling out politically correct garbage like the British Government. The community is strong and, despite what you read in the press, it's a safe place. Children and teenagers are the best possible advert for the Isle of Man and I don't suppose anyone wants to throw that away.

I disagree, the Island is the most overgoverned place in Europe and is awash with under-employed govt. workers looking to justify their pay. What better way to do it than enforcing petty EU rules.

The Nanny state is happening here and is getting worse by the day.

This from a recent national newspaper on the vexed subject of allowing children the freedom to go out and PLAY. Quote "in a small residential street in Aldershot, it required five policmen, three community support officers, a trafic management crew, a closed-circuit telivision van and a team of "play workers" from the local council. Past the concentric rings of barricades, officers, officials with badges, the children played". I am not, I promise, making this up. What in Gods name has been created, probably in the guise of "health and safety" that has got us to the point anyone can possible feel that this is anything other than a complete ann total disaster. How are children, who have never been allowed to learn to play as childer should, going to grow up.

One fairly important detail about the story that's being ignored here is that the street in question was housing an event for National Playday which entailed the street be closed off, featured various stalls and booths from council, benefits, employment and education services, and was an event serving the entirity of the Rushmoor district of Aldershot.

Also important (and equally neglected here) is the fact that is the event was organized by Play England, a consultancy, training, and lobby organization set up to promote "free play" for children, hence the presence of their "play workers" (in effect they are trying to promote their services).

In short, it was a fairly large event put on by an extra-governmental agency trying to hawk its services to local councils and raise its profile with the public. It was not, contrary to what the post quoted above seems to suggest, some bizarre manifestation of state control that requires kids to fill out forms in triplicate before they can go out and play (and then only under the careful observation of the police and council workers). To emphasise this, here's a quote from the article in the times:

We asked PC Stephen McCoy, the police officer in charge of this beat, whether safety concerns had scared children off the local streets, as Play England suggests. He looked surprised.

“Well, no, they actually play out by themselves here quite a lot, from quite young,” PC McCoy said.

Personally I find Play England's mission questionable as it appears to capitalise on or encourage fear for children's safety in order to justify its lottery funding and the services they offer, but this isn't an issue of that dreaded bugbear "health and safety", of the nanny state gone mad, of brussles bureaucrats, or indeed any other of the usual suspects.

The Nanny state is happening here and is getting worse by the day.

It depends where you are coming from and what your experience or the UK is.

Compared to the UK I just do not see a Nanny State. That is not to say that elements of the culture are not creeping over. However, I do not see ridiculous things like schools banning their children from running in the playground in case they fall over. Most people I know, including teachers, have a common sense attitude towards children.

We have just had friends visit from accross. The problems they face in their local village just do not exist here in the Isle of Man.

This is a continual theme, both on these Forums and in the national press. Even ROSPA are advocating children getting out there and falling over, bumping themselves to learn self-preservation. It isn't rocket science, although I have been accused here of being an uncaring, neglectful parent, but telling a child they will hurt themselves if they do a, b or c, will not teach them as well as actually hurting themselves in a small way. Look on it as a 'life vaccination'.

Apart from the physcial safety aspects, how else will kids learn how to get along socially if they are forever having their position in the peer group enforced/protected by an over-watchful adult?

Buzz word I know, but surely it is about 'empowerment'. You know, go out there take the rough and tumble, and from that you will learn first hand what it is all about. But I am always here in the background to help you pick up the pieces and get back out there.

Compared to the UK I just do not see a Nanny State. That is not to say that elements of the culture are not creeping over. However, I do not see ridiculous things like schools banning their children from running in the playground in case they fall over. Most people I know, including teachers, have a common sense attitude towards children.

Hmm, it might not be as bad as the UK, but there's definately nannystatism going on. How about the skipping rope thing in schools? Kids aren't allowed skipping ropes in school now, but the govt wanted to promote it as a way to get the flab off, so we had skipping rope instructors visit our schools and train staff (dinner ladies I think) as skipping rope supervisors so that they kids were allowed to bring ropes in. Even then, the kids are only allowed to use the ropes when theres a suitably qualified skipping rope supervisor present.

Daft and sad.

I don't think it's just a case of nannystateism though, I think a lot of these safety worries are a result of a litigation culture that forces the authorities and organisers hands.

Vinnie: I mentioned the promotional aspect you crack smoker!

Even then, the kids are only allowed to use the ropes when theres a suitably qualified skipping rope supervisor present.

I agree,that is clearly a bollocks situation to be in

I don't think it's just a case of nannystateism though, I think a lot of these safety worries are a result of a litigation culture that forces the authorities and organisers hands.

Sure you are right on that one. I just hope the legal profession here does not cash in on the fear and safety culture. However, most everyone I talk to about these issues seems of similar mind. I.e. children need to take risks as part of growing up.

Sure you are right on that one. I just hope the legal profession here does not cash in on the fear and safety culture. However, most everyone I talk to about these issues seems of similar mind. I.e. children need to take risks as part of growing up.

Considering we have more people that get law qualifications than computer science qualifications every year - is that not inevitable?

Limiting the number of law student placements each year would do much to resolve this - they're breeding like a virus.

Dig through online stats

Considering we have more people that get law qualifications than computer science qualifications every year - is that not inevitable?

Limiting the number of law student placements each year would do much to resolve this - they're breeding like a virus.

From the link,

Qualifications Obtained 2005/2006: Law: 29780 < Computer Science :34005

Subject of Study 2005/2006: Law: 89580 < Computer Science: 120150.

So, judging by the link you yourself supplied less people study law and gain qualifications than computer science, begging the question of where you got the idea that every year more people get law qualifications. The comparison between law and computer science is a bit ropey as well since computer science isn't even that popular a subject - overall, Law students count for about 5% of people studying in the HE system (as an "incidence rate" this makes law a pretty poor "virus"), ranking Law at a paltry 11th place in terms of popularity (just above the Physical sciences in fact, which are themselves hardly reknowned for their popularity). Then there's the matter of just how many of those law students even go on to practice law, never mind specialize in and practice Tort law (as opposed to property, company, civil or criminal law).

Not the strongest case there for recommending another state imposed restriction upon people's freedom.

Ai_droid: I was talking about the very first post, you mental.

Been here 30 wonderful years, near as makes no matter, and in that time we have not avoided following in the steps of the UK, just we do it a few years later. Sad but true. Our Government is not exempt from stupidity.

The means of dilution of a countries culture and valiues is immigration. There's no problem with people whoo move here to contribute to the community and are prepared to sgn upto the "manx" way of life, but care needs to be taken with those who seek to retire here, buying up tracts of investment property and trying to make the Island what England was for them 20 years ago.

the new work permit proposals present a much weaker control system than the island needs and will open the door for undesireable immigration.

The means of dilution of a countries culture and values is immigration. There's no problem with people whoo move here to contribute to the community and are prepared to sgn upto the "manx" way of life, but care needs to be taken with those who seek to retire here, buying up tracts of investment property and trying to make the Island what England was for them 20 years ago.

the new work permit proposals present a much weaker control system than the island needs and will open the door for undesireable immigration.

Archived