Old Castletown Road, Pissups And Breweries

Silentbob

So we get a letter to say that the Old Castletown Road is to be closed all this week, does it say where it will be closed? No. So I phone up the site manager to get clarification "On Oak hill" ok then.

So then Monday comes and the road gets closed, they put up a diversion running down Ballavear hill, round marine drive and back on the Old Castletown Road at the bottom of Oak Hill, fair enough.

But forget to put up any forewarning of this diversion at either end of the road (Blackboards and White Hoe) so now we have the usual traffic being sent down a C road which narrows to pretty much single track at one point, and no central road markings.....great

Add that the hedges are overgrown....brilliant.

By the end of day one, there are 2 sets of nice fresh skid marks, and a section of hedge is nice and flat.

I call the DoT, and get transferred, and transferred again.

"Any chance of someone down to cut the hedges back on the diversion route, and maybe some extra signs up forewarning motorists that a diversion is in place?"

Nothing happens.

Day two, still nothing, so I call the Police

"Can you guys call up the DoT and get them to get their skates on before there is an accident?"

Day 3, and after asking for a warning sign, they have put one in place......1 mile INTO the Old Castletown Road PAST the junction at White Hoe...so this is good, the motorist has already put himself on the road, THEN gets warned that the route is diverted...maybe if he/she had known this BEFORE the junction they might have taken another route.

Day 3 also sees someone has caught the hedge, and ripped out a big lump of Ivy, which is now stuck out into the already narrow road, right at wing mirror/windscreen breaking height.

My sister was held up for 10 minutes today while a HGV tried to navigate the railway bridge, stopping, getting out, scratching his head, getting back in, moving 2 feet, getting out and checking again.

Hats off to the DoT, and Dandara, you win this week’s Pissups and Breweries competition.

(Edited because Last Ten is a pedantic tit)

I can just picture a reply from Dandara and the DOT after reading this post!

Dear Silentbob, when you have come to grips with English literature and spelling then you may be in a better position to complain!

Last 10

In the Isle of Man when asking someone in authority, especially our beloved all knowing and all powerful civil servants, there is an art to getting things done.

Never suggest that something needs doing. Irrespective of how much experience, qualifications or simple common sense you have on a matter. It simply won't get done.

"We don't like like change and we don't like people telling us what to do" should be the Isle of Man motto.

You have to talk to the little darlings in such a way that they start to tell you what needs doing and then start to believe that indeed the solution to a problem came from them in the first place and it was actually their idea and not yours.

Typical DoT really.

The one that always bugs me is the positioning of the road closed sign on the Douglas side of the mountain road.

Cleverly positioned after drivers have the opportunity to turn right towards Onchan at Signpost or Hillberry. Just buy two damn signs and position them before the 2 junctions to prevent everyone having to perform u-turns once they realise the road is closed

It is so they can run a fibre out from the Old Castletown Road to the Animal Waste, which is behind the incinerator (Which I would have thought would have been easier to run the link from as they must already have comms installed there).

It was deemed against H&S to have them working there with the road open, so I don’t mind about that. It is just the half arsed way it has been carried out.

Day 4 evening, and they finally get some diversion ahead signs in the right place (White Hoe)

Day 5 Afternoon, the finally cut back the hedges on the Ballavear Hill (now about 5 seperate sets of skidmarks on the hill)

And finally, approx 16 hours after they get round to cutting back the hedges, the road is open again.... \o/

So to recap, road closed on Monday at 09:30

Complaint made about signage/hedges Monday at 15:00

Correct signage Deployed on Thursday 19:00

Hedges cut back Friday 14:00-16:00 ish

Road re-opened Saturday 10:00

Archived