Is Flogging Good Enough?

Grianane

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Battle Royale. That's all I'm saying.

It'd make a better front page headline than some old woman having burned her toast down in Port Erin on a Saturday afternoon.

I think South Barrule and the surrounding hills/scrub would be a good place.

I doubt anyone would really be surprised either, "Good ol' Isle of Man and it's customs. You know they only abolished hanging last week and they hold their parliament on a hill, under a tent if it rains. They're all alcoholics too."

Aye but the Calf would add a greater sense of realism.

Too small though really, no trees to hide in and ambush people, or just hide in! But, from a gladiatorial perspetive, I can see it's advantages, you could do a group every few hours then. But if we're going down that route, why not just chuck them in the bowl? It would keep the birds out of harms way because I bet the bird people would be the first to kick up a fuss if the nesting birds were disturbed. Also, you wouldn't be too afraid to walk your dog on South Barrule.

Shoprite could supply the bags of....supplies. Think local and all that, it'd be great for the economy! Less potential future scroungers and the rest would be grateful to be alive so would happily take a bar job, meaning all the Polish workers could go home. It's win, win every way you look at it!

Problem solved! Next.

Just a minute yes flogging is too good for them, why should these little scroats get it for free when my mate Ian has to buy big Mary 7 pints of Guinness an 2 large doners before she will flog him :thumbsup:

I assume your're talking about putting delinquent kids on the "Calf "in some kind of secure accomodation?

Great idea!,

I've actually stayed on the Calf for various periods of up to 3 wks, (living in the lighthouse keepers accomodation)whilst on a work contract , I would not wish it on my worst enemy! , especially in winter ,there is nothing to do except count rabbits! ,watch seagulls and various birds of prey attempt to kill rabbits! and go for walks on the 1mile square rock.

The location is perfect, with strong tidal currents surrounding it. Pretty much escape proof?(think Papillion)

Also you could also have the added boost to the manx tourist industry, of coachloads of tourists(from the "hang em and flog em" brigade) being bussed to the Sound Cafe, where they could eat their salmon and cucumber sandwiches and drink tea in comfort ,as they watch the delinquents drown whilst attempting swim across the "Sound " to escape from the rock.

A bit more interesting than watching basking sharks don't you think?

I assume your're talking about putting delinquent kids on the "Calf "in some kind of secure accomodation?

Great idea!,

Erm, not quite....the kids get shipped to the Calf, given some "survival packs" (GPS, water, weapons). They then have 24hrs to kill each other in a "last man standing" battle. During the 24hrs, areas of the island get closed off every hr and everything within the closed zone dies! It's a great idea. The weapons are pretty cool too but I wouldn't want to be the kid left with the baseball bat when everyone else has guns/cross bows/grenades....

Battle Royale. Watch it. But only the Japanese version, the American one sucks hairy ass.

• 2 weeks later...

The swings are now back in place in the Corrie Park, and the vandals have clearly taken a shot at them already, because the fresh red paint on the top-bars is scuffed and scarred, (which is what would happen if you swung the swings right around the bars, and that's what used to break them), and if you look at the chains that hold the swings in place, they have flecks of red paint on them.

The good news is that the new swings seem to be somewhat tougher than the old ones, and to date, all four of the baby-swings are all still 100% functional.

It's a sorry state of affairs when Ramsey's Commissioners have to take direct action against thugs who are prepared to vandalise aspects of the parks that are put in place specifically for the under fives, but since when did the current generation of illegitimate, illiterate, and intolerable little wankers have anything remotely resembling a degree of respect for their fellow man, woman, or child?

I hope Ramsey's Commissioners keep up the fight against the arseholes, because the parks we have in this beautiful little town are truly wonderful - we were down the Mooragh park this afternoon and it was gorgeous, so many children with their parents, all so happy, running and around and playing on the best-of-the-best in terms of play equipment.

It's the kind of scene that makes you happy to pay your taxes and your rates, because you can see what it's being spent on.

I can only assume that the little yobs who make the decision to vandalise and destroy such facilities are too young to realise what it is they're actually doing.

If they know who the vandals are why don't they impose general curfews and/or specific exclusion orders in respect of the park?

I don't know whether curfews are part of the legal system in the Isle of Man. However, exclusion orders might just serve to push the problem somewhere else. I friend of mine works in Lancashire managing reservoirs. A persistent problem he deals with is vandalism. The problem is the ASBO. Youths get banned from certain areas. So, they get in the car, drive to the countryside and go round wrecking bothies and the like.

Just out of interest, Chopsticks, why do you think CCTV does not solve this problem?

When I spoke to guy at the Commissioners he said the vandals would almost certainly be too young to be prosecuted and/or there wouldn't be the inclination to do so anyway.

There are some proper scrotes hang around in the Corrie park, there was broken glass all around the roundabout yesterday, now considering that the park is all grass or that bouncy tarmac stuff, it would be a genuine and deliberate effort to actually manage to break a bottle, but the scrotes had done exactly that, apparently not caring that they'd left multiple injuries just waiting to happen behind them.

As I understand it the park is locked at night, but the fences are very low so it'd be very easy to get in there if you wished to do so.

Just out of interest, Chopsticks, why do you think CCTV does not solve this problem?

When I spoke to guy at the Commissioners he said the vandals would almost certainly be too young to be prosecuted and/or there wouldn't be the inclination to do so anyway.

There are some proper scrotes hang around in the Corrie park, there was broken glass all around the roundabout yesterday, now considering that the park is all grass or that bouncy tarmac stuff, it would be a genuine and deliberate effort to actually manage to break a bottle, but the scrotes had done exactly that, apparently not caring that they'd left multiple injuries just waiting to happen behind them.

As I understand it the park is locked at night, but the fences are very low so it'd be very easy to get in there if you wished to do so.

Cases like this always go to the youth justice team (or juvenile justice team) who will decide whether there is any benefit in prosecution, or what alternative action might be taken (a caution) if any.

The problem is of course the rights of the child. They are very much seen as victims - of a failure by their parents to be interested in what they do, of education which has failed to teach them acceptab;e values and about citizenship, of society which sees them as yobs and ignores their behavioural pleas for help, and as being deprived of the sort of opportunities children in balanced and responsible families might get.

Symptomatic of this is the way in which these type of children are provided with one to one trips with youth and outreach workers (Mobex) for personal tuition (because they're excluded from school and therefore deing denied an education) and taken to things like the high ropes course at Ard Whallen, canoeing, steaming (rock jumping etc, hiking when other kids are at school. In Ramsey there's even a seperate youth club for kids like this who doen't want to go to the organised Dept Ed youthie, in their own space they are almost left to run feral creating a hub of anti-social activity and a breeding ground for it. In some cases DHSS/education actually pay for family holidays so that these kids can get a taste of normal life - if thats what you call watching your parents get sh*t faced in Spain rather than the IOM.

Ironically all these opportunities are directed purely at the realively low number of yobs by organisations and charities who seem to be making a business out of providing the pandered services which government seems hell bent on providing to these "disadvantaged youngsters" which is overresourced and is actual overly compensating to the extent that you wonder whether some children behave badly just for the pleasure of getting the extra attention they get when they are excluded.

Again its back to the parents - make them responsible. Make them account for the actions and movements of their children. If a yob is picked up and the parents are in the pub ban the parents from buying or being supplied with alcohol, curfew them with their kids so they have to spend time together.

We need to start to recognise that yob behaviour is just that, it is anti-social, unlawful and unacceptable, and should always be reported immediately to the police who should immediately and harshly respond.

Archived