Immigration

Grianane

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His very valid point, is that internet forums are not the place for you to spread stuff your mate told you. Unless you're prepared to offer some sort of validation other than a third hand account from one of the site labourers, then please refrain from putting this kind of stuff on here.

i must admit that i'm one of them immigrants. I'm 25, i'm polish, i work as a supervisor in one of the big stores and i live here for almost two years now. during that time i've noticed great increase of polish people on the island. i understand it might bother lots of locals (or wannabe locals). from my knowledge it's about 7-8 thousand poles here at the moment..

i've chosen to live here because of various reasons and i'm doing my best to contribute to local society. i speak english, socialize with locals, pay my taxes, spend my money here etc. but still i'm being called polish cunt and thrown bottles at. and not by scally looking kids that you may assume would be the first ones to go for it - no sir. most of the times they were well dressed gentlemen in their early thirties, maybe bit younger.

I understand that there is a problem with lots of polish peeps. we come here wanting your money, and we do not give anything back except our labour. Truth is that poles work hard for minimum wage, but only because it is still thre or four times more than they would get in poland.

we look different, speak different, we're everywhere. At shoprite downtown a guy that sells u stuff is polish, person in front of u in a cue is polish and the one behind you is polish as well. and most of them are not very well educated people without understanding of the situation.. but not all of us! some polish people work in banks, offices and even government because they are well qualified to do that job.

what i'm trying to say is that i'm not too happy about the fact that there's so many of polaks here and i'm sorry for those disrespecting behaviours of my kinsmen that i have witnessed many times. but before u gonna throw bottles at me again, pleas try to talk to me first so maybe we can make friends and down those pints and not break them on the ground :)

it is a lovley place to live. i hope it won't get wasted by too much hate. borders are open now and nobody can change it - get used to it.

Hi Jakub, and thanks for coming! You do realise that now you've been here for 2 years you'll be here forever!

Speaking as a Manxie, please don't think the idiots you've encountered is how we all feel. Live where you want to live and I hope you're happy.

If there were 8000 Poles in the Isle of Man that would be 1 in 8 of the population. I cannot remember when I last heard a Polish voice.

you have to understand that many of them don't really leave their homes! work, food shopping and home! beside being polish myself, i know how to recognize a pole. in my previous job we had this game with my boss - spot the polak. and after a year he became very good at it :)(he's irish)

and we were able to count about 50 or 60 every day going past my store :)

I knew a Polish guy through football; mid twenties, well educated with a degree, married with two young children. He worked as an early-morning cleaner, and his wife did cleaning in the evenings. For him it was a simple choice (in his words), a low paid job or limited prospects, or - he can work as a cleaner here and get 3 or 4 times more, providing a better life for him and his family. Although I recognize there is an influx of people - you can't blame them. I know if there were limited prospects here - yet I could get a considerably higher wage and a better quality of life elsewhere, I wouldn't think twice.

There's always going to be Polish troublemakers, but in the same way you get English, Scottish, Irish and Manx idiots.

It's the same for Filipinos; I can't recall hearing of any Filipinos being busted for assualt, drugs or other similar crimes. I lived next to a housefull not so long back, and they were ideal neighbours.

we were able to count about 50 or 60 every day going past my store

I still do not believe there are 8000 Poles in the Isle of Man. This is a small community and we would know, very quickly, about such a large influx. The experience in England is that an influx of Poles leads to the opening of Polish food shops.

Are there any Polish food shops in the Isle of Man?

we were able to count about 50 or 60 every day going past my store

I still do not believe there are 8000 Poles in the Isle of Man. This is a small community and we would know, very quickly, about such a large influx. The experience in England is that an influx of Poles leads to the opening of Polish food shops.

Are there any Polish food shops in the Isle of Man?

There's one on Bucks Road, and Robinson's on the Terrace has just started doing Polish food.

there's one on bucks road opposite bmw garage called taste of poland. robbinson's have polish food in stock too.

the thing is, that polish community in the isle of man is still very young and not consolidated. there's no polish capital to invest yet.

and this 8000 includes seasonal workers too. so its about half of that number that lives here..

His very valid point, is that internet forums are not the place for you to spread stuff your mate told you. Unless you're prepared to offer some sort of validation other than a third hand account from one of the site labourers, then please refrain from putting this kind of stuff on here.

it was from one off the boss's actually, i don't tell lies or make things up, can we move on now, thank you.

Reading this, you get the impression that the Manx are the biggest racists on the planet. Don't forget there is no such thing as a true Manx person - they are products of 'comeovers' at some time or other. You would think that the world ended just beyond the horizon and the world is flat. The island always have had immigrants whether they are Vikings, Scots, Irish, from the north or south of England, Italians, Polish or whatever. It's what keeps the island going, otherwise the 'true' Manx would come extinct. The gene pool is only small here and needs fresh stocks every so often to keep the pool from becoming bad.

To survive, we have to embrace the immigrants (literally if you want). Control how many we get yes, but don't pull up the draw bridge completely. All the locals want to work in the high paid jobs, but who is going to clean the offices, clean the toilets, flip burgers? the jobs we don't want to do. We need somebody to do that, but as the locals don't want to do it, who do we have to employ ?

Before some wag comes on here to tell me there is a boat in the morning etc, my parents are from the big island, although I was born and brought up on the rock, and love the island as much as the next person. The difference is I don't have my head firmly stuck in the sand, and hope it will not happen.

Manx are not Manx, they are just a bunch of great great great grandchild of immigrants - deal with it !!

Well said!

Interesting reading this thread, bearing in mind where I work. Hmmm.

I was just wondering if the IOM people have a distinctive Manx dialect. So far, all I've heard is a mix of Lancashire and Mancunian accents?

Maybe those people were from Lancashire and Manchester...

Yes, the Manx do have their own accent, my Dad's got a corker of an accent yessir, which my younger brother seems to have picked up too.

it was from one off the boss's actually, i don't tell lies or make things up, can we move on now, thank you.

Sure, just don't post any rubbish rumours and you'll be fine.

Archived