[BBC News] Filipino ambassador set to visit

Newsbot

The Isle of Man is set for a two-day visit from the Filipino ambassador.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/6954765.stm

Why?

Probably because half his population are working on the Island at the mo , and it will be the only chance he gets to see them?

The Philippines have a population of about 75 million - more than the UK. There are about 1,000 of them on the island, doing jobs that locals are either unqualified or too idle to do.

Getting a visit from an actual ambassador, rather than a consul-general, is actually quite a big thing for the IOM, I think

There are about 1,000 of them on the island, doing jobs that locals are either unqualified or too idle to do.

I think actually that's bollocks. There is full employment here so how can locals be too idle to do the jobs? Locals are not sat around on their arses doing nothing - there is full employment all the locals are in work aren't they?

There are about 1,000 of them on the island, doing jobs that locals are either unqualified or too idle to do.

I think actually that's bollocks. There is full employment here so how can locals be too idle to do the jobs? Locals are not sat around on their arses doing nothing - there is full employment all the locals are in work aren't they?

Qualify that - all the locals who want or need to work are employed arn't they.

Not classed as "need to work" are those who make a tidy living fiddling the benefit, selling coke and generallly scrounging of the state and being supporrted by taxpayers. there are a couple of notable ones in Ramsey and Douglas who spend their entire life walking round with cans in their hands and creeping into pubs at 10am to get p*ssed every day of the week.

If everyone whose getting benefit had to make a real effort to get a proper job then you'd be right, but alas.....

Ambassador Espiritu is heavily involved in lobbying against the UK home office position that overseas senior care workers will no longer have permits renewed as a matter of policy. There are around 150,000 Filipinos in the UK, and a lot of them that live in the UK and on the island are carers.

See Clicky

The Home Office has held secret talks with one the UK’s biggest care providers, informing them that their overseas Senior Carer Work Permits will not be renewed.

The employer, which owns over 500 Care Homes all over the UK employing more than 40,000 people, told affected staff (holding less than a five year Work Permit) that when their Work Permits expire they will be “dismissed from the company and will have to make arrangements to leave the country”.

It looks like all this is a result of qualified Poles, Bulgarians and Romanians being able to settle in the UK - and simply replacing one set of immigrants with another, with the poor old Filipinos being told: 'thanks for all your previous help - now you can s*d off back to where you came from! because we have found equally low pay earners with a right to settle here'. The UK Home Office don't seem to be making all of this public at present, but it will affect an awful lot of Filipinos, spouses and children who have settled here.

The Phillipines has a population of around 95 million - can you imagine the economic and NHS chaos in the UK if e.g. 30,000 carers who had, say gone to Canada and Australia etc. had to return to the UK? In that event I think the UK would be sending out all of its top ministers and ambassadors.

See Clicky

The Home Office has held secret talks with one the UK’s biggest care providers, informing them that their overseas Senior Carer Work Permits will not be renewed.

The employer, which owns over 500 Care Homes all over the UK employing more than 40,000 people, told affected staff (holding less than a five year Work Permit) that when their Work Permits expire they will be “dismissed from the company and will have to make arrangements to leave the country”.

Thanks Albert. As I said there are official reasons and unofficial reasons for these sort of visits. It also comes at a time when we are asking for comments on the work permit system as well.

I still think "Why?" is a valid question.

The Philippines have a population of about 75 million - more than the UK. There are about 1,000 of them on the island, doing jobs that locals are either unqualified or too idle to do.

Getting a visit from an actual ambassador, rather than a consul-general, is actually quite a big thing for the IOM, I think

What qualifications do you need to change a bed?

What qualifications do you need to change a bed?

Why, are you worried that you might not be good enough to get the job?

I'll have you know , I have a degree in media studies!

Archived