Mt Payg Charges

Busby

Is it me - or is everyone happy with MT's Mobile charges? I was listening to John Houghton in Tynwald and was astounded to hear that there had only been 3 complaints about the Pronto Go! service...

I for one am not happy... I have 3 SIM cards. One for MT which only works on the Isle of Man. One Vodafone which works everywhere except the Isle of Man. To be fair, I can make and receive text messages on it on the Island at 30p a time, and receive incoming calls at, I think, £1 a minute. An finally I have an Spanish SIM which allows me to receive calls for free when in Spain, and get this, allows me to call the Isle of Man from Spain for 20e/Min [less than it costs me to call the IOM on the Island on my Pronto Go! SIM!]

With both my other [Vodafone] SIM's I can use them anywhere in Europe, and they remain active so long as I make a call or send a text once a year. With my Pronto SIM, as I said, it only works on the Island, there is no Voicemail, both Vodafone SIM's have voicemail and both of them offer a range of price plans.

MT says it cannot afford to reduce prices. I say let the competition in and see what happens. There are now more Mobiles on the Island than Land Lines, the infrastructure costs must be a fraction of those of Land Lines so why the rip-off prices?

Finally, don't even mention contract phones.... Free minutes, free texts, free phones, loyalty schemes - all available in the UK - Isle of Man?? no chance. The really annoying bit - 02 who I understand are a major share holder in MT keep e-mailing me with offers of Free Phones Free Mins, Free Texts etc!!! They are almost giving things away. :(

Rant over...

Finally, don't even mention contract phones.... Free minutes, free texts, free phones, loyalty schemes - all available in the UK - Isle of Man?? no chance. The really annoying bit - 02 who I understand are a major share holder in MT keep e-mailing me with offers of Free Phones Free Mins, Free Texts etc!!! They are almost giving things away.  :(

I've heard that these sorts of packages will be made available reasonably soon. From what I can gather, it's actually a technical problem as opposed to a commercial decision. No doubt they're working on the solution as I type! Probably.

Incidentally, MT is a wholely owned subsiduary of o2.

Thanks for that...

Exactly why are we 'Roaming' when we leave the Island I wonder? You can buy an 02 SIM and use it anywhere in the UK and Northern Ireland and not be Roaming - use 02's service on the Isle of Man and you are!

Let the competition in I say...

BTW - with a name like 'Busby' you might have guessed it - yes I did work for MT for 18 years - enjoyed every minute of it and left on the best of terms....

I'm glad someone has raised the issues of mobiles on the IOM. As a Manx women living abroad I do occasionaly come home and what do I find. My Orange phone works on the rest of the entire planet but guess what? not the IOM. So I went and got an O2 SIM card that does work in the IOM but at "rest of world rates" which are extortionate. What is it with the IOM its supposed to be a finanacial centre but most people who do not live here cannot get their mobiles to work when they visit- really useful! I know of several firms who will not do business with the IOM because of this. Whats going on?

You can get voicemail call 121 on your mobile if it says the number doesn't exist call 154 and ask them to enable it I did the other day.

I think the rates are stupid and they are stupid because there isn't an alternative, mt can charge what they like and if you don't like it then you will have to write letters instead . It's the same with food/drink on the boat, if you haven't brought your own stuff on or require more then you pay through the nose for it because it isn't as if you can go elsewhere in the middle of the irish sea!

I agree with busby on the whole infrastructure cost, a wired network must cost so much more with 100's of thousand of miles of cable to maintain and power and network alterations like extra lines to an address or swapping lines etc are labour intensive. on the other hand mobile networks are antenna's and all the network alterations are mainly software based.

monopoly is the key word here, same can be said for gas, electricity and chips!

we pay piddling amount of tax, i don't think its entirely unreasonable that some services are expensive. however its too expensive at the moment, and could do with these services levelling out a bit before we can say overall we have a better deal than our uk cousins.

Probably why Manx Telecom's total revenue for the year ended 31 March 2004 increased by 4% to £50 million, with the EBITDA (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Deduction and Amortization) up 21% to £23 million.

Source

Archived