[BBC News] No criminal probe after TT deaths

Newsbot

No criminal charges will follow the deaths of three people during the centenary Isle of Man TT, police reveal.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6940471.stm

Whoever said it was a criminal investigation in the first place. Not the police. So who did raise that spectre, who was responsible for making dozens of marshals stop and think, 'That could be me?'.

Who was responsible for maybe causing honest citizens to stop marshalling, and causing the cancellation of the MGP, and perhaps the TT ?

Could it be our local friendly newspaper ??

But after discussions with the Attorney General, senior officers have decided against starting criminal proceedings.

sounds as if there was some query - maybe when the report is finally published we may be able to see why the paper reported the story - but it still raises (correctly) that you cannot insure marshals against criminal proceedings.

Det Ch Con Mike Langdon said: "Whilst this matter is no longer being treated by the police as a criminal investigation
which implies that there was a criminal investigation (despite the Police saying that there wasn't.......). If there was no criminal investigation, why was someone arrested in connection with the matter? The newspaper can't make that up. During these sorts of things, there is a lot the media can't report about.

forgive my ignorance of this but how is this a criminal matter?

From what I do know a TT rider lost it and the bike went to the crowd, it was at a place where people have spectated for almost as long as there have been races on the mountain.

Its a tragedy and lessons should be learnt, but how can it be anyone's fault never mind a marshall?

forgive my ignorance of this but how is this a criminal matter?

From what I do know a TT rider lost it and the bike went to the crowd, it was at a place where people have spectated for almost as long as there have been races on the mountain.

Its a tragedy and lessons should be learnt, but how can it be anyone's fault never mind a marshall?

It's not a criminal matter. That's what they said. Maybe no-one knows what really happened, the investigators have to piece together the information they have and come up with the answer that way, they obviously felt at the time that the arrest they made was justified, no charges have been brought and it appears that it was tragic accident after all. That's the point of an investigation.

it must be some 10 weeks and so far no official report as to what happened has appeared - was there a reason the rider 'lost it'; should the car in which one visitor was killed have been there ... my own take is that 10 weeks seems an excessive amount of time to need for an enquiry - maybe postponeing any action until after the MGP might improve the 'corporate image' - however inquiries into potential TT shortcomings would appear to take a very long time as witness the rider killed by a non-flagged rope last year.

Archived