Manx Currency

Deejay Denzel

Use of Manx notes gives the IOM government about £20 per person per year to spend on services for us. If we none of us used non manx notes it would be about £30 per person.

USE MANX NOTES

I would spend the annual cash on:

a belly full of lager. With a kebab.

The cash machines at both the Sea Terminal and the Airport dispense UK Currency, so it shouldn't be a problem for anyone to get UK cash before they leave the Island. I will often have Manx money in my wallet when I go away, it's still there when I get back.

There is about £30 million of manx currency in circulation.

For every manx pound issued the government has to have a british pound in the bank, where it earns interest. Last year that amounted to £1.5 million.

As some notes and coins are never going to be redeemed, they are lost destroyed or held by collectors there is a surplus in the account anyway and on top of this, in effect, the use of a manx note or coin is an interest free loan to our government, whereas the use of an english note or coin is an interest free loan to the bank of england and the use of scots and nothern irish notes an interest free loan to the issuing banks.

Use of Manx notes gives the IOM government about £20 per person per year to spend on services for us. If we none of us used non manx notes it would be about £30 per person.

USE MANX NOTES

Well said John. I recall at a CoC event Alan Bell saying just the same.

I have always found the steam packet and the airport shops to be very helpful in giving english currency change when you ask for it.

I wish our Government would bring back the plastic notes as a gymic! OZ have plastic notes now, presumably so when you get get attacked by a shark or a crock your money stayes intact.

Last year when I worked in the local Spar shop, I openly accepted Manx coins lol, though never got offered notes........ the boss knew it was me accepting them and never bothered, he just bagged them upa nd banked them! We used to get loads just after TT week and I am about 50 miles from either of the Uk/IOM ferry ports.

No matter how much Manx money I bring with me each time - I find it's usually spent once I get off the boat - usually on a breakfast.

A secret tip - if you find yourself stuck with a couple of Manx notes on the boat - pop to each of the shops onboard and buy something releatively cheap like a pack of sweets or a newspaper and get the change! Don't tell everyone though!

I tried everywhere in Liverpool within walking distance of town and by recommendation. Not one place would change it.

It cost me £20 in wasted time walking around Liverpool so that back from having Manx money per person doesn't bother me. Yes I was ill-prepared but so was the trip, very last minute.

I remember on a skiing holiday a friend of ours had brought manx money, so changed it to English in the airport and was charged an exchange rate of 1.01. I.e £100 english cost him £101 manx!

I remember on a skiing holiday a friend of ours had brought manx money, so changed it to English in the airport and was charged an exchange rate of 1.01. I.e £100 english cost him £101 manx!

Sounds like they charged commission to change the money rather than a different exchange rate.

Archived