Local Beer Is Green

ai_Droid

Great item on Mandate this morning about how drinking locally produced beer in a pub is good for the environment, Martin Brunchingweihelgher did pretty well to back up the argument off the cuff. Boiled down to:

- local beer doesn't travel far to the pub

- it's delivered in barrels that are re-used, not creating waste like beer cans and packaging

- if your drinking in a busy pub instead of alone at home, you're sharing the heating/lighting with more people making it more efficient

- local breweries re-use the biproduct, like the waste from bushies goes to the horse tram horses to eat

So get down the pub and sup for the planet, I'll be down the Rovers this lunchtime doing my bit!

(anyone seen any web reference for this, I think it came from the campaign for real ale)

Drunken horses? Not knowing how they brew the stuff, what waste do they feed to the horses?

The spent hops I imagine?

Albert, you dont like all of it? They produce more than one kind of beer you know? I like the Wheat beer lots in bottles, don't think I've seen it on tap anywhere though?

Or are you a larger lady? :)

Albert, you dont like all of it? They produce more than one kind of beer you know? I like the Wheat beer lots in bottles, don't think I've seen it on tap anywhere though?

With the exception of a few real ales in the UK - no one knows what real beer tastes like - until they have spent a few years living in Europe.

Anyway, what would you know - you drink oil don't you?

With the exception of a few real ales in the UK - no one knows what real beer tastes like - until they have spent a few years living in Europe.

Anyway, what would you know - you drink oil don't you?

Well you don't know much then. All beer on the IoM is brewed to a Beer Purity Law which the UK doesn't have. So our real ales are more "real" than anything brewed in the UK.

:)

The most astute posting ever made, ever. Myself I'm addicted to the Germanic wheat beers, must try the Manx stuff when over in October.

The most astute posting ever made, ever. Myself I'm addicted to the Germanic wheat beers, must try the Manx stuff when over in October.

How do you know if it's an astute posting if you've not tried the local beer?

How do you know that I haven't? I quite liked the Castletown beers all those years ago but I was younger then. I must try the Manx wheat stuff when I come over is what I meant.

I like the Wheat beer lots in bottles, don't think I've seen it on tap anywhere though?

On tap in the Highwayman at the moment I think.

Local or Erdinger? Out of interest, what's the draught price?

I like the Wheat beer lots in bottles, don't think I've seen it on tap anywhere though?

On tap in the Highwayman at the moment I think.

Local or Erdinger? Out of interest, what's the draught price?

I couldn't remember the name of it, but looking at the Okells site it was their Summer Storm Wheat Beer. Don't know the price, sorry.

How do you know that I haven't? I quite liked the Castletown beers all those years ago but I was younger then. I must try the Manx wheat stuff when I come over is what I meant.

Bigging up a post saying all uk beers suck compared to euro beers, then admitting you've not tried all uk beers seems to me to fuck your credability. I'd never be so arrogant to say all UK beers suck, I've not tried em all. I do like plenty of them though, including some of the local produce. And I've spent a fair amount of time in europe too.

James: Ta, that's sunday lunch sorted :)

Archived