[BBC News] Alternative 999 number considered

Newsbot

I have now read the article, and apparently it's supposed to be a "sort-of-emergency" number, y'know, granny might burn her toast and raze her house to the ground in the near future, as such, call 888 and say "Granny's looking longingly at the bread, she might want some toast, despatch a fire engine - slowly!"

The extra number would ease the burden on the 999 service at crucial times, a department spokesman said.

But i bet the number still does not go straight to the emergency services thus not saving anything at all, but rather tying up the operators on less serious calls for them to answer, leading to 999 calls waiting longer. They should charge for the service aswell, all in all i think its a pants idea.

On a more serious note this is probably not a bad idea. If you want to ring about something that is not an emergency e.g. report a dumped car in your road, report a dangerous driver, minor traffic incident, emergency chemist, damage to swings etc. etc. then rather than have to go home and look up various cop shops in the yellow pages etc. - a number like this would be far easier to deal with, routing your enquiry/incident through to the right place.

The reason 999 was used orignally was coz it was almost impossible to dial by accident on the old phone dial systems.

I'm surprised they haven't chosen to use 911 which the americans use, now imortalised by the twin towers.

The additional number only adds to confusion. What happens if its more or less serious than you thought, are we proposing a second central control room, surely all the calls will go to the same place so why not let the operators classify the severity when the get the 999 call.

If it aint bust why fix it??

999 does not go through to the control room, it goes to the MT operators who screen the calls and pass onto the police control room.
You are factually wrong! It is NOT a Police control room it is the Emergeny Services Joint Control Room, which encompasses all 3 Emergency Services.

See HERE

Last 10

999 does not go through to the control room, it goes to the MT operators who screen the calls and pass onto the police control room.
You are factually wrong! It is NOT a Police control room it is the Emergeny Services Joint Control Room, which encompasses all 3 Emergency Services.

See HERE

Last 10

Whofuckincares.jpg

Pretty much the same thing?

Archived