360 Elite

3v0

So who's getting one of these then? Price has dropped to £300 on amazon and as low as £270 on some other sites! Quite like the fact it has an extra hundred "gigawatts" and a quantum discombobulator (HDMI Lead).

So who's getting one of these then? Price has dropped to £300 on amazon and as low as £270 on some other sites! Quite like the fact it has an extra hundred "gigawatts" and a quantum discombobulator (HDMI Lead).

Was tempted, and if they were quieter I'd grab one, but as it is I'll probably wait for the 65 micron ones.

Was tempted, and if they were quieter I'd grab one, but as it is I'll probably wait for the 65 micron ones.

Me also.

but as it is I'll probably wait for the 65 micron ones.

Why? Genuine question, I'm not going to come back and beat you down with your reply.

So what's the deal with the Elite then? Bigger HDD, HDMI, I'm assuming it won't suffer the 'red ring of death' fate like older 360s but why choose this instead of a Premium? Can it do wifi without plugging extra bits in to it?

Why? Genuine question, I'm not going to come back and beat you down with your reply.

Smaller fabrications at the same speed means less heat, less heat means less fans, so it'll be quieter and probably smaller too. Like the difference between the original big noisy lump ps2 and the nice new slimline one:

playstation-2-slim.jpg

So what's the deal with the Elite then? Bigger HDD, HDMI, I'm assuming it won't suffer the 'red ring of death' fate like older 360s but why choose this instead of a Premium? Can it do wifi without plugging extra bits in to it?

It's no better/wores than the current batch of premiums on the reliability issue, and the new premiums have hdmi too. So what you're getting over a premium (for 50 quid) is a sexy black case, black controllers, a 120gb hard disk. Given the hard disk is 120 quid on it's own, (60 quid more than the 20gb hdd in the premium) it's pretty good value. I'd have preferred to see the premium with the hd dvd included as standard, but there you go.

Smaller fabrications at the same speed means less heat, less heat means less fans, so it'll be quieter and probably smaller too. Like the difference between the original big noisy lump ps2 and the nice new slimline one:

It's no better/wores than the current batch of premiums on the reliability issue, and the new premiums have hdmi too. So what you're getting over a premium (for 50 quid) is a sexy black case, black controllers, a 120gb hard disk. Given the hard disk is 120 quid on it's own, (60 quid more than the 20gb hdd in the premium) it's pretty good value. I'd have preferred to see the premium with the hd dvd included as standard, but there you go.

Fair enough, it is a bit beasty size wise so smaller would be better.

£120 for the HDD!? Shocking. I take it you can't just chuck any old drive in there then? From that point of view it would seem better value. Do you actually need 120gb though? Can you store stuff (movies/music) on your PC and play it through the 360? What was that thing you lot were downloading the other day, how big was it and how long did it take? Do you think downloading full games will take off? So many questions!

Also, it's still not wifi. I wouldn't be keen on spending £300 on a supposedly 'Elite' console that I still have to plug a £70 adapter in to. Especially as they don't appear to have made any black adapters yet....

I am interested in getting an xbox because of the game selection and online play, for an extra £50 the elite does seem like good value compared to Core and Premium but I'm still not convinced. The list of extras required is a pain too, rechargeable battery pack, network adapter, 2nd controller, Live subscription....so it would in fact cost me more than a PS3, and that's without the hd dvd drive. The fact it's black may be enough to persuade me though. Hmmm, I shall have to think long and hard and not go any where near any game selling shops in the days immediately after payday because I'm a marketing mans wet dream as far as impulse buys go.

Also, it's still not wifi. I wouldn't be keen on spending £300 on a supposedly 'Elite' console that I still have to plug a £70 adapter in to. Especially as they don't appear to have made any black adapters yet....

you can use any wireless bridge, i have netgear ones that as it happens are black. as to the hd bit, i think the 'normal' 360 is not full hd, sort of 75% hd, it does 700 plus lines and not 1080.

you can use any wireless bridge, i have netgear ones that as it happens are black. as to the hd bit, i think the 'normal' 360 is not full hd, sort of 75% hd, it does 700 plus lines and not 1080.

Really? Hmmm.....

I don't understand, are you saying the Elite is 'proper' HD, as opposed to the others, which just pretend to be?

Are there any 'real' advantages to the elite over the premium (like I said before, do you really need 120gb?) or does it come down to what best matches your other electronic peripherals? Which I suspect it may. I don't know which is worse in that case, falling for the marketing or buying it because black goes with the tv and sky box!

£120 for the HDD!? Shocking. I take it you can't just chuck any old drive in there then?

No, it's got a consumer style mount to allow it to clip onto the 360. The ps3 allows any drive.

From that point of view it would seem better value. Do you actually need 120gb though? Can you store stuff (movies/music) on your PC and play it through the 360? What was that thing you lot were downloading the other day, how big was it and how long did it take? Do you think downloading full games will take off? So many questions!

Heh, we were downloading the bioshock demo, which is about 1.4 gigs. The Core doesn't have a drive at all, and the premium has a 20gb. I'm not sure you need bigger than 20gb currently, as most of the downloads are demos that you play and delete.

I actually prefer that it doesn't have wifi, as I don't use it (I have a bridge already, any bridge works or powerline ethernet) and the wii's a pain cos it insists I use wifi.

I don't understand, are you saying the Elite is 'proper' HD, as opposed to the others, which just pretend to be?

Na, he's confused. The core only comes with a composite cable, but theres nowt to stop you buying a component or vga cable and running it at higher resolutions. The elite adds hdmi, but then the new premiums have hdmi too. The elite isn't any more HD than the premium.

Hello

I am thinking about buying an elite or a premium, however i probably will go with the premium as the bundles Amazon are offering save a shed load. And 20g will be enough as i dont plan to download demos and stuff

my question is the premium is updating to have a HDMI port, however does anyone know when they will actually come on sale as i emailed amazon and they didnt even know about the port.

any help would be appreciated

Hello

I am thinking about buying an elite or a premium, however i probably will go with the premium as the bundles Amazon are offering save a shed load. And 20g will be enough as i dont plan to download demos and stuff

my question is the premium is updating to have a HDMI port, however does anyone know when they will actually come on sale as i emailed amazon and they didnt even know about the port.

any help would be appreciated

There's no way of telling from an online store. The only way to tell in a shop is the little hdmi sticker on the box.

You should download demos and Live Arcade, it's one of the best things about the 360.

Archived