Manx Grand Prix

ccm

On the front page of the Examiner the MGP is worth £9m to the IOM but I'm sure I read someone from tourism say that it COSTS the GOVT to put it on. So are taxpayers funding it and private businesses raking profits from it?

Me confused?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first time I have ever seen any monetary figure for a major motor events released - to bring things into context if the Island has say 100,000 sheep+ lambs at current market value of £45/lamb (figure defived from data issued at Royal Welsh show) then the MGP which was about to be stopped for F&M is in itself worth at least twice all the Island sheep when sold .

Now if we could get some realistic costs imposed for the events maybe there could be a rational discussion about road closures etc.

It's priceless!

One of the few things that makes life worthwhile and gives the Island a profile within a sport. Also good for classic and vintage events which bring some life to the place.

It's not all about tourism, it's good for the residents and brings a lot of people together for various reasons.

I often wonder what the island would be like without the various annual events, would we come up with anything even half as effective at pulling people together for enjoyable reasons throughout the year? There seems to be a year round social network that builds up around all of the events which are organised on the the island, and particularly the motorsport ones.

It's priceless!

One of the few things that makes life worthwhile and gives the Island a profile within a sport. Also good for classic and vintage events which bring some life to the place.

It's not all about tourism, it's good for the residents and brings a lot of people together for various reasons.

I often wonder what the island would be like without the various annual events, would we come up with anything even half as effective at pulling people together for enjoyable reasons throughout the year? There seems to be a year round social network that builds up around all of the events which are organised on the the island, and particularly the motorsport ones.

I second that! thats two people i have agreed with today.

This is the first time I have ever seen any monetary figure for a major motor events released - to bring things into context if the Island has say 100,000 sheep+ lambs at current market value of £45/lamb (figure defived from data issued at Royal Welsh show) then the MGP which was about to be stopped for F&M is in itself worth at least twice all the Island sheep when sold .

Now if we could get some realistic costs imposed for the events maybe there could be a rational discussion about road closures etc.

Nice economics there.. assuming that the deadweight lamb price is indicative of the value of the whole of the IoM livestock market. Also assuming that FMD would have no other adverse effects (economic or otherwise) is pretty negligent.. I remember you saying that the value of tourism also outvalues the agricultural one - but it'd be pretty naive to believe that funeral pyres wouldn't severely impact that industry either.

I know you're on a tyrade but not many things on the island are mutually exclusive as such. (The MGP might not be 'profitable', in which case that value figure could be irrelevant, but who cares - agriculture most likely isn't a net 'profit' either).

And it's even priceless when it's wet!

Talking of wet is it on tonight (Saturday)?

Anyone know?

LT

No it isn't its been cancelled.

I know you're on a tyrade but not many things on the island are mutually exclusive as such. (The MGP might not be 'profitable', in which case that value figure could be irrelevant, but who cares - agriculture most likely isn't a net 'profit' either).

First of all it is very unlikely that all animals need to burnt in open fields (which by the way is probably illegal - it is under EU directives) - second vacination would according to figures reduce the value of the lambs at slaughter but if there was an outbreak could probably provide a firebreak .

Yes I appreciate that it is current farming practice that provides the attractive landscape but even here there have been many changes - more gorse etc taking over unprofitable upperland but closing paths, adventure centres etc is in my opinion totally out of proportion (and also contary to what happened in the UK except for a very small area around the outbreak (& even here some of the paths were closed after newspaper 'scaremongering') - why for example are Island paths still closed, are the open-air adventure holiday centres re-open yet ?

on the animal side you do not take into account cattle and pigs, or the lack of milk from cows.

I don't know how many pigs but guess around 4,000 or less - maybe 20,000 cattle - however cattle are not often kept in fields with footpaths running thru them and I've never seen a pig in such a field - though sheep & cows may be in the same field it is not that usual and I presume the owner would check before moving them.

As commented in another post for some farmers having a footpath running thro the land is unwelcome and this is a good excuse to close it now they have their tame minister.

It's priceless!

I second that! thats two people i have agreed with today.

I third that, just as enjoyable as the TT, slightly more interesting mix of bikes, (the sounds and smell of two strokes) not quite as hard to find a good watching spot, and a great atmosphere, priceless.

I haven't noticed many bikers for the Grand Prix yet. Could it be the numbers will be down due to the amount of people who attended the T.T?

Archived