Norman Wisdom In Island Nursing Home

Albert Tatlock

it seems a shame that if he has to go into a home, his family have picked the other side of the island. i would assume that most of his local mates would live in the north and therefore a ramsey home would have been more appropriate for local visitors who perhaps cannot drive.

Surely with the money he has he could have afforded to have round the clock care in his own home, which, from the Examiner this week it would appear that he wanted to. Not family members, but paid nursing care. Quote in the Examiner article (not word for word) from his son, "a friend visited him in the home just after he arrived and it unsettled him so much that he had his bags packed ready to go home".

I think the family appear to be hoping that his illness will affect his memory and that once he has been at the home for long enough without seeing people that remind him of his home, he'll forget that he ever had a home and stay in Abbottswood. That of course will put their minds at rest when they're living in Sussex!! They won't have to do anything because there'll be others doing it.

Read the article in the Examiner, the son tries to come over all reasonable but by the time you've finished you'll wonder.

Poor Norman, and poor all old people that want to live out their lives in their own homes but get pushed into nursing care "for their own benefit". Shame.

The News of the World has a video of him singing and playing the piano in his new abode. He looks pretty happy to me!

Sir Norman Wisdom 'at home'

It would be bad enough having to play Bingo and wear an Easter bonnet once a year but if they're going to have resident comedians as well I'm all for staying out of homes.

Anyone want to start a commune for the over 70s?

Click on the video link and take a look at the other video clips on offer by the News of the World website.

"Undercover reporter takes us inside hooker's bedroom"

"Air hostess Debra is exposed as £120 per hour vice girl"

"Woman seen leaving the Duke of Westminster's home"

"FARIAH FILES: Fariah undressing for undercover reporter"

"FARIAH FILES: Fariah accepts £8,000 cash for night with undercover reporter"

"FARIAH FILES: Our reporter makes his excuses and leaves"

I would be able to take the item as being informative and not misleading in any way if they had chosen to at least allow Sir Norman a few words in an interview.

Whoever has commissioned the newspaper to produce the video should beware that using such media can turn out to be a double edged sword.

The family say they didn't want him to see friends until he was settled into his nursing home routine, but then choose to invite a news of the world reporter to visit him, and report for the entire world to see.

I don't know the rights and wrongs of this whole matter, but I kinda hope my own family wouldn't let the tabloid press loose on me when I'm 92 and suffering alzheimer's.

Sir Norms a national treasure, long may be trip up and play dead to get laugh's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived