[BBC News] Man injured in house attack dies

Newsbot

Didn't realise the injuries were that bad!, Guess their looking at manslaughter not ABH now.

Poor guy :(

Surely if it was with intent there is more than a possiblility of a murder charge - could you reasonably expect someone to die as a result of what was done. If so its murder - I think - Mr Wright is that correct?

Surely if it was with intent there is more than a possiblility of a murder charge - could you reasonably expect someone to die as a result of what was done. If so its murder - I think - Mr Wright is that correct?

Awful.

I think murder is all about intent, did you knowingly try to kill him.

Didn't realise the injuries were that bad!, Guess their looking at manslaughter not ABH now.

Poor guy :(

From memory of nightime Law class

Mens Rea = Guilty Mind (Intent of the crime)

Actus Reus = Guilty Act (Pysical act of the crime)

For Murder both have to be proved - manslaughter is the killing act without the intent to kill - so the court would have to prove the attackers intended to killl for a murder conviction.

How do you prove they intended to kill though?

If you get charged with GBH and the victim then dies, a murder charge can be imposed. GBH mens rea is to cause serious harm to someone, which is enough for a murder MR.

As I can't remember what these guys were charged with, I am being hypothetical!

Murder is the appropriate charge when a victim dies as the result of injuries sustained from an attack which can be made out as GBH. The basic reasoning behind this is that an attacker should not be able to avoid culpability for the full consequences of their actions: if they attack someone intending to do them really serious harm then they must accept that, in inflicting such harm, there is a risk that the victim will die.

It's pretty exceptional, but if there was some intervening act (novus actus interveniens) that could be shown to have caused the death, such as the victim sustaining additional injuries through a separate attack, then a GBH charge could still be appropriate for the original attackers. If I remember case law correctly even where the victim dies from an infection contracted in hospital the infection is not sufficient as a novus actus and the original attackers would still be culpable.

Archived