Manx Grand Prix

ccm

Are you seriously accusing the senior Police of treating the death of 3 people as a mere cynical attempt to kill off the TT and MGP ? - The police were withdrawn two years ago as the Chief Constable said he could not accept responsibility for safety with the resources he was given - he may well have been informed that had he continued to supply officers both he (& the IoM police) may well have been held legally responsible for the 1% of competitor deaths each year + any spectator/marshall casualties.

I suspect the really worried people must be the car rally organisers as they appear really pushed to provide sufficient marshalls for the simultaneous road closures they go in for - the indication that the police would go for criminal manslaughter charges in the event of any serious accident arising from poor marshalling decisions must provide for some serious considerations.

If a manslaughter charge could be brought against marshals or officials at the TT/MGP it surely follows that member(s) of the IOM Constabulary could be similarly charged following any open roads fatalities. Both parties are equally responsible for road safety in their particular circumstances.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a manslaughter charge could be brought against marshals or officials at the TT/MGP it surely follows that member(s) of the IOM Constabulary could be similarly charged following any open roads fatalities. Both parties are equally responsible for road safety in their particular circumstances.

too many petrol fumes near the head? - if an 'accident' happened because of negligence on the part of the road maintainer then that body can be sued (eg wealth of claims in UK re badly maintained footpaths) - if spectators are killed/injured because they were allowed into areas that on reasonable health and safety grounds should have been considered out of bounds then the organisers are responsible in same way as also those who oversee the marshalling if the rules were not followed. If the police were to have responsibility then as the chief constable said he needed many more men.

too many petrol fumes near the head? - if an 'accident' happened because of negligence on the part of the road maintainer then that body can be sued (eg wealth of claims in UK re badly maintained footpaths) - if spectators are killed/injured because they were allowed into areas that on reasonable health and safety grounds should have been considered out of bounds then the organisers are responsible in same way as also those who oversee the marshalling if the rules were not followed. If the police were to have responsibility then as the chief constable said he needed many more men.

I see. So you are saying that the police are not responsible for law enforcement on public roads.

The police are responsible for law enforcement anywhere - however some regulations may only apply to closed roads and as you are probably aware a marshall may request the assistance of the police if a regulation is being broken (eg a vehicle moving onto a closed road) - however safety at events is mainly the concern of the organisers but if laws are being flouted then the police could act (eg if something goes ahead after health & safety said no) - in previous years there was some form of unofficial support by the police of the TT & MGP which had developed over the years probably without anyone considering the legal implications

There are serious implications here for the organisers of all sport held on public roads then!

The Parish Walk, local cycling, running races, tin bath races, car hill climbs, cycling proficiency tests, advanced driving courses etc. etc.

Passers by, motorists, spectators and competitors all run the risk of injury and/or prosecution. Who gets arrested if a competitor on the parish walk causes a vehicle to swerve killing a cyclist for example? The guy at the previous checkpoint for allowing him to continue in a fatigued state into the dark where there are bends in the road??

No..the marshals are an easy target and quite a fragile organisation, but without them more than any other group there is no racing. You will not convince me otherwise, this was a deliberate attempt to undermine racing on the TT circuit from within!

The Marshals and the true Manx public should unite and not be threatened by the plotters within our midst!

Have you got any contact details for these plotters? I'm sick of these road closures and I'd like to lend them my support.

Well, I know you are joking, but there are informal groups of people who make it their business to make life difficult for the organisers. It's a small step to become an organised group!

Call me paranoid.....

I'm not joking, I really am sick of the road closures. There's a parcel waiting for me in Snugborough, the note for it is at my Mum's. I don't think I'll be able to get it until next week unless I take time off work because of the road closures. Bank holiday on Monday, great I'll spend the day clearing out the garage and going to the skip. Oh no, roads closed. Again.

TT is bad enough, but people have a good time in general. MGP is just a pure annoyance. Well past it's sell by date.

I'm not joking, I really am sick of the road closures. There's a parcel waiting for me in Snugborough, the note for it is at my Mum's. I don't think I'll be able to get it until next week unless I take time off work because of the road closures. Bank holiday on Monday, great I'll spend the day clearing out the garage and going to the skip. Oh no, roads closed. Again.

TT is bad enough, but people have a good time in general. MGP is just a pure annoyance. Well past it's sell by date.

Sorry but it has to be done...

There is a boat in the morning !

That's the problem. It keeps bringing bloody bikers over to clog up our roads, instead of the numerous purpose built and relatively safe racing tracks in the UK.

The Isle of Man is famous for closed road racing, be it 2 or 4 wheels, that’s one of the few real things we have left that is special.

I can’t understand why people live here who don’t like best thing the Island has to offer.

Unless your over 80 years old I'm afraid I haven't got much sympathy. The MGP has been going for at least that long so I'm afraid my view is you have to accept it.

Even if you do feel inconvenienced by waiting for your package is it in fact life threatening. If not then stop getting so wound up, relax, take life a little easier.

Remember life happens today - tomorrow is always just a hope.

I live here, and love doing so because of the best thing the island offers, which is the countryside and scenery, and quick easy access to it.

I can't understand why people live here who think the best thing the island has to offer is only available 4 weeks of the year. Are you going to move when the races get stopped?

Your right its not the best think the island has.

By far the most important element of island life is the culture, safe environment and the pace of life - which incompases a lack of real interest in whether or not a few roads are closed off occassionally to facilitate a sporting event.

Your right its not the best think the island has.

By far the most important element of island life is the culture, safe environment and the pace of life - which incompases a lack of real interest in whether or not a few roads are closed off occassionally to facilitate a sporting event.

whoops hit the button twice. I must be sucumbing to the the dilution of manx culture and getting impatient. There'll be hairs on the palms of my hands next..............

Archived