Douglas Quay

Moghrey Mie

First they put a major supermarket in a cul-de sac in Lake Road.

Then they added the island's central bus depot.

Soon they will be building houses on the old refuse depot.

All this increase traffic in the area.

Now they want the quayside to be a pedestrian area and according to David Christian may consider asking the bus company to put restrictions on buses being driven along the quay so people can admire his seagull in peace.

Aren't there people with degrees in town plannin g these days?

All this increase traffic in the area.

Now they want the quayside to be a pedestrian area and according to David Christian may consider asking the bus company to put restrictions on buses being driven along the quay so people can admire his seagull in peace.

Aren't there people with degrees in town plannin g these days?

It's because the people with degrees in town planning are running the shop that you're getting what your getting. They've no sense of actually living with their big ideas.

You get the point though Terry...don't you? It is rather busy down that neck of the woods and now they are going to create more stuff down there. Soon Hemariod Homes will get planning permission to build 150,000 luxury appts on the site of the old wood place and car garage (saw some legal blurb in the paper a month or so ago - chancery or something, I dont know anything about it anyway - changing the deeds on some property there so they could open a pub/shop/houses in that area, so I imagine it has something to do with that) which will further add to the traffic nightmare that is Banks Circus.

As for David Christian...well, what can you say about that man? I keep hearing his name and noone seems to think very much of him, this being the case..Why is he Douglas council leader? Do they even have coucil elections these days? "Leave our seagull alone!" was the cry, did we (the rate payers of Douglas) ask for a stupid flapping seagull? £29,000 was the price tag printed this week, thats a grand cheaper than the last report, maybe it has a broken beak and the artist has given a reduction...lol...

Hey, where is keyboarder?

and another thing...can anyone find any art done by our Seagull maker? I've searched and searched and I cant find any record of her work, surely this isnt her first installation, I mean, Douglas Corporation wouldnt really be paying an unknown artist £29K for a seagull would they?

You get the point though Terry...don't you? It is rather busy down that neck of the woods and now they are going to create more stuff down there. Soon Hemariod Homes will get planning permission to build 150,000 luxury appts on the site of the old wood place and car garage (saw some legal blurb in the paper a month or so ago - chancery or something, I dont know anything about it anyway - changing the deeds on some property there so they could open a pub/shop/houses in that area, so I imagine it has something to do with that) which will further add to the traffic nightmare that is Banks Circus.

As for David Christian...well, what can you say about that man? I keep hearing his name and noone seems to think very much of him, this being the case..Why is he Douglas council leader? Do they even have coucil elections these days? "Leave our seagull alone!" was the cry, did we (the rate payers of Douglas) ask for a stupid flapping seagull? £29,000 was the price tag printed this week, thats a grand cheaper than the last report, maybe it has a broken beak and the artist has given a reduction...lol...

Hey, where is keyboarder?

and another thing...can anyone find any art done by our Seagull maker? I've searched and searched and I cant find any record of her work, surely this isnt her first installation, I mean, Douglas Corporation wouldnt really be paying an unknown artist £29K for a seagull would they?

Wow, have you been drinking 'Relentless' all afternoon? :P

I miss keyboarders posts, they had a major cringe factor that was both entertaining and made you draw breath through pursed lips, like a joke you know you shouldn't laugh at but only realise that after you've laughed...maybe he's on his holidays. Or maybe someone got a tired hand from all the sock puppetry. Meh, I still miss his antics.

Don't forget more appartments on North Quay:

07/01304/B - Demolition and re building of former retail/storage/workshop to form 7 self contained apartments, retaining retail/storage usage to ground floor and basement, Site Of Former Riley's Building 12 North Quay

And just that we're at North Quay - which brilliant individual's idea was it to install loads of steel bollards along there now? It was really nice and perfect before, and suddenly some ugly and probably expensive ornaments appear

quay2ls5.jpg

Unsurprisingly, they're already getting hit left, right'n centre and I'm sure it will be well cheap to change them all the time...

quay01qo7.jpg

These thingies are serving absolutely no purpose whatsoever - none, nada, zilch (There's still enough space in between them to park a car, in case you thought that was why they were installed). So, congratulations to whoever thought that one up ! You've just deliberately created more than a dozen new hazards - well done! FFS - you don't need a degree to work out that that's a sh*t idea....

were they going to sling another bridge across the river (and no doubt another roundabout) from opposite the tesco car park entrance where the stub of road lead to the riverbank ?

I think this was planned, the road just kinda stops. It would make life a lot easier!

As for the seagul, art will always cause debate... I welcome it, Douglas needs a HELL of a lot of money spending on it - although perhaps this should come from central government rather than Douglas rate payers.

That said - the change in paving on the Quay REALLY bugs me :P

These thingies are serving absolutely no purpose whatsoever

Oh I dunno dude, they've cleary proven there's some shit drivers out there - maybe they're fitted with mini camera's that record the numberplates of the numpty driven vehicles that hit them. :)

Archived