[BBC News] Motorists ignoring safety warning

Newsbot

"I could not have been more public about the use of these cars - they even appeared on television last week," he said.

Here's one of them, on public display at the Motor Meet the other day:

focuslv6.jpg

Hooray!, Least there catching some of the idiots, Glad its working!

Was overtoook by a ford fiesta on the mountain the other day in rain/fog at around 60 to 70 mph, Driving to the conditions doesn't seem to mean anything. <_<

I'm a bit baffled by this. The whole point of having 'undercover' cars is to be able to go around catching people behaving as if they don't think they're being watched by police.

I can understand them wanting to get the message across that there are undercover cars out there; it should be a good deterrant. Being dismayed about the number of offences committed is fair enough, but why put the cars on TV and then get annoyed that people didn't recognise them? If you want them to recognise the cars, put a big flashing light on top. That usually does the trick.

I fail to see how the head of IOM road policing can be dismayed at the number of bad drivers caught out by his undercover cars.

Has he never driven around the Island in his own car ?

Yes but he's too busy chatting on the phone to notice whats going on around him :P

Btw people ---- there have always been undercover cars. The only reason they are making it sound like its a new thing is to get people to slow down ---- that's why they are quite happy to show you what they look like ---- from a distance either in front or behind quite a few cars could look like this one so it gets people to slow down 'just in case'

Aye...there's probably at least 300 cars on the island that look 'similar'.

Btw people ---- there have always been undercover cars. The only reason they are making it sound like its a new thing is to get people to slow down ---- that's why they are quite happy to show you what they look like ---- from a distance either in front or behind quite a few cars could look like this one so it gets people to slow down 'just in case'

I think its code named "Operation pretend that you're doing something about road safety" as you fail to see a police car for the rest of the year unless you regularly visit the Terrace Chippy.

The driving on the Island's roads is absolutely atrocious and this sort of operation will make no difference. You'll get a few on the spot fines issued and they'll be back to no police presence in a few weeks time and the piss poor driving goes on for another couple of years.

Its all piss and wind

I saw the blue one on Finch Road the other week, having flagged down a motorist. Obvious it was the police, the flashing lights in the rear fog lights gave it away.

Rather than spend money on cars and roving teams, all they need to do it put a policeman on point duty at the roundabout outside Douglas Police Station at peak times (they could take a mug of coffee with them) and pull a few over there!

it is a joke isn't it.

How many people do you see on the mobile phone in their car every day. The fact is the chances of being caught are so slim no one seems to bother.

The ones that really annoy me are the idiots who just HAVE to immediately stop when their phone rings. I just wish my life was as important as theirs to have to answer every call straight away.

"What's that love? Pint of milk, a wholegrain loaf and some onions? Ok no bother I'll get them later. Why are those car horns sounding? I have no idea love, can't be anything to do with me as I've stopped."

Archived