Immigration

Grianane

The English? Well ... they're not all bad

guess so - judging from his name Brian Stowell 's predecessors arrived with the first batch of English retirees from strife across the water (albeit 14th C)!

He's not really Manx unless his prehistoric ancestors crawled out of the ocean onto Laxey beach. Immigrants, pah!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm more in favour of young economincally active immigrants coming to work and improve our demographic profile (and potentially settle here and raise families) than whinging retiree immigrants who not only want to avoid the death duties in the place they've worked in all their life but also want a Manx Pension supplement.

I'm more in favour of residency controls than work permit controls on that basis.

The Island should also strive to keep its population level at such that Manx-born does not slip below say 45% of the total population. If we are encouraging immigrants to put roots down (rather than take the money and run), this should be attainable.

I'm more in favour of young economincally active immigrants coming to work and improve our demographic profile (and potentially settle here and raise families) than whinging retiree immigrants who not only want to avoid the death duties in the place they've worked in all their life but also want a Manx Pension supplement.

I'm more in favour of residency controls than work permit controls on that basis.

The Island should also strive to keep its population level at such that Manx-born does not slip below say 45% of the total population. If we are encouraging immigrants to put roots down (rather than take the money and run), this should be attainable.

If the economy were to be managed properly, I can't see why this shouldn't be attainable.

There should be a lot more discussion on the economy from our politicians, and not just this seemingly laxidazical attitude that 'everything is alright for now'.

Without setting criteria, by importing retirees we are investing in major problems for the future - not least in terms of funding healthcare and general care etc. Without deep thought, and actively pursuing the types of business we want to relocate here, we are failing to acknowledge how technology and globalisation are going to affect us in the near term. Paying lip service to a few industries such as plane and ship registers, and not replacing some of the industries that are pulling out (such as Strix) will do nothing for those seeking relatively simple manual work (of which there will always be a certain percentage of the population), and the failure to identify and target high value industries that pay decent salaries will do little to keep some of the most able locals on the island.

If the economy were to be managed properly, I can't see why this shouldn't be attainable.

There should be a lot more discussion on the economy from our politicians, and not just this seemingly laxidazical attitude that 'everything is alright for now'.

Without setting criteria, by importing retirees we are investing in major problems for the future - not least in terms of funding healthcare and general care etc. Without deep thought, and actively pursuing the types of business we want to relocate here, we are failing to acknowledge how technology and globalisation are going to affect us in the near term. Paying lip service to a few industries such as plane and ship registers, and not replacing some of the industries that are pulling out (such as Strix) will do nothing for those seeking relatively simple manual work (of which there will always be a certain percentage of the population), and the failure to identify and target high value industries that pay decent salaries will do little to keep some of the most able locals on the island.

Importing retirees is a big problem. There is already a tendancy towards higher age profiles which will increase, as you point out, pressure on health and general care etc.

Its almost catch 22, increased longevity brings greater demand for health care which increases need to bring in immigrant workers to fill low paid jobs the residents (manx or not) won't do for the money offered. The scenario has the potential to leave service funding spiralling out of control.

the island needs a clear economic policy and a strategy to control population and immigration before its too late.

After reading all the posts, Im getting a little worried... I have just got a good job in Douglas (Im from the UK) and plan to move there in approx 3 weeks time.

I want to make a home for myself - not just for a few years but actually to settle there indefinately. I want to contribute to society and intergrate with your culture, not impose mine.

Have I made the wrong decision by taking the job or will I be welcome?

You'll be welcomed. The insecurities of the minority should not be taken as the gospel for the majority.

There is a need for control of immigration, certainly, but it is a detailed and complex matter.

I'm sure natives of the UK discuss the very same issues regarding the influx of migrant labour.

Look at the housing thats being built here, it can't be for the manx, because we can't afford it, so the immigrants must be buying them and our Island is getting raped in the process for it.

Yes, those housing estates that are purely for non-Manx. What planet do you live on?

Nice to see its only your fifth post and you're already being a troll.

Look at the housing thats being built here, it can't be for the manx, because we can't afford it, so the immigrants must be buying them and our Island is getting raped in the process for it.

Yes, those housing estates that are purely for non-Manx. What planet do you live on?

Whoa hang on there, no need for the insults, what have i done to you? I'm allowed an opinion as well, when the head man of Danara says " he'll be happy when the IOM is only concrete" that says it all to me.

Whoa hang on there, no need for the insults, what have i done to you? I'm allowed an opinion as well, when the head man of Danara says " he'll be happy when the IOM is only concrete" that says it all to me.

Can you provide a source/link for that quote?

Not meant to be a personal insult, I'm just sick of the amount of negative people that come onto this forum. The Island has good and bad people just like the rest of the World. Immigration and emigration is an inevitable consequence of an island, which is all that is happening here.

That quote doesn't make sense, if the head man of Dandara did say that (which I doubt) why does he refer to himself in the third person? Source please.

Other than that, welcome to the forum. ;)

I realise that this is 'pub talk' but having heard it several times from different sources over the past few weeks, there may be an element of truth in it?

So here goes:

There are around 500 houses being constructed at Jurby to accomodate our 'allocation' of UK asylum seekers aparently?

Can this be confirmed or denied?

This old chestnut again.

Rumours like this often surface in an area where the BNP are contesting a local election.

They take the form of: A disused airbase, old hospital etc is being set aside to house thousands of asylum seekers. I have heard the one about Jurby many times and its bollox, mainly because our constitutional position means we cannot offer asylum.

A word of warning on certain immigrants though, last week I was approached by what I took to be a "Roma" gypsy woman offering to sell me some hookey gold rings. My experience of these people in other parts of Europe has not been positive and in my opinion they would steal the eyes from your head if the got the chance.

She is traveling in a white French-registered car and is fat, swarthy and covered in "gold" jewelry

Definately not the sort of immigrant we want here.

Not meant to be a personal insult, I'm just sick of the amount of negative people that come onto this forum. The Island has good and bad people just like the rest of the World. Immigration and emigration is an inevitable consequence of an island, which is all that is happening here.

That quote doesn't make sense, if the head man of Dandara did say that (which I doubt) why does he refer to himself in the third person? Source please.

Other than that, welcome to the forum. ;)

Friends that work for the company, i was only talking to one of then 3 months ago and i said "did he actually say that" and the answer was " yes, he made a mistake there"

Friends that work for the company, i was only talking to one of then 3 months ago and i said "did he actually say that" and the answer was " yes, he made a mistake there"

I was talking to the head man who invented the Pogo Stick and he told me he'd be happy when every person commutes to work on his superior transportation device.

Dang, me and my meaningless hearsay....

Archived