[BBC News] Record year for A-level results

Newsbot

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The island's A-level pass rate was 96.1%

Obviously exams are getting too bloody easy

Is that sarcasm on the off chance that someone will agree with you?

Every year is a record year isn't it? Well it is for as long as I can remember anyway...

Yep just proves that most people are serious about there exams.

Too much emphasis on multi guess exams where 2 options are ridiculously wrong leaving you with the correct answer and the wrong answer, what happened to "just answer the question"

Excuse me, but apart from general studies (which doesn't really count towards a lot of uni's) not one of my questions in my exams was a multi-choice question. They all required at LEAST a paragraph worth of writing and all exams had very hard essays in them.

The island's A-level pass rate was 96.1%

Obviously exams are getting too bloody easy

A-levels are obviously getting easier - because every year the pass rate rises and there are even more A grades. In my day, taking three A Levels was considered difficult enough. If you took four A Levels you were a real brainiac. You weren't allowed to study more than four - so for so many people to get six today - either people these days are working twice as hard or the standard has dropped (obviously the latter - given my experience often working with new employees - who often need major support in writing reports and even doing basic financial mathematics). Also - anything below a C grade wasn't considered a pass in my day, so this 96.1% pass rate says nothing, other than reflect the attitude towards 'targets, targets targets' that IMO pollutes the education system today. People are also generally choosing the easy life these days, with fewer students studying mathematics, science and languages - opting for e.g. PE and media studies etc.

The A Level system is so bad, universities and employers cannot distinguish between candidates anymore which is why there is a proposal to introduce A* grades.

Also the system is not fair to students, as it does not differentiate between those that do study hard and those that do 'enough work' i.e. if you work hard it is fairly irrelevant because 25% of your classmates will get an A Grade too, which is highly likely to affect your chance of getting the job or university place you deserve perhaps above someone else in your class.

Annual rant over...I shall save this post for next year again.

Also - anything below a C grade wasn't considered a pass in my day

When was that? I always thought anything from A to E was a pass in A levels (as opposed to A to C in O levels). You got a U if you failed.

I can't believe the workrate or innate excellence of the students is increasing every single year. There must be grade inflation.

In my day the pass mark was adjusted each year to take account of the difficulty by plotting the marks achieved by all students and then looking for a median point. The current system is a joke as it does not differentiate between the clever and the not so clever.

[Hastily adds disclaimer to avoid upsetting all those who did try really hard this year.]

Archived