Is The Island Running Out Of Food?

mikeldn

They still sell loads of forign stuff which just doesn't taste the same as our junk, so i just bought some apples.

Is that the Idea of Aldi's?, Loads of cheap German stuff?

If you shop with the riff raff Mike there is no supply shortages in Shoprite, Co-op or Tesco's........

It sells rip-offs of popular brands/products. They have Titan bars, which are basically Mars bars, same wrappers, same font style but taste like poo. The meat, oh god the meat looks hideous. You wouldn't buy that and eat it unless there was something wrong with you or you were seriously impoverished. My mate used to spend most of his money as soon as he got it but managed to feed himself for a week on £5 in Aldi. I think he may even be still alive. Which is amazing, frankly.

Ay - ALDI is one of the biggest German supermarket chains (if not the biggest by now). Most stuff they sell is made by companies that usually sell heavily branded stuff, i.e. Nestle, Kraft, etc - it just doesn't say that on the tin/wrapper. They're cheap and used to employ the checkout girls after how quick they can type the prices in. Another useless piece of information: ALDI stands for ALbrecht DIscount and was founded by the Albrecht brothers (Theo and Karl), two of the richest Germans with two-digit billion bank accounts each - cheap pays, it seems....

It is pretty sad that M&S import all their so called fresh sandwiches.

But equally I have to say I think it is one huge over-reaction to ban the import of all such items - empty shelves the result.

I hope some entreupreneur will be able to use the shortages to break into the market with local produce - import costs vrs volume cost savings - it looks like we can't compete with the scale of some Lancaster sandwich maker (I presume they are made there or somewhere similar - anyone know?).

I'd have thought we'd be quite good at making sarnies - clearly not!

M&S is always crap for food deliveries, whenever I feel flush and fancy a posh microwave meal they never have anything in, lazyness that's all it is, trying to impress the ladies with my culinery expertise of microwaving something soggy and they have none in! Although Super Noodles on toast with cheese always impresses the most sophisticated of people ;)

OH my lord - how the hell do you eat supernoodles with cheese? I tried it once and it all seperated and wouldn mix and then when i put it in my mouth it all massed together into this mad chewy substance that i couldnt swallow!! When i spat it out I had a greasy mouth like I had eaten vasaline and even loads of water/milk and tea couldnt get rid of it!!!.....I was stoned at the time though so dont know if that had an effect??? :o

PS: I hate Aldi that is my local and they dont even have carrier bags and they dont accept credit cards and all the food is weird - good points are that you could at your whim buy a chainsaw or various choices of no brand trainers or vests! WTF! although actually they are the cheapest place around to buy smoked mackerel!

They still sell loads of forign stuff which just doesn't taste the same as our junk, so i just bought some apples.

Is that the Idea of Aldi's?, Loads of cheap German stuff?

If you shop with the riff raff Mike there is no supply shortages in Shoprite, Co-op or Tesco's........

It sells rip-offs of popular brands/products. They have Titan bars, which are basically Mars bars, same wrappers, same font style but taste like poo. The meat, oh god the meat looks hideous. You wouldn't buy that and eat it unless there was something wrong with you or you were seriously impoverished. My mate used to spend most of his money as soon as he got it but managed to feed himself for a week on £5 in Aldi. I think he may even be still alive. Which is amazing, frankly.

Ay - ALDI is one of the biggest German supermarket chains (if not the biggest by now). Most stuff they sell is made by companies that usually sell heavily branded stuff, i.e. Nestle, Kraft, etc - it just doesn't say that on the tin/wrapper. They're cheap and used to employ the checkout girls after how quick they can type the prices in. Another useless piece of information: ALDI stands for ALbrecht DIscount and was founded by the Albrecht brothers (Theo and Karl), two of the richest Germans with two-digit billion bank accounts each - cheap pays, it seems....

hey Hey shadows of Shoprite. I worked there for a while nthe late 70's. the checkout staff had to learn all the prices, every month they ran a sample shopping trolley, it had to be put through within a set time and the prices had to be right otherwise you couldn't do the till.

Better than the souless druggery witnessed nowadays with teenagers scanning your shopping with as much interest in the job as a DoT roadman.

Archived