Onchan Planning Permission

GI James

The unfortunate thing is, I really dont have any confidence in "independant" planning inspectors nor the government as a whole. Sadly I think Dandara will get their way, one way or another. Dandara must have bought that land for a fair packet so they'll certainly be pulling all the stops (and speaking to the *right* people) to see that it happens. :(

I think you will find the reason behind so many planning applications is that, The developer will put in a plan that they know will be turned down due to it being pretty damn unreasonable.

Then they reapply with a slightly more sensible idea , and they keep applying getting more and more reasonable until eventually the plans are passed. They know that if they put the “passed “plan in first place, that would have definitely been turned down.

Absolutely true in my opinion. This is what happens with almost every new development.

I don't understand how people complain about the housing market so much.

No (working) young couples I know have been unable to afford to buy, and a few of my friends have very recently bought on their own - which for our parents, and their parents it was pretty unlikely they could afford to do.

I think we should be building old folks sheltered housing - they take up less space and are in real demand - and it would free up the houses that a lot of older folks are currently stuck living in.

Basically, if I'm not a company director, I have to be part of a couple now in order to buy a house, that must be where I've been going wrong all this time! Well, let's face it, it's either that or I can get pregnant. My basic human right to housing doesn't exist if I'm single. I have discussed this with people on several occasions and we are always trying to figure out new ways to provide cheap, affordable housing for people in my situation.

It's not just old people who have a real need for housing. Almost all of my single friends still live at home with their parents and some are now in their thirties and have been on the commissioners single flat list for many years with high prices meaning they have no chance of ever buying a property on their own. I'm not a high-flyer, I earn enough money, but not enough to buy a house on my own.

I can see why so many young girls turn to pregnancy as a way out.

I'm just pointing out that buying a house has pretty much always been the way it is now - only these days people seem to think they have a right to buy a house on their own, which our parents and grandparents never could, that's all.

Wonder how many houses there are on the Island? If we all decide we want to live alone we'd probably have to build twice as many again.

Why don't more single people get together and buy a house jointly?

That's what I did, and it might not be the perfect arrangement but it means I'm on the property ladder at least.

As for old people - some of them are widowed, house bound, with walking difficulties meaning they can't get upstairs etc etc - IMO they *need* sheltered accomodation - people living at home with mummy and daddy don't. Besides which, it would free up many family sized homes for younger people anyway.

I'm trying to sort out somewhere for an elderly member of my family - she's been on the list for a few years now, and has had several bad falls. I can't find *any* sheltered accomodation for sale- retirement complexes yes (and even those are in short supply), but not sheltered. Meantime, she's stuck in a four-bed family home with garden. There must be loads of people like her.

Don't really know where you're coming from with pregnancy, mate of mine went on the housing list when she fell pregnant - she's just got her council house - the kid is now 7.

Hardly a "way out"...

I don't mean to have a go - and of course there are people who can't afford to buy - but there always has been.

I can see that you don't understand the single person's perspective, which is ok because it's the usual response. However, I have have had some very positive feedback from others so I'm becoming more positive about the future.

As for the disabled housing situation, it is something which is very dear to me and something I have found fault with the DHSS and Local Authorities in the past. That is all I want to say about that.

I'm just pointing out that buying a house has pretty much always been the way it is now - only these days people seem to think they have a right to buy a house on their own, which our parents and grandparents never could, that's all.

Actually my father bought his house in Ramsey, on his own, with no help whatsoever from his parents or anybody else (apart from the mortgage lender). The house costs a small fortune today, thanks to the crazy house prices, and I'm confident that your average single-person house-buyer couldn't afford to buy it.

By the way, he was a single 20-something labourer at the time.

EDIT - I think it's also very important to add that the make-up of society has changed since our parents and grandparents times. In today's world, what with the high divorce rates (is it 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 marriages which now ends in divorce?) and with more people choosing to be single for longer and leaving starting a family to later on in life or not at all, there are now more single people than ever before looking for housing.

What i don't understand is, the recent developments in Douglas, the old pub next to the Villa Marina and those on the end of Strand street.

The companies that refurbished them, have to be admired for redeveloping old/derilect property...but what will happen, someone will probably buy, then put them out for rent £900 per month, who can afford it?

Why didn't the goverment buy them, and rent for a standard £400 per month..it can be done you know..you will have to trust me when i say you can.

Single people in commisioners house's could be given first refusal, thus freeing up family homes(The same rent as their commisioners houses) as an incentive.

I mean who gave permission for those Majestic apartments £350,000 to £1million plus..what use are they?

Loads of owners you probably don't want over there, why not luxury 3 bed houses, for those that have done well, but have a family?

Basicly, this is how Horitage Homes will be going about getting the plans passed at Birch Hill. IMO

Firstly they submit the original plans. When this got the knock back, a list of reasons why would have been given them.

Then they address the reasons given, change the plans accordingly and re-apply.

When they get knocked back again they ask for a Review. All the objectors letters are then given to Horitage Homes for them to see.

At review they will try to discredit many of the personal objectors but will not play their true hand yet. It gets knocked back again so they ask for appeal.

Now they will play the Ace.

They will now most probably have their lawyers argue that they have addressed the issues for rejection with regards the original application so on what grounds can the second be also rejected.

The only thing this will argued over is the traffic problem it will cause in Onchan as they've had plenty of time to address the objections from the people of Birch Hill. As the Indapendant Inspector comes from England, he's more likely to be more sympathetic to HH on the traffic issue due to the fact traffic biuld up in small areas is not really seem as a major problem in most of England, more of a way of life. IMO

Has anyone else noticed the state of some of the older houses on the Island especially the ones round the Islander Chippy. Its such a pity they couldn't be changed into 1st time buyer units for the up and coming youth, and even turn the old hospital site into a 1st time buyer complex with none of this buying to rent allowed.

Birchill Estate just isn't right for all these new houses, there are to many older people living on this estate that would be totally alienated by all the building and big lorries making their comfortable homes a nightmare place to live. Its just not fair to put the generation that went through the 2nd world war to make our Island a safer place to live through all this crap.

I live in Birchill in one of the older houses and the people that live on my street are a community, which can not and will not put up with living on a building site. I moved here to be away from Governors Hill where I used to live in one of the JG Kelly houses.

I think Dandara already own the land on the oppersite side of the road from the cat with no tail, that road and new round about can substane the level of traffic that the new estate ill bring, let them build all the houses they want there. If someone could check this fact for me I would appreciate it, I'm sure it was in my deeds for my Abbeyfields house.

Let the older generation live their lives in peace and quiet away from all the rabble that the Dandara Estates bring with them.

And isn't it about time the houses where build whereas the young could aford to buy them instead of having to rent that at really high rates from the buy to let market. I would like to see flats being built for first time buyers at a cost of £80k for example, let them get a foot on the ladder.

LM

Has anyone else noticed the state of some of the older houses on the Island especially the ones round the Islander Chippy.  Its such a pity they couldn't be changed into 1st time buyer units for the up and coming youth, and even turn the old hospital site into a 1st time buyer complex with none of this buying to rent allowed.

I'd go with that (I live in Demesne Road anyway) - Government to build (or convert) some 1-bedroom apartments to get the single people like me off the list and sell them at a semi-sensible price (£75-85k, perhaps).

Mind you, the landlords of the houses around this area don't get any help from planning - my landlord wants to fit uPVC double-glazing to the building, and has been turned down at appeal as the planning people want him to spend 3 times as much on hardwood double glazing - the fact that probably 50% of the houses in Demesne Road have uPVC windows already has presumably slipped past them :rolleyes:

Archived