Immigration

Grianane

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=8854

No apols if this has been posted before.

Whats a "senior officer" doing deciding whether we should have more immigration and has he considered the social implications to our housing lists and the demand for housing for people who are being imported to work at salary levels which won't sustain house purchase.

Is this officer prepared to meet the longterm additional costs of social housing and care or are the locals just going to end up paying in future for this cheap labour market so many businesses are profiteering from now??

Its about time the politicians accepted the responsibility to make decisions on these matters

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the people I listen to immigration seems a key concern. The guy from the DTI is out of touch with local sentiment. Granted, if there is labour shortage than that has to be addressed. However, anyone with links to the south east of England will understand the upset when overcrowding occurs and the local culture is undermined.

The politicians really do need to listen and react appropriately on this issue.

I realise that this is 'pub talk' but having heard it several times from different sources over the past few weeks, there may be an element of truth in it?

So here goes:

There are around 500 houses being constructed at Jurby to accomodate our 'allocation' of UK asylum seekers aparently?

Can this be confirmed or denied?

Whats a "senior officer" doing deciding whether we should have more immigration and has he considered the social implications to our housing lists and the demand for housing for people who are being imported to work at salary levels which won't sustain house purchase.

Is this officer prepared to meet the longterm additional costs of social housing and care or are the locals just going to end up paying in future for this cheap labour market so many businesses are profiteering from now??

Its about time the politicians accepted the responsibility to make decisions on these matters

I'm not going to get dragged into the immigration issue because despite your title I don't think it's the point you are making.

I agree completely about officers making policy. Far too many of them are doing it these days - and publicly! The DHSS is another one for doing that, how many times do you hear Dr Kish and before him the other one - McKenna? - pontificating on the radio when it should really be the minister. And they're not the only ones.

I'm not going to get dragged into the immigration issue because despite your title I don't think it's the point you are making.

I agree completely about officers making policy. Far too many of them are doing it these days - and publicly! The DHSS is another one for doing that, how many times do you hear Dr Kish and before him the other one - McKenna? - pontificating on the radio when it should really be the minister. And they're not the only ones.

My point was immigartion and the burden of importing what essentially will become a lower caste with the resultant burden on tax payers, however I do recognise the second thread you have identified.

I agree fully, we pay an awful lot of money for our MHK's and Ministers. The role of the civil service, and local authority staff for that matter, is to report, advise and implement - the only time they shouldn't be seeking approval is where they have a clear policy dictate and authority to act within that policy and any budgetary or resource constraints set by their masters.

Too many are now seen to be adopting a quasi-political role and seeking through the expression of opinion in public to dictate policy.

There are around 500 houses being constructed at Jurby to accomodate our 'allocation' of UK asylum seekers aparently?

That sounds far fetched. If someone has the right to reside in the UK then they can reside in the Isle of Man too. Can you explain how the UK might 'allocate' specific groups of people to the Isle of Man?

I realise that this is 'pub talk' but having heard it several times from different sources over the past few weeks, there may be an element of truth in it?

So here goes:

I heard they were going to use them to rehouse the Pulrose estate ... would save on travelling time for visits to the new prison. ;)

Whether your english,scottish,polish or wherever,your all immigrants to me.How ironic that some of the more vocal people on the island are immigrants themselves,usually southern english cunts

ironic that some of the more vocal people on the island are immigrants themselves,usually southern english

It's the southern English who have first hand experience of the problems immigration can cause. Having said that, we had friends from Bury staying and they are dealing with some really tricky problems too. It seems only fair to warn of the dangers of overcrowding and trying to absorb too many cultures.

I'm not too sure how the UK can "allocate" asylum seekers to a non UK / non EU country

ironic that some of the more vocal people on the island are immigrants themselves,usually southern english

It's the southern English who have first hand experience of the problems immigration can cause. Having said that, we had friends from Bury staying and they are dealing with some really tricky problems too. It seems only fair to warn of the dangers of overcrowding and trying to absorb too many cultures.

STOP - ABSORB TOO MANY CULTURES.

Sorry this is the wrong way around. If people want to come here they should adopt our culture, our language and our

traditions. They should not expect to receive special treatment in any way, they shoudl be grateful for the opportunity to partake in our education and health systems, and work to integrate themselves within our culture.

they shoudl be grateful for the opportunity to partake in our education and health systems, and work to integrate themselves within our culture.

Apart from learning to speak, read and write in English, what do you mean when you say they should work to integrate themselves with our culture, and how are we going to legislate for that?

Archived